Cong accounts analysis?

by Farmer Jim1 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Farmer Jim1
    Farmer Jim1

Anyone on here an ex accounts servant? I’d be interested in a projection of what percentage of contributions come from elderly JW’s. I.e, money that will be diminishing over next 5 or 10 years as these ones pass on.

i estimate that in one of my previous congs 50% of the contribution totals of approximately £400 each month were being made by the over 70’s demographic.

Within the other 50% were pioneers and low paid workers who put in regular but small amounts.

I guess when the accountants ring the alarm bells you start cutting the biggest costs; full time servants, buildings, printed literature. With the UK member figures now appearing to have peaked and possibly heading into decline I would be surprised if there is anything less than a 50% drop in contributed funds within the next ten years.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my late father donated £100 a month --until 5 years ago when he went into a care home---and i took over all his financial affairs.; you can guess what happened next.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I'm presently doing an analysis of all the congregations in the UK listed on the Charity website. Quite a few have left legacies of several thousand pounds.

I hope to have my findings posted here soon.

Truthseeker

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Yes, but when they passed on they may leave WT large sums that can generate interest for a long time

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Cong accounts analysis?

My analysis: still too many effing JWs.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

When I did the accounts I was suprised to see that a retired JW donated 180 euro each month!

He died this year. Don't know if his wife stopped the donation.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, I was an accounts servant for YEARS!

It was indeed true in my congs, that the majority of funds came from the elderly. (I know that it is all anonymous, but as accounts servant, you get a feel for the patterns of donations, and have an eye on the boxes most of the time)

Also, it was NOT those who had a good income stream that donated much! It honestly came from those with very little means! (As a witness, I found that in line with Jesus Widows Mite illustration, and thought it nice. NOW I see just how warped that is!)

Also, we were in a reasonably affluent area. Yet the monthly donations were pitiful! I even raised it with a CO once as I was concerned that this may be an indication that Jehovah wasn't blessing us as much! He said it was a common thing in our district!

Then the money grab thing from Bethel happened, where the Society "requested" all the funds in each cong bank account be sent to them, and we could keep just $5000 (how NICE of them!) Our elders told me to IGNORE that request, and they kept over $15000! I raised it and said that they were going against "theocratic direction", and they came up with excuse after excuse to keep the funds! Contrary to what Bethel told each cong!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STUCKINARUT2:

Yes, once those elderly are gone the golden goose is gone too. I don't think the religion is ever going to see this again.

No way will the younger struggling JWs who follow them ever see the JW religion in the sainted light that these elderly do. Young people have the Internet at their fingertips! The secrets are out.

• James Jack
    James Jack

I am currently the Accounts Servant, for the last 4 years now. You made me stop and think about this. It is true in our Hall that I say about 75% of the funds come from the over 55 group. With that said, half of all the funds collected from that group comes from 3 individuals (we have about 50 pubs from that group). I would also say that most in our Hall make little, too no contributions at all. Our total Congregation Publisher count stands at 63. I wonder, when the next widow dies, who is going to pick up the slack.

We have been having problems with our funds since I have been collecting them. One Elder (Who is one of the 3 Big Contributors) asked me to break down the collections. I said it's simple.You're the only Elder out of 6 who contributes every month. 3 of the Elders, I see at the most maybe one check a year. From the 7 MS's, I know of only 1 that gives a check each month. His reply was "I shouldn't have asked".

This is crazy, but the only way we have survived is that an Elderly person dies about every 6 months and leaves the Congregation some money.

• Magnum
    Magnum

In my congegation, there were two or three older ones retired from good blue-collar jobs (mills) with good pensions. I saw checks from them for about $200 each per month. One of them has since died.

In the U.S., I believe it's the older, more financially secure JWs who have been contributing the majority of the funds in recent years. Many of them have died, and the others won't be around much longer.

Maybe the JW big shots know that, and that's why they've been selling property, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit