School and quitting

by shera 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• reboot
    reboot

((hi Shera))

i'm not quite sure how the school system works where you are-but do you mean leaving at 16?

my daughter's stayed on into the 6th form ( 16-18) to do her A levels-and has just announced yesterday she dos'nt want to go to University after that

So we've been talking about it.On one hand i'm impressed as she's very focussed, determined and has planned her career carefully and dos'nt want to start life with a £10,000-£12,.000 student debt; which is understandable, although I offered to pay it...

Does your daughter have a career plan? Or might she be scared of the student debt?

i'm working towards my degree and I keep explaining that it's so difficult to do it later on...

.....it's a toughie...I really sympathise.

i'm going to continue to encourage mine to go to uni- even if's just so they can reach their full potential and have a few more years of fun before the world of work.

We looked at the web site for the uni and were trawling the campus online...I was trying t get her to see she could enjoy 3 years without as much responsibilty as she'd have if she started work...I was saying things like 'Ooh, look at the accomodation,all those new friends and you'd have a great social life without me breathing down your neck...and it's so close to the city centre...' lol .....she's thinking about it.

• Jade
    Jade

At minimum I would want them to finish high school. It's too hard to support yourself with even the basic necessities without it. I didn't start college until I was 30 when I left the dubs and got tired of doing the same work of the degreed people for half the pay. It's much harder to go to school when you have a family and a mortgage so encourage them to not only finish high school, but to go on and start college as well.

I think sometimes our kids get comfortable in the lifestyle that we provide for them and they forget that when they are on their own, they will have to provide everything. We have done the same thing with our kids as some of the others have mentioned by showing them where the poor live and where the affluent live. We remind them that they can work eight hours a day and live well or they can work the same eight hours and struggle just to put food on the table. It's there choice, but they won't be able to depend on us to support them.

• shera
    shera

Thanks everyone.I'm not going to give up.What bothers me,this teen has brains.She wants to be a writer and she does have the talent for it.I told her I will do what it takes to help her to succeed.Education is so important and I can't seem to make her understand.

I don't want to mention her name,but I'm sure you all know whom I am speaking about.You know who you are and I love you very much.I want you to become the best you can.You have so much going for you.

Love you!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree with all of the above comments about the value of education (I went back to school at 31 to learn how to do something useful).

Have you looked into alternative schools? A few years ago we got sick of the public school education our youngest was getting. We sent him to a very good private school for a year. He went to classes two days a week, they loaded him up with homework and he studied like mad at home. It was a good program, but only for a the right kind of student. After a year of that we got tired of fighting with the vice-principal over his appearance (that elder you don't like isn't the only one with a stick up his ass).

So Alex went out on his own and found a GED coaching program. Two months after his sixteenth birthday he got his GED, then started community college two months later. Now, at the ripe old age of 18 he's in his third year of college.

Maybe a different sort of approach would work with your daughter.

BTW I disagree with those that that don't think a GED counts. Looking at it from the point of view of an employer, some of my best workers have had GED's. It's actually harder to get than a regular diploma, and the people have earned them no the value of what they have.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I guess if everyone who hated school got to quit there would be a lot more uneducated people on this planet. Fortunately many parents did their jobs well and made their kids finish school regardless.

Kids, ugg.......their minds change almost as often as they change their undies. But that's what parents are for to guide them through the tough parts. Stand up and be a strong parent and this too will pass. Years later she will thank you as I did my Dad for making sure I finished High School before I got married, I only wish now that he had made it College that would have been the best thing for me.

My own experience is out of 5 kids only one of mine graduated from the local High School. The other four either got their GED's or graduated from Continuation School, but they did get that diploma. The one who graduated from HS is in College now and the only one to go to College of the five. He wanted to quit school everyday until he reached 9th grade and became very interested in music. Now his major is music, he wants to be a music teacher!

Be strong and remember you are the parent, you know what's best for her and need to guide her no matter how much she resist and protest.

Kate (proud Mama)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit