Is the idea of immortality in any way possible?

by logansrun 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I believe that the only way we are immortal is due to our Soul and not our flesh. This soul does not exist like our fleetingly short lifespan here. The soul is very old and lives within the human host through eons of time. In this way, our stored memory of experiences does become part of "our soul". All is connected to the One Source in the universe.

I've always felt the most happy, comfortable and secure when listening to my "inner stirrings". If this is faith, then this is my faith, my belief. Death is just another door to another life, in which the body will become the host for my soul.

Western religions try to make everything into the "human concept", when we are so much more than human. The Eastern religions have long honored the meaning and journey of our soul. But, I believe that the world as a whole is finally beginning to merge together on these ideals. In the years to come, there will be many changes.

Life does go on....

/<

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bradley:
    Immortality is a given, like gravity, and losing a sock in the tumble drier.
    Trust me on this one, ok?

(Hehehe)

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

How I rationally defend the idea of immortality:

Science not only defines what exists, it can define what should exist but hasn't been found yet. For instance, the periodic table was defined and explained long before some of the elements contained on the table were found in reality. Scientists were even able to predict some of the properties of these elements, based on where they SHOULD be on the periodic table. All the evidence pointed to their existence and their properties - just no "concrete" or "material" proof.

Now, a high and mighty scientist of the early 1900's could scoff at some of the predictions of the periodic table. But they came true, and that scientist, by ruling out everything that he had no experience of, made himself look like a fool.

So too, those who insist that materialism has all the answers, are ruling out everything that they personally haven't had any experience with. Even if they DO come across an article postulating scientific evidence for life after death, they refuse to consider it and denounce it as quackery.

So, just because some scientific types are dismissive of immortality does not prove it false. Now, is there any evidence that points to immortality in humans?

The first is the very idea - it is both a current premise and an ancient myth. Where did such an idea come from? If we evolved, always from mortal creatures, and we are surrounded by death and decay as a basic part of our universe - why is the notion of immortality so deeply ingrained in the human psyche? Why is it the simplest (Occam's razor) explanation for good moral behavior? It seems to belong in our minds as much as a need for order and security. The concept actually works against evolution, by promoting self-defeating actions that destroy the body, often before reproduction can take place. And yet it is recurring and ubiquitous.

The second point that indicates a "place" where immortality might reside is experimentation with the paranormal. These tests, while widely denounced, often bring back mysterious and inexplicable results.

The third, and most telling point, I think, is the incredible difference between humans and animals. Researchers are always finding ways that we are similar to animals, but every day we are confronted with the massive lengths from the most complex chimp to us. There is something different about us, and I think it is the development of the soul.

CZAR

• drwtsn32
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Czar

Why would you rule out the possibility that chimps may also have souls that survive the death of their bodies?

SS

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

How does the mind "see" color?

The brain , as observed, has an electro-chemical codes . The mind not only observes the codes it interprets them. The codes are "read" by the mind.

CONCLUSION!

The mind must have a "code dictionary". The nature of that dictionary is that it exists independent of the codes. Why so? Because codes do not "create" ideas they symbolize them. Therefore the idea comes first then the code for the idea . Implicit in this is the possibility of a world of "ideas". A world without "codes". Without physical brains.

This can best be understood by asking yourself...Where does "color" come from ? What is say , "red".

• logansrun
    logansrun

czar,

The first is the very idea - it is both a current premise and an ancient myth. Where did such an idea come from? If we evolved, always from mortal creatures, and we are surrounded by death and decay as a basic part of our universe - why is the notion of immortality so deeply ingrained in the human psyche?

First off, many ancient people's believed that animals and other living things also had spirits which survived death. They believed that there were demons, fairies, ghosts and other things that go "bump" in the night everywhere. By and large, ancient cultures had some pretty strange beliefs that are dead wrong -- who is to say that immortality is not one of them? Popularity of belief does not mean it is true. About a billion people on this planet are Muslims -- does that prove they are the right religion? Surely you don't think so czar.

Why is it the simplest (Occam's razor) explanation for good moral behavior? It seems to belong in our minds as much as a need for order and security.

That appears to be the answer. One could call it a psychological cructh. (This does not mean it is not true, though)

The concept actually works against evolution, by promoting self-defeating actions that destroy the body, often before reproduction can take place. And yet it is recurring and ubiquitous.

No it doesn't. Think about what you are saying: that belief in immortality promotes reckless behavior. Well, is this true? Most people today believe both in some form of life after death as well as treasure their life right now. Although you will have the occasional lunatic who is willing to die simply because he is immortal, most people care to live as long as they can as well as entertain an afterlife.

It's a weak argument czar, admit it.

Do I also gather that you do not accept evolutionary biology?

Bradley

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Well, I'm not about to run out and kill myself to find out. I accept the idea of the immortal soul. If I'm right, some people are in trouble...if I'm wrong...no one will EVER know.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Yeru,

I accept the idea of the immortal soul. If I'm right, some people are in trouble

How so?

Bradley

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Brad,

Because I also accept everything else that normally goes with the idea of an immortal soul, and eternal heaven and an eternal hell...some people won't be eating Ice Cream for all eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit