The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures argues for more than one GOD

by smiddy 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

Gen.1:26 "And god went on to say "Let Us make man in our image according to our likeness.....etc,etc,.

The key words here are "US" and " OUR" ,he is including other life forms just like him in using plurals.

He did not say " I" will make man in "MY" image ,using the singular vernacular

The same is also noted in Gen 3:22 "And Jehovah God went on to say " Here the man has become like one of " US"

Again he is using the plural and not the singlar language clearly showing their were other life forms on an equal footing to him.

Also Satan via the serpent also knew the difference between good and bad before he tempted Eve , showing he was on a par with Jehovah God in knowing that fact along with the other Gods in heaven.

Another scripture that comes to mind is 1 Cor.8:5 "........just as their are many Gods and many Lords,,,"

And satan himself is called in scripture 2Cor.4:4 ....The God of this system of things ..."

Of all the GODS that exist in the heavens only Jehovah was assigned over the earth , however Satan tried to usurp that authority and that is why the Bible is as it is today.

But clearly Jehovah is not the ony God in existence,

The foregoing reasoning is based on the NWT of the "HOLY BIBLE"

I look forward to your comments.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Duet 32:8,9 Look it up in the silver sword. The gest of it though is that the "Most High" divided the nations and Israel is YHWH/Jehovah/etc's 'inheritance'. So other nations given to others. Also how can the almighty 'inherit' something? Inherit must be passed down. (All of that would make a good argument for why Jesus appears to be God if confusing the almighty and if he was prehuman YHWH)

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Smiddy,

The name of the God in Genesis 1 is EL. He was the chief God who with his wife Asherah had 70 sons. This group was known as the Elohim. While EL was a kindly God, Yahweh was a minor fierce warrior. It is likely he originated in a southern neighbour of Israel/Judah.

Until the 6th century BCE neo-Babylonian period, the majority of the Henrews were polytheists. The Yahweh-alone party did not get their way until the nation went through the Captivity, and we now read their propaganda.

The creation myth at Genesis 2 (which was written earlier than the Genesis 1 account by a different group) uses the name YHWH. The group that wrote Genesis 1 did not use "YHWH" until it was revealed to Moses at the burning bush, but employed EL and Elohim.

Anyway, how does anyone really know what these gods said to one another at Genesis 1? Any eyewitnesses?

The writings attributed to Moses are pretty much myth from beginning to end. They are not literal history; they are religious stories with moral teachings.

Doug

• sir82
    sir82

Gen.1:26 "And god went on to say "Let Us make man in our image according to our likeness.....etc,etc,.

The key words here are "US" and " OUR" ,he is including other life forms just like him in using plurals.

He did not say " I" will make man in "MY" image ,using the singular vernacular

The same is also noted in Gen 3:22 "And Jehovah God went on to say " Here the man has become like one of " US"

Again he is using the plural and not the singlar language clearly showing their were other life forms on an equal footing to him.

???

That's what the original Hebrew text says.

Your problem is with the Bible itself, not just the NWT.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

The whole notion of the Jewish concept of One God was because they were surrounded by polytheist. I don't believe that the True God had 70 sons and was married. That was/is not what God is in reality. Of course, just my opinion.

One thing that got me about the trinity concept was the 'One God' thing, that is proclaimed over and over again in the old testament. How can there be a trinity when the OT totally states One God? How does God say "let US make man in OUR image" and still be One God?

After a little research, I found something very interesting.

In Hebrew there are 2 words for ONE. YACHID & ECHAD. These 2 words have different meanings.

SO there is the ONE that we all recognize.' I'll have ONE of those please'

Then there is the other word for one that indicates a type of plurality. Like 'Man and woman became One flesh', Or 'day and night became One day'

When the bible states that God is One, it is ALWAYS with the plural One.So even the OT proclaims that there is more to God than ONE being.

Check for yourself, I didn't make it up.

The Truth WIll Set You Free

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The word Elohim means gods plural and the word lord means Baal . El is the top God of the Canaanite pantheon . Bible translators have done a lot of spinning over the decades but those are the facts.

• Steel
    Steel

In the Old Testament there is a figure sometimes called “the angel of the lord “that is identified with god and sometimes as god. There is also a figure called “the word of the lord “and it would usually say “the word of the Jehovah appeared and Jehovah said. There really seems to be a blurring of identify of LORD Yahweh Jesus whatever. There are also times where god would refer to himself in the third person “the LORD said unto the LORD.”

Now a good JW is going to say that Jehovah God must have manifest himself in the form of an angel but the bible doesn’t actually say that. There are also times where Yahweh and the Angel of Lord appear together. It’s really strange stuff.

When you get to the New Testament and read the book of John and he says “the word was with god and the work was god “and then he quotes a passage in the book of Isiah “ make way for the path of the lord our god “ and then he says “ He person has ever seen god or heard god, just the son “.

Well don’t have to be Sherlock Homes to realize he is referring to the two Yahweh or Jehovah of the old testament. It’s also the reason Paul would apply old testament quotes to Jesus like “ Call upon the name of the lord “ or calling jesus the visible image of the invisible god.

This subject is the very thing that awoke me to how incredibly clueless the WTS is. Once you understand basic bible theology is sure makes it hard to attend anymore.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Steel - "...Once you understand basic bible theology, it sure makes it hard to attend anymore."

Hell, once you understand basic Bible theology, it makes it hard to even believe anymore. :smirk:

• Steel
    Steel

The majority of us are here because we have family still trapped in the cult. The best we can do is have a proper knowledge of the scriptures or at least know what was the intent of the authors was. More of a B.A or Masters of theological studies type of knowledge from a secular University, than an actual bible school.

The idea of pretending you are Neil Degrasse Tyson and just mocking the bible or their beliefs doesn’t really accomplish much. The Trojan horse approach is what I prefer.

Plus heck, I just enjoy learning about theology.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It comes as a shock to learn that during the latter part of the Jewish Bible writing time period, the acknowledgement was that the partisan god of Israel YHVH, was not monotheist at all but henotheist i.e. the one to be worshipped exclusively among the many gods. It was only too apparent there were "many gods and many lords"!

In Genesis however the perception of god was clearly polytheist. Even when henothism replaced it, the god of Israel YHVH, simultaneously took on the duties later attributed to Satan ...(Amos 3;6) which is what would have been expected from any god of the Canaanites or other contemporaries. The whimsical god who both destroyed your crop and killed your enemies... gods were like that in those days!

My own researches show as Doug Mason tells, that Yahweh's consort was Ashera who was also his father's consort. Ashera appears to have been misunderstood by the KJ version of the Bible which omitted her name by referring instead to the high places where her images were revered. She fulfilled the role of the Queen of Heaven in the Canaanite pantheon as a fertility goddess. The sanitized Christian story of Jewish monotheism is a whitewash. We even have the names of some of Yahweh's brothers in the Bible; Chemosh for example.

YHVH or Jehovah, as the stone reliefs found in Palestine show; was an ox-headed idol, presented in the Egyptian manner seated and with long crescent shaped horns, these usually refer to a Moon God.

How did this wooden idol YHVH made by superstitious goat herders, get to become the almighty creator? It makes you think!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit