(As promised) BETHEL TRIP part 7. Loosing my balance

by seven006 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

After the last installment, I was wondering if this was where you were headed. This is a very painful part of your story. You were lucky to have pulled out of it. Some don't.

Just musing, but I can't help but wonder, so much pain, and so much waste and really what for? What greater good is served by so many people hurting? If we had been taught how to live the philosphy of Christianity, rather than how to sell books, maybe there wouldn't be so much pain for so many people.

Although I did chuckle at your reaction to the doctor and refusal to stay in the hospital, kind of reminds me of myself. Doctors and I have never gotten along.

Chris

• seven006
    seven006

Aztec,

What do you mean you can relate? Where you a little nose monkey at one time? That would explain a lot. You're a goof.

Big hug

Been there,
    Thank you. That was 19 years ago, I'm feeling much better now.

Back sheep,

Sorry you have to deal with what you are going through. I don't know what to say except hang in there. It takes time to get a loved one to see the stupidity of the religion, It took me a few years to get my sons completely out both mentally and physically. Keep breathing and take the time to let her see what you already know. Make a long term goal and plan and slowly put it into action. Stay away from the drugs, The'll pickle your inners.

yxl1,

Tooting up for a meeting, that must have been interesting. How are your sinuses? Mine were a mess for years. I use to get sinus infections all the time. One trip across the country in a pressurized jet cabin will wake a person up and kick them in the head. I'm just glad they didn't make coke suppositories.

Blueblades,

Dean was a decent guy when I met him. He was small enough for me to pick up and toss out a window if he pissed me off too much. He seemed to be a real company man when I gave him my report. I could tell he agreed with what I told him deep down inside. I don't know about his health. I think he was smart enough to realize I was on my way out of the religion when I walked out of his office. I think the religion was all he has. He looked to me to be a very private and lonely man.

CJ,

Thanks, me too.

Narkissos,

I didn't know my story was linked to a French board. If I knew it was going to get French people to come to this board I would have never written it. Just kidding. I did a lot of work with Rafael paint brush company out of France. I was supposed to go there a couple of times. I don't like flying over the pond so I never went. I was a jerk. I'm glad to see you on this board.

Thanks and take care all,

Dave

• seven006
    seven006

Nilfun,

Thank you.

Chris,

As much as I would like it to be, this is not the most painful part of my life story, that comes later. This was just one of the many wake up calls I had to go through. I spent many years being an idiot. Sometimes it came back to bite me on the ass, sometimes it helped me simply be a better person.

I still don't like going to doctors and have to be close to death to make me go. I use the word "bummer" is the answer to some of the most serious situations in my life. It is just one of the many balancing tools I use to prevent myself from taking myself too seriously.

Take care,

Dave

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

incredible story -- thanks for sharing it - the bit about being apart from your ((ex) wife but then having sex I can relate to -- I call it a comfort f--k. In my case certainly not "making love" more like having sex -- so the comfort f--k describes it well

• Badger
    Badger

Dave:

Your story is quite inspiring to me...I'm in the middle of my fade, and I know I'm gonna get levelled by a few things...

Keep it up...and there's more coming out behind you, for true.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    What do you mean you can relate? Where you a little nose monkey at one time? That would explain a lot. You're a goof.

Nose monkey? No. Here is what I can relate to:

In the mid eighties there wasn't easy access to any exJW's to ask questions and help me through a very difficult transition in my life.

Granted, it wasn't the mid-eighties for me but, I had no support system whatsoever for what I was going through. I went through it utterly alone. The internet was still new in the early nineties and I had a dislike of computers because I saw people spending too much time online and not (in my opinion) reading books. I don't really look down of people who don't read books, I just have a very deep love of reading. It was a tad upsetting to see technology usurping real book knowledge. I've overcome that obviously. I've come to realize what a great tool of information the internet is.

It's an incredible shock to your psychological well being to come to the realization that everything you once believed about the history of the earth and mankind was as valid and historically factual as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Yes it is! It's still rather fresh for me.

Not only do you loose your basic belief structure you eventually realize you need to someday face up to the fact that you're going to take your last breath on this earth

Yes! After spending your entire life believing that you are going to live forever and, not only that, never taste death, to come to terms with your own mortality is frightening! It's a hard thing to accept as an adult.

I also had to deal with possibility of never seeing my Mom or family again and coming to the realization that I have become a grave disappointment to them.

I was told many times by my family that they were disappointed in me. Perhaps it was because I was the only grandchild who got baptized and and pioneered. I don't know. I looked up to and adored my grandfather. I was always his favorite grandchild. To disappoint him and to have him say it to others humilated me. I was so hurt! I'm fortunate that my mother and father don't ignore or shun me. I very rarely even log into my msn messenger because my mom is always there bugging me...LOL! I'm somewhat lucky I suppose.

I had grown up very closed minded and my perspective on life was narrow and tainted.

Me too. I think most of us "raised in it" were.

I started to become very angry and for a while I wanted to do what I had always been told was wrong.

Yep!

I began a journey of social rebellion and self destruction. I began to simply not care about myself or anyone else, I just wanted all the questions and the confusion in my head to go away.

I understand completely.

I began to drink heavily to make my thoughts and feelings drown in a puddle of muddy indifference

Yep!

My drinking began to include sporadic infusions of coke and pot.

Change "coke and pot" to "sex, pot, and acid" and that's where I was.

For a while I seriously thought of permanently tattooing the word "stupid" across my forehead.

The word "loser" was what I had in mind for myself.

I didn't go through any kind of drastic, physical illness and I never did any "hard" drugs. I was a single mom by that point and I didn't have anyone to turn to so neither were and option. What I can relate to Dave is the way you were feeling. I think it's similar for a lot of us.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that down.

~Aztec

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bummer

Dave thanks for this installment.

The pendulum swings and I bet it goes back and forth a few times before it settles down to something that resembles normal

Glad you're still here to share it with us

• core
    core

Dave

thanks for sharing that - at times it was too painful to read and most of us can empathise truly based on experience - thanks again

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm sorry that you went through so much mental and social problems. I guess I was lucky, I just left and didn't suffer at all. The freedom was so much better I just felt that one year of it was worth being destroyed at Armageddon, so I didn't really care. After 1975 and nothing happening, I just thought good, I'll just keep on enjoying it. I raised my children without the fear of religion and we are happy with that.

Never did the drinking, drugs, sex etc. Got married to a good woman, after my JW wife divorced me while we were both JWs, and never looked back. I was so lucky.(and I can say lucky now)

I hope you can make up for the lost time and enjoy the rest of you time on earth.

Ken P.

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

Dave,

Thank you for sharing your story. One of my closest JW childhood friends seems to be on a very similar downward spiral...maybe her JW past has more to do with it than I had given thought. She is a beautiful girl and seemed to have so much going for her...now it seems as if she is beyond the deep grave she is digging herself into. I love her like a sister and wish I knew where to begin to help her. She is at a stage where nothing anyone says seems to matter and she talks as if her warped sense of reality is suppose to make sense to the people around her. I am at a lost as to what to do...I mainly just listen and try to let her know that I love her no matter what. Do you think there is anything anyone could have said or done at that time in your life that would have helped you?

Michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit