Biology Lesson for the guys

by wasasister 17 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Warning: I am about to discuss a rather delicate subject. If the words “menstruation” or “period” gross you out, please stop reading now.

I am going to attempt to keep names out of this discussion, as my thoughts are directed to the general population, not one individual. I am fairly certain, however, that someone may take this personally and react with anger and insults. I hope this is not the case, as I do not have a grudge against any person, nor do I wish to be caught up in an exchange of personal attacks. If I fail to respond to personal insults, it is not because you have bested me, or I am afraid of you, or I can’t stand the heat; it is simply that I do not wish to waste my time with such futility.

Some history on what lead up to my desire to write today: not long ago, a poster suggested I was emotional or irrational because of my monthly cycle. I was somewhat taken aback by the harsh tone of the post. Was the insult provoked? Possibly…I had made what I felt was a gently humorous comment on the way the poster structured a sentence, perhaps having a chuckle at their expense. From the instant and hostile nature of the replies, it was obvious I had touched a nerve. The insults continued, even on threads where I was not a participant. I have had no past conflict with this individual and have no reason to have negative feelings towards him/her. I was not angry at the poster, as anger would imply I cared one way or the other what they thought about me, but I was annoyed even some days later. The reason for my annoyance became focused recently in a chat where someone (a male) mentioned how inappropriate it is for men to use women’s hormones as a justification to discount their opinions.

It then struck me why I took this insult more seriously than most. It goes to some very important issues and I address my comments to anyone out there who might make an off-handed remark without thinking. Please be assured, I am not without a sense of humor on the subject of women’s ailments. I’ve laughed at and passed on such jokes as: “Why do we call it PMS? Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.” However, to make an insulting comment to a woman you do not know about her personal cycle is completely inappropriate. If any of you men don’t believe me, ask your wives, sisters, girlfriends, or mothers. (Gentlemen, please use caution how you phrase such a question if you value your…well, you know.)

To suggest a woman should not speak, act, think or offer an opinion because of her biology is not just insulting, it is dangerous. This very type of thinking has kept women from holding responsible positions for thousands of years. “Oh, we can’t have a woman in the Pentagon, she might push the wrong button if she gets cranky.” Thankfully, this type of discrimination is slowly diminishing in most developed nations, but is still rampant in much of the world. Are women any less a slave to their bodies than men? How many lives have been lost because men let their hormones interfere with their reasoning? We must play fair, if we are going to be using a broad stroke to deride an entire gender.

Such conditions as PMS and postpartum blues are serious problems for many women. For millions of others, the days of the month go by pretty much the same, except for a minor inconvenience and some extra dollars spent at the drug store. Due to a fairly healthy and active lifestyle, I am fortunate to have lived my life in the latter category. I have never experienced the debilitating conditions many of my female friends have, but even if I did, my ability to function in society should not be questioned.

I respectfully ask that you think of this as you would a race issue. Yes, some ethnic jokes are funny and I am ashamed to admit having told a few in my life. However, to seriously suggest you can predict a person’s conduct (usually negative) because they are Black, Irish, Polish, Arabic, Jewish, Southern, or Menstruating is inaccurate and hateful.

Thank you for your patience in dealing with a touchy subject.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Very well expressed; I agree completely.

I suspect one of the causes of this attitude on this board is due to our shared JW background. Women are routinely denigrated by the WTS, though sometimes in subtle ways. Thus the way is paved for insecure men to use whatever excuse comes to mind to shut women up. Instead of dealing with an inconvenient retort or argument, they can reach into their bag of excuses and pull out the one labeled "Hormonal."

LOL, as if many of the rabid arguments we see on this board between men aren't in some way influenced by testosterone! We are all subject to the chemical ebbs and flows within our body and mind. That doesn't detract from a well-reasoned argument, however, and should never be used as an excuse to dodge logic and truth.

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's my impression that only those who distinguish themselves as dimbulbs in plenty of other ways also insult women about their monthly cycle problems. It's a cheap way for the stupid to avoid dealing with actual issues.

AlanF

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hey sis......very well said. I am past that time of my life, thank GOD!! I also breezed through all those months, since I was 13, for the most part. But, my husband and my sons would never fail to call me the 'once a month witch', if I ever lost my temper, or corrected the boys, or raised my voice. It was REALLY infuriating when they were right. And of course, they knew ahead of time when they were right. Many men automatically discount our feelings as being hormonally caused. Not nice, not respectful in any way. I appreciate your comments very much.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Excellent post, nicely done!!
    Actually, it does amaze me that some can make such senseless comments. But then again, the MALE-IS-KING attitude of Jdub-dome has and will always use that "weaker vessel" shyt to make women feel like lesser persons.
    In my ENTIRE life, I have known only 1 woman who couldnt perform her duties at our place of employment due to her period, and THAT was a very uncharacteristically severe episode.
    Sadly, I have hard as many women joke about this as I have heard men joking about it. I say sadly because I think women simply are trying to beat guys to the punch in order to avoid some insensitive, insulting comment from a guy.

Boozy

• LDH
    LDH

I too, have had an easier time than my friends when it comes to my 'monthly friend.' I've got good friends who go through AGONY at that time of the month; who of us is in a good mood when we don't feel well?

I got my just desserts, last year though. After 7 year of being on the birth control pill, we decided it was time to have a baby. So, I discontinued the use of the pill. For the first time in my life, I experienced painful cramping, and emotional imbalance. On certain days I would call my husband and tell him not to come home from work expecting me to be in a good mood, I wasn't cooking dinner and, as a matter of fact, please don't even look at me or talk to me! (believe it or not, he appreciated knowing I was having a hard day in advance of coming home--this allowed him to make the needed mental adjustments.)

The mood swings were at times violent, and I would yell at my husband and daughter for doing things that at other times would not upset me. So for the first time in my life, I understood what PMS was.

The difference here is that, I have just acknowledged that as a woman we WELL KNOW WHEN THAT TIME IS COMING, AND IF WE HAVE MOOD SWINGS OR OTHER RESULTS OF HORMONE SURGES, WE KNOW IT'S COMING. Ask any woman; most of the time we will avoid stressful situations during that time.

Point being, not every outburst can be attributed to our menstrual cycles. As fellow human beings, God gave us the gift of our emotions and we are entitled to use all of them including anger, when appropriate.

The fact that some men use distasteful remarks when referring to a woman's cycle ("She's on the rag"), and the fact that some men have never known respect for a woman--these make it a little hard to stomach the "She must have PMS" comments.

Was, I think this is a brilliant subject--kudos to you!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Ah, the good old days. I never had too much trouble with PMS, but the pain used to be so bad that I would vomit and be unable to do anything but curl in a fetal position and cry. Back then, the doctor prescribed narcotic pain killers for me, which, needless to say were quite welcome.

My husband frequently walks a thin line, however, when he counters any angry response from me with, "Well, I guess YOU have the rag on", rather than acknowledging the issue that has caused my anger in the first place.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Now, why did I just know, two of the more enlightened male members of the board would be the first to respond? Thanks, guys. The women in your lives are blessed.

Ladies: thanks for your comments. Until people evolve to the point where they can acknowledge issues without attacking the person, we're doomed to a world of flame-wars....sometimes with real flames.

• Tina
    Tina

(((((sis))))))))))) Well Said!!
    Yep it's nothing more than prejudice and a way of presenting women as 'lesser' beings.
    The bible and patriarchy has a lot to do with it. I'll leave it at that)for now anyway lol)
    Thank you for the great post sis! Luv ya,Tina

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Yep it's nothing more than prejudice and a way of presenting women as 'lesser' beings. The bible and patriarchy has a lot to do with it.

G'day Tina, You ungrateful bitch! Man is the mother of women and don't you forget it!

'delicate' uncoolbruce who wants his rib back

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit