Were You A Gullible JW?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

Born in to an elder dad and pioneer mom. Didn’t have much of a choice until I got old enough to leave home.

• minimus
    minimus

Lots of people were raised and didn’t have much choice til later

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If gullible means taking the WTS's interpretation of the bible as being accurate, honestly naive and vulnerable then the answer to most JWS has to be yes.

There are a lot of religious charlatans who quoted scriptures selectively out the bible to support their own specific doctrine and went about being dismissing other Scriptures which unsupported or apposed the doctrine to which these men were trying to achieve.

You can see this with the WTS/JWS too particular with their date setting of Christ's return (1914) and the end times, Armageddon just around the corner.

Doctrines which the WTS held onto since the early part of the 20th century ie early 1900's and before.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

In hindsight...yep.

If Tony Morris had banged on my front door at 2 in the morning waking me out of a sound sleep, told me to grab my keys and follow him as he got in his car and sped away.... I'd have done just that without question (think 2" paintbrush vs. 4" paintbrush) following his tail lights at high-speed right off the edge of a cliff.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Exactly Finkelstein.

Right on the money. Gullibility of humans drives this religion more than most of the other 35,000 plus other organised religious claimants to 'Christianity'.

jtg..........

• blondie
    blondie

I watched jws that ran to the elders for everything, like what color to paint the house (true story).

Many jws want everlasting life in a paradise on earth surrounded by resurrected loved ones (phew) so bad that they will not let any little mistake on their part to jeopardize it, so they have to get an WTS authorized (or unauthorized) elder decision. No matter how weird or strange.

If an elder or WTS/GB tells you to jump, you ask "how high?"

Is this gullible or wishful thinking? Many jws have invested so much of their time, money, life, they feel it is too late to get off the railroad track even when the train is close enough they can see the eyes of the engineer.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

As a born in, I knew that the early leaders had had some let downs when Jehovah hadn't shown up to fulfill some of the promises made on his behalf by the WT hierarchy, so I was never fully convinced enough to let them dunk me. That didn't stop me making some mistakes by trusting my parent's wisdom when they should have been protecting me from nutters, while not realising that they were the nut jobs they were supposed to be protecting me from.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Is there any other kind??

I truely believed the teachings of the borg.

• tiki
    tiki

Gullible...some in the religion definitely fit the descriptor....others not so much. A lot are stuck in a bad place and its all they know....some want out but can't find the door....but to truly be in it and going strong I think requires a certain amount of gullibility....after all, reality does exist.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

You don't have to be gullible to be a JW...

...but it helps. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit