Apostate is an easy excuse

by Formerbrother 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

It seems to me that if there is something that any JW doesnt want anybody to look into, then they can just say the one word APOSTATE, and nobody wil look at it.

This is rather convenient.

What if it is the truth, still dont even look at it to find out?

• careful
    careful

Yep, that's the organization's plan. Label it "apostate" and everyone will ignore it. It's up to each individual to decide whether he or she will obey that command or look for truth independently. What will you do?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I've been laying groundwork with some that i think one or more of the GB have gone "rogue" as did Ray Franz. Joe Hoover allowed an "apostate" GB member to influence things in the past (and there was that Judas guy years ago, too). So.......maybe it's happening again? I think it plants the seed that makes/allows them to question anything that just doesn't seem "right" to them.

Let's face it, the Borg is really undergoing some radical changes and many R&F are murmuring about it. That should be evident from all the obey, Obey, OBEY orders coming down the pipeline. This seed might allow them to question things a bit more.

PS -- NO HATE MAIL, PLEASE! I personally am NOT comparing Ray to Judas. JWs do that all on their own.

• steve2
    steve2

Knee-jerk, unthinking rejection of anything that could challenge one's beliefs is the order of the day in high-control religious groups - and JWs are no exception. For untold numbers of JWs it is enough to merely suspect that something is apostate for them to reject it out of hand. So, yes, what if they are rejecting something that is true?

Interestingly, JWs encourage non-JWs to scrutinize anything non-JW and praise them for doing so. I recall commending householders who were disgruntled by their particular church and prodding them to scrutinize it.

Big, big double standard.

• AbusedandPissed
    AbusedandPissed

Kind of like using the term apologist to just ignore what someone says.

• bennyk
    bennyk

And yet, what of this counsel from the divinely-appointed Faithful and Discreet Slave /*sarcasm*/?

"We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination."

(THE TRUTH that leads to ETERNAL LIFE, p.13)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    DesirousOfChange - "...the Borg is really undergoing some radical changes..."

Huh.

Seems just like more of the same "obey, obey, obey" to me (a lot more, actually).

You sure you're not taking your username a little too seriously?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Seems just like more of the same "obey, obey, obey" to me (a lot more, actually). You sure you're not taking your username a little too seriously? ~ Vidiot

Vidiot, I go back well over 50 years in The Troof(™). There have been some radical changes that I've witnessed in that time. I think many will agree with that, which is why it is often stated here, "This is not the religion I joined." (or something to that context).

For example, while there was always some mention of "obeying" (and it was probably phrased more as "following the direction" yada yada yada), but IMO it was not until GB 2.0 that we starting to have "obey Obey OBEY" ramped up as we see it now (ie, Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed), culminating with the Nov 2013 WT demanding obedience too all things even if it did not seem reasonable.

I'll stand by my statement that in my time in the Borg, it has really undergone some radical changes. But then, I'm looking back on decades (in fact, at this point in life, I don't even buy green bananas), as opposed to any changes in just the past several years.

Of course, YMMV. You know what they say about opinions.

• Ding
    Ding

The WT has all sorts of trigger words and phrases designed to stop thought and prevent JWs from investigating:

Apostate... worldly... goatlike... Christendom...fault-finding...rebellious... like the original Satan...

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Yea, though stopping trigger word most definitely. Mind control -brainwashing 101. Steven Hassan's Cult Mind Control covers it IIFC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit