The Red Tent

by GinnyTosken 26 Replies latest jw friends

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Long before I started on the mental road toward XJWism, soft-voiced misgivings whispered to me as I read Bible stories. Why did Jehovah like Abel's offering better than Cain's? Wasn't it cruel of Abraham to banish Hagar and Ishmael? Wasn't it wrong for Rebekah to deceive Isaac into blessing Jacob? How did Leah feel to know that she was not Jacob's chosen bride?

In The Red Tent, Anita Diamant weaves a novel around the unsettling story of Dinah. What if Dinah loved Shechem? How did Dinah feel as she was taken out of Shechem's house and saw what her brothers had done? What was Dinah's life like after this horrific slaughter?

Here is the prologue:

We have been lost to each other for so long.

My name means nothing to you. My memory is dust.

This is not your fault, or mine. The chain connecting mother to daughter was broken and the word passed to the keeping of men, who had no way of knowing. That is why I became a footnote, my story a brief detour between the well-known history of my father, Jacob, and the celebrated chronicle of Joseph, my brother. On those rare occasions when I was remembered, it was as a victim. Near the beginning of your holy book, there is a passage that seems to say I was raped and continues with the bloody tale of how my honor was avenged.

It's a wonder that any mother ever called a daughter Dinah again. But some did. Maybe you guessed that there was more to me than the voiceless cipher in the text. Maybe you heard it in the music of my name: the first vowel high and clear, as when a mother calls to her child at dusk; the second sound soft, for whispering secrets on pillows. Dee-nah.

Anita Diamant imagines betweens the lines and fictionally explains other events in Genesis . . . why Jacob changed his name, why Rachel hid the teraphim, and why Rachel was buried hastily beside the road.

While I wouldn't classify this book as great literature, it is an interesting read and has left me imagining what other stories might be written between the lines of the Bible.

Ginny

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Wow Ginny, sounds like a great read! Thanks for posting this!

• Huxley
    Huxley

Sounds like an interesting book...that story always freaked me out as a kid.

I connected it with that song "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah....someone's in the kitchen I knoooow..."

and then I would picture Shechem 'strumming on the old banjo.'

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

ROFLMAO!!! Jesus, Huxley, you just made me spew chocolate milk out my nose!!!

• Huxley
    Huxley

..thanks for the laughs!

...Anthropologists are just now discovering the rich heritage of Hivite bluegrass.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Oh, dear. When Genesis meets Deliverance, who needs scary demon stories at a JW pajama party?

"And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ."--Genesis 4:21

Ginny

• Huxley
    Huxley

Sorry for the thread hijack Ginny!

Your fellow Oregonian,

Huxley

• simplesally
    simplesally

I read this book. It was a great book. I had to get out of the "I know what the bible says and this isn't whats there" mindset first, but then got into it.

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

I read this book and really enjoyed it. It really made me think that there is so much more to these accounts in the the Bible that weren't written down. I always wondered about Dinah and what happened to her, and this book is kind of a "what if", and it's so nice to have the freedom to wonder and question. I found this book interesting, especially after being exposed to the Watchtower version of this account. The JW's taught that it was through Dinah's bad association that this was the reason for her being raped by Shalem, then this caused her brothers to murder the inhabitants of the city of Shechem. I never quite bought that even when I was a JW, that the whole incident was somehow Dinah's fault. I always felt that there was more involved that was never written.

It's nice to have the freedom to read what ever I want without feeling guilty.

Hapgood

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Ginny!

Great to see you back, we missed you lots.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit