Were You A Gullible JW?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• jp1692
    jp1692
    I Quit: I'm not sure if the ones that stay in but don't believe it are gullible; maybe they just don't want to deal with the consequences of leaving or lack the courage take a stand.

Of course. It’s complicated, as I said in my earlier posts.

Nevertheless, I believe all of the things you wrote are true. They certainly are not mutually exclusive.

A person can be unwilling “to deal with the consequences of leaving [and] lack the courage take a stand” and be gullible insofar as they believe (and/or rationalize to themselves) that they don’t have a choice in the matter.

Not all chains are physical.

That being said, if someone accepts in full knowledge and commits to an inauthentic life—pretending to believe things they actually don’t—then they aren’t being gullible; they are being cowardly.

• minimus
    minimus

“All cult members are gullible “... jp, that is a black and white statement and it is incorrect.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus, please see my response to I Quit.

They brought up a good point which persuaded me to reconsider my initial post.

In retrospect I would now revise my initial post to read: “The vast majority of cult members are gullible. Those that aren’t are probably cowards or fools, maybe both.”

Still, it’s not like there wasn’t any context for my initial statement which you quoted. Did you even read the balance of my posts? I am just trying to have a discussion on an interesting subject for us ex-cult members, particularly in light of the fact that many of us still have family or friends captive to this religion.

As I said before, your threads "often feels like you are baiting forum members for an argument rather than inviting us to a genuine discussion.”

Your last few comments only confirm my opinion in this regard. For this reason, I rarely post in your threads. But this one intrigued me, so I made an exception.

Was that a mistake?

• minimus
    minimus

I responded to your comment as I read it when you posted it. I’m glad you changed your statement. I’m not trying to bait you or anyone else . I think we both want to help people realize the truth about the Organization. I think we are on the same side and we have differences as to how we express ourselves. It’s all good !

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus, thank you for clarifying!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    min - I think every congregation has their group that sees everything as a sign that they are God’s Chosen People.

It's how cults keep sheeple in.

If a Witness didn’t go to a meeting and a storm came and destroyed their house and killed them, and only the Kingdom Hall was saved, that was a sign that we should be in Jehovah’s house.

Again. Typical cult propaganda. I wonder how they would explain the Lillelid family murders? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillelid_murders

If Russia persecuted JWs , it’s proof we are living in the last days.

I'm sure the Jobos think it's persecution. I'm sure the Russians don't think it's persecution.

Since the religion is all about genuine love (supposedly) some foolishly believe that no matter what happens the brotherhood will be there for them.

Delusion!

So tell me were you or others you knew really gullible Witnesses?

Of course. You can't be a believing Jobo without believing nonsense....just like ALL religion.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about when a witless does attend a boasting session, only to have the building damaged or destroyed (by man-made or natural events), and they die in that? Or, they go out in field circus and get hit by a car trying to cross a street in bad weather, needing blood? I stay home, and miss that event--what about that? Where does joke-hova stand with that, when that thing wants unnecessary suffering?

• minimus
    minimus

If something bad happens it’s simply time and unforeseen occurrence. It had nothing to do with Jehovah or his angels.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I took it in like a dry sponge..hi minimus!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Absolutely when I converted and was responsible for about 10 other family members to join.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit