Vigil held for Burney man who died after being set on fire

by no password 26 Replies latest social current

• Funchback
    Funchback

Food for thought...

If the guy we're John Q. Apostate and this was a pro-JW message board, would the responses be "sad", "horrific" or "RIP"? I AM actually commending you all for having normal human reaction.

Still, if it were any of us set on fire, the typical JW responses would be "See what happens when you leave Jehovah"? or "It's too late for her. She has no resurrection hope".

• no password
    no password
    'Don Garloff, a representative from Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witness in Burney, said the congregation, of which Wicks' was a member, is not making a statement at this time. However, Garloff said that Wicks had a knack for remembering names and an outgoing personality.
    "Dave had a personality that wasn't just in the store, but in his door-to-door ministry," he said.'

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

When we first heard about this horrific event, we were stunned and saddened like so many others. My jw wife's reaction was, "Jehovah will surely remember him in the resurrection". My apostate reply to her was, "Well I certainly hope so, but it would have been much more loving of God to have stepped in and protected his loyal servant from dying in such a horrific manner".

just saying!

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Don Garloff I remember him well over 25 years ago. I remember him being one of the more leveler heads of young elders.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Simon, it's a mistake to think the mentally ill, some at least, are incapable of premeditation.

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon, it's a mistake to think the mentally ill, some at least, are incapable of premeditation

It's then a mistake to think that pre-meditated and planned crime is due to mental illness.

The trend is for people to blame everything on the mentally ill when they play politics. So it's never guns, or islamists or anything else that would be "inconvenient"... it's the mentally ill, and they are demonized unfairly. Also a trend is for lawyers to try and get clients off by claiming they are not responsible for what they have done.

If someone commits a horrendous act because of a genuine mental episode, they typically don't flee the scene. They literally have no idea what they have done or that they need to flee.

Such genuine cases are few and far between.

• VIII
    VIII

I agree with Simon.

Reading this my first reaction was "This is a horrible, evil person who did this". I just can't fathom why you would douse someone in gasoline and light them on fire. What a horrendous way to die.

Very sad.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

If anyone has any tips, on Dave or scuttlebutt in the Burney Ca., Congregation Shasta County investigators would appreciate a call. http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/index/sheriff_index/divisions/major_crimes.aspx

Burney is a remote congregation in the mountains that is more insular than most. I heard rumor of a child molestation situation there. If Dave had a position in the Congregation, he would have been a convenient target working at the counter in that remote Johnson Park Gas Station outside of tiny Burney. The old P.O. Don Garloff, was harsh and famous for jockeying for "circuit/district priveledges " and at the forefront of WTBTS dark side shell games with Assembly Hall finances, Theocratic Strategy, etc.

I didn't know him personally, but Dave seems to have been well-liked in the community. In his pre-JW days, he was a musician in some Metal bands albums. Bassist of RazorMaid, Boss Hogg, and Izzy Ozborne in the 80s.

A Go Fund Me page exists for his burial and widow. https://www.gofundme.com/david-wicks-family-support-fund

• no password
    no password

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/shasta/hundreds-attend-vigil-for-burney-man-killed-in-gas-station-fire/236317402

"He was just the kind of person who could light up a room with just his smile and a kind word," said Marvin Jackson Sr., who knew Wicks for 13 years.

Friends have set up a GoFundMe account for the Wicks family, and have raised $22,700 of their $60,000 goal. Secret Witness of Shasta County is also offering $15,000 for information leading to the arrest or conviction of Wicks' killer.
    The Jehovah's Witness congregation in Burney will hold a public memorial for Wicks in January, according to his friend Don Benton.
    Anyone with information on Wicks' killing is asked to call the Shasta County Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit at 245-6135 or email [email protected]. Anonymous tips can also be left with Secret Witness at 243-2319 or scsecretwitness.com.
  • Sliced
    Sliced

Terrible terrible thing to happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit