God cannot lie

by psyco 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    tenyearsafter: the argument could be made that Adam did die within a creative day. Another view is he died the moment he sinned, because prior to that he had everlasting life. Once he sinned, he was dying. All very metaphorical!

I've heard all these justifications and excuses offered for sure but ultimately they are simply attempts to get around the plain fact that Adam and Eve did not die on the day they ate from the tree as God had said they would.

Think of it this way. You are a teenager whose mother is suffering from a particularly virulent form of cancer, all treatments have failed and you have been told she has less than a month to live. However, there is hope! A pioneering oncologist promises you, that if your mother agrees to an experimental new treatment she positively “will not die.”

You convince your still young but dying mother that this is her best hope. With nothing to lose she agrees to the treatment and lives on for another forty years! She’s with you at your graduation and on your wedding day. She’s a grandmother to your children and is even with you to enjoy a few years of your retirement. Finally, at a fair age in her mid eighties, your mother passes away. Would it be reasonable of you to label as a liar the oncologist who promised you four decades earlier that your mother would “not die”? After all, your aged mother is indeed now dead.

Preposterous isn’t it

At this point the you may be jumping up and down in protest and claiming that my analogy doesn’t fit. ‘But Adam and Eve were perfect’ you say. ‘They would have lived forever if they’d only been obedient.’ Oh really? Look again at the timeline of Genesis, when is everlasting life ever promised to that innocent couple in the Garden of Eden? It isn’t. There is nothing to indicate that Adam and Eve had any hope or knowledge that they might live forever. In fact, it appears to have been something deliberately denied to and kept hidden from them.

God lied.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

God cannot lie.

But an organization can.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I always saw it as god not needing to lie. It makes no sense to imply that god is somehow incapable of deceiving someone or saying something that isn't true. That would actually mean he was limited in some way.

But when you are the incalculably powerful magic overlord of a universe that you created with your own hands, why would you need to lie? Who would he need to fear, that he would try to misdirect them? Who could block him from any thought, word or action? It's not that he is somehow unable to lie, it's just that it wouldn't make sense.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It actually gets worse for believers. Not only is God responsible for the first lie recorded in the Bible - which I guess makes him the 'father of the lie' - but the devil, Satan himself, consistently told the truth.

Don't believe me? Reread Genesis.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Don’t believe everything you read literally, try using your deductive reasoning powers..jeez 😉

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ah, that old chestnut. You'll be claiming I'm taking things out of context next.

• Simon
    Simon

Supposedly, the person who told us that God can't lie ... is God.

So "trust me, would I lie to you?"

Sorry, but that instantly screams "scammer" right there.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Nicolaou, I was merely offering what most JW's would say in retort to your "allegation".

They absolutely did not die on that literal day...I just see that JW interpretation would provide for several "options" to explain the meaning of "day". It is the same for Adam and Eve being perfect...I could anticipate their response being, "why would God create an imperfect image of himself?". In the JW mind, that perfection was theirs to lose, thus bolstering the "works" requirement of being rewarded eternity.

• Simon
    Simon

If you redefine words to mean something other than what everyone understands them to be, then nothing is ever a lie. But just redefine "lie" to mean, "take a shit", and hey - god can't lie!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I lie all the time.

In fact, I’m lying right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit