School and quitting

by shera 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There is a book you might want your teen to read. The book, "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in

• NewYork44M
  • NewYork44M
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Sorry about the multiple blank or incomplete posts. For some reason my message is not coming through. I will try later

• jgnat
    jgnat

In life, you should quit only if you have something better to go to. What is the tough part of school - the social atmosphere or the studies? I'd say, if the school is not helping you learn, switch schools. If you are not making friends, get some help finding out how you can. Joining a club works well. I told my children a school is made up of all kinds of people. Find a group YOU fit with. No need to fit in with the "in" crowd, they are a minority anyways. Are you tired of learning? Then you got a problem, because a vital and interesting life is full of lessons to be learned.

New York 44 M is trying to tell you about this book.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in Americaby Barbara Ehrenreich

Here is an excerpt:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0805063897/ref=sib_rdr_ex/102-3297682-8722567?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S004#reader-link

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

NewYork44m - Love your avitar. I'm going to China a week from tomorrow and decided late last night that Atlas Shrugged was one of the books I was going take to read on the plane!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Shera, one of the reasons I left the dubs was because I was fed up with morons telling me that pursuing further education was a waste of time. I didn't want to be working in Walmart or cleaning windows so I resisted the call to pioneer and stayed at school til I was 18. Unfortunately I didn't have the parental support to go to University at 18 so had to wait 5 years and do my degree as a mature student, believe me it is a damn site harder trying to get back into the habit of studying when you haven't been used to it for 5 years. Now I'm a software engineer and am earning reasonable money but I'm still 5 years behind where I could have been if I had found some way to go to University at 18.

If I were you I would suggest to your teenager that they look at the people working in the local Walmart and tell you if that's all he or she wants out of life. I'm not knocking shop workers at all, just pointing out that limiting your education limits your life choices. Discuss what they want out of life and if they want to travel - there's no way they will ever be able to afford to see the world on a minimum wage salary, let alone own a house and have nice vacations. Money isn't everything, far from it but you sure as hell notice it when you don't have much. I've been on the dole (unemployment) and it's not the most pleasant existence. It's all a question of whether you want to have to continually struggle to make ends meet or whether you would prefer not to have to constantly worrying about where the money will come from if the car breaks down.

And can someone tell me why the hell Mozilla won't let me use paragraphs or any sort of html tags?

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

my god I have paragraphs I am most chuffed

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

but not always, damn!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

oh and as an aside, the reason I use supermarket workers as an example is that I worked for Tesco (a bit supermarket chain) as my first job after leaving school.

I cannot understate just how soul crushing it was to think that I could have still been doing the self same job for 20 years or more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit