Can someone fill me in please?

by claudia 16 Replies latest jw friends

• claudia
    claudia

Can someone fill me in on this quote i took from a jw board? Since when is skydiving a no no? Sheesh! How the hell do they know what gods stand on skydiving is!

"The scariest thing I have done is fall off a horse(accidentally,of course)But I would like to try skydiving,though I won,t,because of Jehovah and his stand on it.

• COMF
    COMF

Yes. Skydiving is explicitly condemned, along with hang gliding, bungee jumping, and growing your little fingernail long so you can pick your nose. Have you never read Hezekiah 18:10-14?

COMF

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

20 years ago I did a little sky-diving but soon afterwards a local needs item was presented on "dangerous sports". Sky-diving was regarded as a dangerous activity and those who do such things apparantly do not respect the life they were given.

Instead I was told I should be respecting the life I was given by knocking on doors and selling mags.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• wasasister
    wasasister

I don't have access to the direct quote, so I'm going from memory here. It has to do with the principle of the divine gift of life. (Oh, yeah, I forgot you can die for not taking blood.) I digress. If you engage in "extreme sports" you endanger your life and thus show a disregard for the life Jehovah has given you. In the 70's, brothers were discouraged from playing contact sports, not because of the competition, but because they might become injured and not be able to support their families. (Not such bad advice if you understand most JW's were self-employed and had no insurance.)

Hope this helps,
    /Midol Judge Wasasister

• outcast
    outcast

Just quit reading WOL.
    Your blood pressure will go down, and your IQ will go up.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson
    Just quit reading WOL.
    Your blood pressure will go down, and your IQ will go up.

ROFLMAO!

I can't stomach WOL and haven't bothered to go there in months. But the thought was funny.

T

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• claudia
    claudia

Comf, thanks for your response, but why cant I find it in the bible?

• claudia
    claudia

LOL, Outcast thats really funny. yeah I go there once in a while, I end up getting really irritated and they are such cornballs.

• Jeremy30
    Jeremy30

Hi, claudia.

Just would like to add that I thought it was interesting that this
    person said that they wouldn't try skydiving because of
    "Jehovah and his stand on it". Huh????
    I don't remember reading anything in the bible resembling
    "Thou shalt not skydive" or even "thou shalt not jump
    off Mount Ararat" or some such thing. I guess to those still in
    WTS = jehovah.

Jeremy

• claudia
    claudia

Right on Jeremy. And by their own reasoning getting a speeding ticket should be a bad thing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit