Comments You Won't Hear at the 01-18-04 WT Study

by blondie 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks for your review, Blondie. Due to your contribution, I was able to "prophesy" to my honey that we would be studying Tithing this week. Not too different from Christendom, hmmmm?

Here are my comments this week:

Now, if we were doing a study on thankfulness, the WT article could have dwelled on one of their earliest quotes and received the full answer. For often I find the full story not be dwelling on the sin, but on the redemption that follows. So it is with Ephesians 2.

WT 12/1/2003 page 14, para 2. Surrounded as we are by Satan?s world, we need to exercise care not to be corrupted by its attitudes. In the first century, the apostle Paul reminded the Ephesian Christians, "You at one time walked according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit that now operates in the sons of disobedience. Yes, among them we all at one time conducted ourselves in harmony with the desires of our flesh, doing the things willed by the flesh and the thoughts, and we were naturally children of wrath even as the rest." (Ephesians 2:2,3)?That is true of many today. How, then can we maintain a thankful spirit? What help does Jehovah provide?

In context:

Made Alive in Christ

Ephesians 2:1-10 (NIV)

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Christians are not marinating in sin and fleshly desires. They have a new life, a free gift from God. Such a gift can lead to a lot of gratefulness. Not unless the poor person has failed to completely accept Jesus? sacrifice. Which might explain why so many Jehovah?s Witnesses are so miserable.

The rest of the study, of course, is about giving. The OT trinity of tithes, firstfruits, and tithes is detailed. On the thinnest of doctrinal threads and virtually no scriptural support the article goes on to link OT giving to the WTBTS lifestyle of service:

tithing = participating in the ministry and attending Christian meetings (para 12)

firstfruits = the fruit of lips, which make public declaration to his name (para 11) and/or making voluntary contributions to the worldwide Kingdom Preaching work (para 17) Which should be regular, though it is not Tithing. (para 17)

gleaning (giving to the poor) =

participating in the ministry and attending Christian meetings wholeheartedly and with a willing spirit . (para 13)

On the other side of the coin, so to speak, the article says that Jehovah ..is aware of our limitations. He values the sacrifices, great or small, that his servants offer willingly (para 14). If that is so, why then do witnesses have to fill out a time card? And in paragraph 17 it states, ?

Servants of Jehovah no longer need to tithe .? Boy, I am glad they cleared that up. Thinking about all that Old Testament giving and tithing was making my head hurt.

I think I will stick to regular Christendom. At least they admit that my giving is going towards roof repair. At least in Christendom?s churches, giving to the poor means giving to the poor. Food, I mean, not ?spiritual food in due season?.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for all your comments. This is definitely a badly concealed demand for money...no money then no blessings from God. I'm on a laptop at the hotel and having a hard time or I would thank you all individually for your fine comments. So happy we are to be meeting with some wonderful ex-JWs tdoay for brunch in Ontario. It is snowing some yet but hopefully the bad weather won't deter too many.

Blondie (and Irreverent)

• Gozz
    Gozz

I heard there was a paragraph, or two paragraphs that have no sciptures quoted at all in that article. Considering that the WTS is obsessed with quoting/citing scriptures in all their writing, it's most probable that those paragraphs 're evidently (buzz word, apologies Blondie...) human thinking. Usually, I'd watch of of sriptureless paragraphs; they habour convoluted reasonings, and perhaps droppings of something 'new' yet to make it through the blinking dim light.

• jgnat
    jgnat

True, Gozz. There are three 15, 16, and concluding paragraph 19 on the last page. They are headed Develop and Maintain the Pioneer Spirit and Demonstrating Thankfulness with our "Valuable Things" But even the ones that DO quote scriptures are barely related to the topic. Nothing is offered to explain how Tithing has become Meeting Attendance in modern times. "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together (Hebrews 10:25)" has become "These activities are not optional" (para 12)?

Paragraphs in past articles may not quote scripture if they are quoting a testimony, or are bridging one thought to another.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Blondie! Can you help me out with a question?I use to know the answer but now that we are inactive and not getting the magazines any longer,I forgot what I want to ask you.

How long a period of time is there before when the wt.mag is written and then placed in the Bethel rooms before they are sent to the cong.for the rank and file to place in the field.Then how long is it between when the articles are written and the actual time they will be studied at Bethel first .

I think the mags have a three - month jump start from when they are actually printed and then place in the rooms.In other words are they ahead of themselves by a time period of say three - months and then another five weeks before the mag is studied in the hall.

I know that they have the ability to cut and paste anything they want into the articles at the time of printing but it is too late once the presses are rolling.

The reason I'm asking is that some of the material seems to be taken from our jwd.post here on this board.Looks like they are monitoring this site and then printing study articles to keep the rank and file in the dark and in line and busy doing more.

Blueblades

• Gozz
    Gozz

Thanks jgnat for that clarification.

Concerning field service and meeting attendance being not optional: is it not true that some Bethel Staff, particularly governing body members, do not go out in the field ministry? And I thing the Writing Dept ought to modify (or expand) the non-optional field service requirement to be/include "reporting time is not optional". The WTS is more concerned about time reported than the preaching itself.

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

Ahhhh! Now I understand why my JW mother-in-law felt it was "extremely important" to write out a $500 check to WTS for the newly renovated KH (even though the materials that were used "look cheap and shoddy") when she can't seem to come up with the money to pay the taxes on her house. She was complaining about having to pay for her "magazines" now. I'm not sure if her mag subscriptions were gratis but she sure was kicking up a fuss when she received some sort of bill for them!

• minimus
    minimus

Blue, I don't think it's 3 months before the Watchtower is given in Bethel to when "we' get it. I think it's a difference of 1 month......Blondie--hard hitting, biting, venomous review. Well done! Yes----It's all about the money. Here's why I think they are stressing it so much. There are less people contributing------PERIOD! Those that did (like us) are gone now. And that hurts the local congregation and the Society. No people= No donations. So the watchtower tries to instill GUILT into "true Christians, Jehovah's people". After a while, the money just won't be flowing because the bodies won't be there. Even when they have the infirm listening to the meetings by phone, they might be counting them as attenders but they sure aren't counting them as contributors. Expect congregation mergers this decade.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have often wondered the same thing, Blueblades.

I have a magazine in front of me which is dated January 15, 2004. The first study will start February 16. But we still have to factor in the time required for planning, design, production, printing, and distribution.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Wonderful, I enjoyed your presentation.now no one can say i didnt read the watchtower.Do you do this weekly? loved it, thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit