A book on the pronunciation of God's Name

by Doug Mason 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I am neither recommending nor rejecting the following book. I am simply saying that I stumbled across it. I have neither read it nor studied it.

Search with: The Name of God Y.eH.oW.aH Which is Pronounced as it is Written I Eh oU Ah Its Story GÉRARD GERTOUX

A search will find a free simplified version at Academia.edu and a Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpGXSyIqTc

https://www.dreilindenfilm.de/shop/der-name-gottes_en.html

My current opinion is that prior to 70 CE the Sadducees operated the Jerusalem temple and those priests became to only people who could utter God's Holy Name on certain occasions. When the temple was destroyed, the Sadducees and their rituals ceased, to be overtaken in time by Rabbinic Judaism.

Doug

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

marked

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Did the Jews stop using the divine name before 70CE?

What about:

1. Diodorus in the first century BCE who said the Jews called their God Iao?

2. LXX fragment 4QLXXLevb dating from the first century BCE using Iao instead of Kyrios.

3. Continued use of Iao in onomastica beyond the first century CE.

Old Testament scholar Bob Becking concluded: “Jews continued to articulate the divine name as yahô well into the Christian era. The mystical use of Ιαω is to be seen as a later development provoked by changing ideas on the character of the divine. His [Frank Shaw’s] argument is compelling.”

http://www.thlz.com/artikel/19214/?inhalt=heft%3D2016%23r548

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6276841381822464/most-successful-teaching-jehovahs-witnesses-amazing-new-book-on-divine-name

• johnamos
    johnamos

I have determined that the name should be spelled Yehoah/Jehoah. (With no V)

That is based on there being no questioning the accuracy of modern pronunciations of Hebrew bible names such as:

Yah/Jah

Yehoshua/Jehoshua

Yehoshaphat/Jehoshaphat

Yshayah/Isaiah

If you read about 'mater lections' you will find that the V in YHVH is not to be written as a V(or W) but is instead a 'placeholder' for 'O'/'U' and in the following Hebrew names they use 'O'.

Yod י

He ה

Vav ו

He ה

יה – Yah

ישעיה - Yshayah (Isaiah)

Yehoshua

יהושע

Yehoshaphat

יהושפט

Yeho

יהו

With the above not being questioned then it stands to reason the name is:

Yehoah/Jehoah

יהוה

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

So the Biblical God is the one and only Almighty god. And he exists for Eternity.

He was never created. And he named himself with a mysterious pronunciation, which is still under debate. And he created a Book for mankind. And his only begotten son never mentioned his name, not even once.

And down the lane, the Biblical Translators took off the most holy name from the most holy book until this injustice was discovered by CT Russell, 1900 years later. And this Jealous god, kept quiet all the way down until the 20th Century

And today, the only Christian denomination that uses Almighty name is JWs but even then this Organization is banned in 34 countries for many decades.

Ahh… This Universal truth makes perfect sense to me

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I always thought it was Almighty Dude

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought it was Harrold. You know; Harrold be thy name.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Immediately the creators of the video betray their prejudice but suggesting there is some desire to "conceal" the name of this deity. That's the stuff of conspiracy theorists.

History of the deity is not surprising largely lost to time but the OT seems to suggest the deity was from southern Edom, (mount Seir) to the south. The oldest inscription is Egyptian and the name appears to be a place name again in a similar region to the south of Israel not specifically the name of a deity. It's quite possible that this deity did come north with Kenite traders as proposed by many scholars, localized and eventually supplanting El the namesake for the national name Isra-el. The name of the deity was undoubtedly pronounced a variety of localized ways through its history. The Hebrew pronunciation varied with time and linguistic influence just like any other name.

By the time of the exile the full name YHWH most likely was pronounced Yahweh as accepted by broad scholarship for good reasons for many years. A 3 syllabic pronunciation Yahuah is not impossible but creates meter issues in poetry where it exists and complicates the existence of 2 syllabic translations in antiquity and is therefore much less likely.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There is a problem with the pronunciation of name of the God of the Israelites: the Hebrew alphabet is an abjad.

An abjad is an alphabet that's made of consonants only. Short vowels are not written.

So, we have 4 consonants - YHWH. We don't know what vowels were sounded between them. The Israelites living thousands of years ago had a way of pronouncing their God's name, but this has been lost over time.

Arabic is similar to Hebrew in this respect.

If I transliterated the 3 Arabic letters - waw, lam & dal - into English as 'wld' and left out the two short vowels ... how would you pronounce it? Because 'wld' (ولد) is a word in Arabic.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

The earliest Hebrew spelling of gods name was El. This was thought only to be a title until they found the city of Ugarit in 1929 where they discovered the head god of the pantheon of Canaanites named El. Writing there described this god in many of the same way Jehovah is described in the Bible. The word Adonai is also more common in the Bible for gods name then people think. YHWH could mean anything and is not a shortening of gods name in my opinion, in fact some believe this is a title for several gods in the pantheon.

I think the Jews were heavily influenced by their neighbors and not all the Jews worshiped the same god. There’s proof they worshiped Baal, ashurah, RA, Iao, Marduk, Helios just to name a few.

Also many of the Bible texts may not have been speaking about the same god but at a later date were edited to make seam as though it was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit