It's probably all gonna hit the fan soon!

by onintwo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

OMG... people cash out their 401K's when they leave their jobs???

Why would they do that???

• minimus
    minimus

Great thread! Garybuss----right on as usual! JWs should WILLINGLY give it all up for the "truth". Ha.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Onintwo..

I never really thought about that.. but your probably right about all the J.W. babyboomers..

I have an older brother that must be thinking about this sort of thing now..

He left a good job with a good pension behind. Now all the people he had worked with in that job are approaching retirement from their jobs and looking forward to their pensions from work.. and he isn't going to get that. He's stuck working, working and working his butt off when he could have been retiring very soon.

If he would have stayed in his original job he would be retiring with a full pension in the next year or two..That's all gone now. I wonder if he ever thinks about that?

sincerely

Special K

• jws
    jws

After so many years of waiting, and waiting, for Armageddon to be "just around the corner", my hunch is that a lot of them have started to prepare for retirement. Especially in the last 10 years since the "generation" thing was extended indefinately. Granted, that's not a whole lot of time to get ready, but it's better than nothing.

I know several JWs who are surviving off pensions and social security. Since the government isn't taking steps to save social security, it could be bankrupt by the time the boomers are retiring and they will be in for a rude awakening.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I know my own father stopped being an elder and started working his tail off to put a little away, to get me and my sis through college. Favors he's probably going to call in when he gets older. Shrug. It's worth it. Love greases it.

CZAR

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I was very unhappy as a teenager in the organization. I had always had my sights on being an air line hostess or flight attendant. I was sixteen when I was baptized in Aug. 1967 and it was expected by all in our family, especially my parents that I would become a pioneer. I gave up school and the opportunity to become a person who would succeed in life. I really didn't want to pioneer, but I think I was felt pressured into to it. Our family was considered a mature christian family and dad was on the old judicail committee system.

His mom and dad were special pioneers in the maritmes and my dad thought it would be great for me to go their and pioneer with them. My heart and mind were split in a thousand pieces. The Society as much as said the end is soon and when I was baptized in 1967, there was a public talk at the convention that was tittled ."Where will you be in 1975"?

I knew my family wanted me to leave school and get out in the ministry immediatley. My dad and mom took me to Eaton's department store and bought me a brand new outfit of clothing and shoes to look smart in the ministry.

My heart was heavy as I really didn't want to pioneer but felt this great pressure. So I told my dad that rather than pioneer in this region of Ontario , I would go to serve as a pioneer in Quebec as the Society was asking for young and old to go and serve where the need was greater. So that is what I did. I had had the intention of leaving the pioneer work when I went to Quebec and start up my education again. I of course never told that to my parents. All of a sudden my 16 yrs old sister wanted to pioneer and go to quebec with me. Yuck Yuck and so that is what happened, here I am 19 looking after my 16 yr old sister goiing on 25. I hated every minute of it. Several years later she was invited to special pioneer and so she left me and went away. Now I was free again. But I still had no work other than a char person making 25 dollars a wk in 1970. I could not go to school the fees were t o much. etc and anyway about the same period a brother wanted to date me and so eventually I ended up married and still unhappy . He was a regular pioneer, he was more interested in that then in me his new wife. What a mess.

Well the rest is another story, but I can tell you this all those yrs of doing nothing having no money and now today I am remarried to a wonderful non JW and we have a little income but very happy, but now I am falling apart physically and that is the real sad part of it all. if it were in my power I would sue the JWs and the Borg for allinating me from my family and making money and attaining an education all because they said no mature christian makes investment in a decaying world taht will end in 1975. Pissed yes alway about that.

Well now I am free broke but happy sick but happy remairried and happy, no money and some what unhappy, because I lacked the courage t otell my parents I wanted to go to school and get a carreer ......

Oh well that is life.

Love Orangefatcat.Fat Cat 15 Double Kiss

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's kind of a perverse version of "The Grasshopper and The Ant" story. The Dubs expect to play religion all "summer" (their productive years) while the ants (worldlings) work hard and build up their supplies for the dark months (old age). But the Dubbie grashoppers expect a great disaster to come upon the ants (Armageddon) and leave them with all the piles of goodies that the hard-working and responsible ants have left behind.

• Purple
    Purple

I knew a so called annointed brother who died a few years ago and I remember a the account of how he and his wife decided to get married because it would only be for a few years and the wife said she knew then where her husband would be in the new system..up in heaven watching out for her! It was an amusing story, they were both umm I forget what the next level was above regular pioneering..anyway I think they did hundreds of hours a year witnessiing and so on. They never had any children and didnt have many relatives, maybe one brother I think.

Anway he was faithful until he died and was a truely wondrful, beautiful person who always smiled and never complained about anything. I recalled this when I heard he died and wondered how he felt just before he died, I mean did he trust his long held faith fully?? Did he die confidently with the truth solid in his heart, prepared for his annoiting and stuff or did he think, sh** what if it was all a lie and stuff like that?

So anyway I like the point about the majority being without worldy goods and having to rely on the government for an income now. Its an interesting point. Most dunbs here live in government housing on government pensions awaiting the day when all that is behind them. Well the truth is if they went out and got full time jobs or lots of part time jobs they could get out of government housing and pensions. Many related that they thought they were beating the government at their own game, getting the government to support the great witnessing work world wide. When you think about it, its not such a joke, they are!

As to what will happoen in the future to them, most will end up deluded and disappointed but still stay in the troof because its habit and its their life. I wonder if they ever did a survey and asked how many were deluded and disappointed and were afraid to leave the troof what the statistics would reveal and we might see many really leaving. After all dont they count inactive ones still amongst their numbers???

Interesting thread indeed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit