The Red Tent

by GinnyTosken 26 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Ginny the way old timer around EXJDubland.

Good thoughts expressed. I wonder how many cannanite women and children had broken hearts over the slaughter of their husbands and fathers? That was a slaughter that was backed by a loving and mercifull bible god named Jehovah.

Gumby.........(nice to see your widom around again.)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Yes Ginny, good to read your thought-provoking posts again.

I was talking to a JW women who read the book you noted last year and was very impressed, though I admit to not having read it myself. She was actually counselled by her elders for reading it though, so it must be innacurate and full of worldly philosophies. They probably thought it had something to do with the army of the now defunct King of the North camping outside the Holy Place of the Wild Beast and his Discreet Virgins.

Best regards - HS

• wasasister
    wasasister

Ginny? Ginny Tosken? That you, Girl?

She talks real good, don't she? Book learnin' and all. Lately, however, she admitted to me while drunk on malt liquor that she:

1. Never misses an episode of Celebrity Fear Factor

2. Let's her kid stay home from school to play rated "M" video games

3. Favorite intellectual challenge is the TV Guide crossword puzzle

4. Thinks the best "female dating mentor" is Anna Nichol Smith

5. Of her top ten films of all time, three star Will Ferrell and two Adam Sandler

6. Reads Dilbert faithfully, but doesn't always "get it"

7. Bought a new outfit in anticipation of Ben and J-Lo's wedding

8. Doesn't understand why the Macaraina never gained international popularity

9. Wants to have Doctor Phil's love child

10. Get's me to write all her posts so she looks smart

OK, I'm jealous. Welcome back, Ginny. This place needed a little class and that's just what you've got....get it? A LITTLE class?

Luvs,

Wasa

• gumby
    gumby
    This place needed a little class

Alright ya little bastardett.....you tryin ta start somthin?

Gumby

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Thanks for the warm welcome back, everybody!

Waiting said:

And on the other hand.............some feel that this story/account isn't factual - but a way of explaining the slaughtering that some of the Jews did in trying to establish themselves beyond being nomadic sheepherders.

I remember reading somewhere (I'm pretty sure it was in The Bible Unearthed--most of my books are still in storage) that it's likely that many of the characters in Genesis were meant to portray, not individuals, but tribes, nations, and political groups. Here's one example:

During the United Monarchy, the nations geographically closest to Israel were governed the most firmly, and this is reflected in Genesis. Thus, Moab, Ammon and Edom, the three Transjordanian states ruled by David and Solomon, all appear in Genesis as the sons of Lot (and thus the grandnephews of Abraham) or as the brother of Jacob. In other words, the Genesis author portrays the ancestors of these three countries as related to the patriarchs in order to justify Israelite rule over them.

We can be even more explicit. From an analysis of the germane passages in 2 Samuel, we know that in Moab and Ammon the native kings were permitted to rule as tributary vassals; but in Edom the king was deposed, and David and Solomon exercised direct rule over their southeastern neighbor. This explains why Edom, in the character of Esau, is seen as a twin brother of Israel, in the character of Jacob. Moab and Ammon, on the other hand, as portrayed in Genesis by Lot's two sons, are more distantly related. In addition, note that in Genesis 27:40 it is predicted that Esau would throw off the yoke of Jacob, a clear reflection of the Edomite rebellion against Israel during Solomon's reign (1 Kings 11:14-22).

from http://www.bib-arch.org/bswb_BR/brf01reading_david.html

While this explanation makes sense in many cases, I am still intrigued by the stories of people and their loves, jealousies, longings, and sorrows.

Gaiagirl,

Thanks for the recommendation of The Moon Under Her Feet. I haven't read it, and it sounds intriguing.

Dave said:

What's up? Did your cable go out during the ice storm and you can't watch any of your soaps?

Actually, when I'm in the mood for soap opera drama, I just tune in to JWD or JWO.

Now be a good boy, Dave, and fetch your copy of My Book of Bible Stories and Photoshop a nice little picture of groupie Dinah watching Shechem strum the ol' banjo.

Tracy said:

I just don't have much interest in anything biblically related.

You're in good company. A friend of mine gave me this book nearly two years ago, and it's collected dust on the shelf ever since. I picked it up in desperation during the recent ice storm that Dave mentioned.

Outnfree,

Have you looked at Barbara Walker's The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets? You might also enjoy Merlin Stone's When God Was a Woman. If memory serves, the latter was a bit too hard-core feminist for my taste, but the history of goddess religions was fascinating.

Gumby said:

I wonder how many cannanite women and children had broken hearts over the slaughter of their husbands and fathers?

This was one aspect of the book that struck me. Anita Diamant describes the slaughter and Dinah's reaction to it vividly. I felt rather ashamed at my lack of imagination. I'd been reading these stories for years and never truly envisioned how horrendous it must have been to witness such brutality.

Hillary_step said:

She was actually counselled by her elders for reading it though, so it must be innacurate and full of worldly philosophies.

They were probably more afraid of the steamy sex scenes . . . lol.

Wasa:

Must you tell all my secrets?

Well, I'll tell one of yours: WASA'S BIRTHDAY IS ON SATURDAY!

For this special occasion, we've planned an elegant brunch of Boone's Farm, Twinkies, and pork rinds.

Ginny

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, Hi there to ya, Gin!

If you're in the mood for it, a fair number of us Pacific NWers (and maybe a an ex-PNWer or 2, or 4 ) would be glad to have dinner (or, maybe just a little party at our apartment) with ya.

Craig (of the "shameless-thread-hijacker" class )

edit to add: concensus is that Dave is persona non grata...LOL

I also want to say that I would be nothing without Dave, He does all my intelligent thinking for me and leaves all the stupid stuff for me. I would just pee all over myself if he didn't live just down the street from me. He helped me realize how much of an idiot I use to be and I owe him my life.

I also wish I had his hair. Hell, wish I had anybody's hair. It's uncomfortable walking around with Farkel my cat on my head all the time. It takes me hours to get all the kitty litter out of my ears.

• seven006
    seven006

Craig,

Remember when I told you two years ago to get a life? You ran right out and got a wife instead.

Clean the damn kitty litter out of your ears and buy a wig.

Dav

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit