"I'm not interested" / "Have a good day" ??

by Gopher 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

What did you or other JW's say when told by a householder "I'm not interested"?

A lot of JW's in our area have the habit of saying "well, have a good day", as if to fill the awkward silence.

But if you studied your "Conversation Stoppers" section from the Reasoning book, you find other possibilities:

"Would you be interested if you could find out how you could see your dead loved ones again someday?"

or

"Is it religion in general you're not interested in?"

or

"Is that your usual reply when Jehovah's Witnesses call? Why not listen just this once?"

I especially liked that last one! I think only the older ladies among JW's could get away with saying that.

Q. How did Michael Jackson learn to moonwalk?

A. By backing away from so many doors when he was a Witness.

• Gopher
    Gopher

How can any JW really say "have a good day" to someone who just turned their back on them at the door with a curt answer? Maybe "have a good day" is just a little bit sarcastic? As in, "Have a good day, you don't have many left before Armageddon, sucker!"

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

My mom loves to say, "Is there any particular reason why you are not interested"?

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Any good pioneer knew just how to get around that question,as many of us had the reasoning book near memorized. I would probe the householder for answers to just about anything to get them to engage in a dialogue. Never did I just say have a good day. That was letting them off the hook way to easy.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

"I'm not interested"

Have you ever talked to JW's before?

"Um.., yes"

And did you tlak about?

..yada, yada, yada...

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

for he who greets him shares his wicked work.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I tried using those things in the Reasoning book a few times. I don't remember whether I had much success, but in the last few years I would just end the conversation with "Have a good day" or something similar. Honestly, it was more as a way to fill the awkward silence and end the conversation than as a sarcastic parting stab. I stopped using the replies to conversation stoppers because I started to think it was kind of pushy to try to keep a conversation going when it was obvious they were not interested. If the person was not decisive enough to close their door immediately after saying "I'm not interested", then I could end the conversation for them. Personally, if I was not interested in talking to someone, I'd say "I'm not interested, bye bye." There would be no time for a reply after I said bye bye because the door would be closed by then.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The second someone said that they were not interested, I was gone.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Gopher: I think you missed a couple. Here's a few I wanted to use, but never had the courage.

"Well perhaps, we could just step inside, and then your nipples wouldn't be so erect."

"That's OK, besides you are so butt ugly, and your breath stinks, I don't want to talk to you either."

unbeliever: "Is there any particular reason why you are not interested"?

My mom used that line as well, until 1 day she ran into a nurse. Blood, children. Well you get the drift.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Sometimes when doing a long marathon session of knocking on doors to make up lost time as a pioneer, I would be tired and cranky I would tell them "its your life!"

One time after doing my presentation through the door the hispanioc woman on the other side said "not interesting" and I said "I know your not interesting, how about buying these magazines from me though."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit