Oh I get it.........it's WORSHIP

by Dawn 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

I feel like such a dufus sometimes

I started attending a church a couple of years ago - I really like it but was really puzzled at first because they sang a lot of songs at the beginning of service.......like 6 or 7. Then I noticed that a few people there sometimes lift up their hands to "heaven" when they're singing .....nothing weird like rolling around on the floor and dancing.....just lifting up their hands. But still......having only attended meetings at a Kingdom Hall all my life - this was new!

I've gotten used to it - but still didn't really get it. That is...until this Sunday. It hit me...........They are worshiping.......as a JW I never actually seen people worship Jehovah. People went out in service, studied, attended the meetings, yadda yadda yadda.......but did anyone ever actually bow down during prayer to God and perform an act of worship to him? Or sing from the heart with feeling and praise to him?

It has taken me 2+ years of going to this church to figure it out.........like I said.........sometimes I feel like such a dufus!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Meetings are for information cramming, service for many is a duty, even the songs are just to begin, end or break up the program sections. It's 'education' centered, highly structured and uniform so there's little room for spontaneity and expressions of heartfelt joy and celebration for our faith.

Different style, 's'all, but it's a shame - it can make worship mundane and lifeless.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Hi Dawn and Ann!

You both make great points and it's true. JWs, in all my time being raised as one have NEVER raised their hands while singing. But...if you notice the picture in the back of the songbook, the priests are singing and raising their hands...that should set the precedent, should it not? I wish they would eliminate one of the meetings or turn it into maybe 20 minutes of singing to praise God.

But..I guess we aren't the only ones who don't put any feeling into singing. I was listening to a comedian (British) yesterday on HBO. His name is Eddie Izzard and part of his routine was criticizing religion and particularly the Church of England. He demonstrated how bland their singing is. Anyway, if I may put in a plug, this guy is hilarious. He had me laughing so hard, I was peeing in my pants!!!

• mineralogist
    mineralogist
    Or sing from the heart with feeling and praise to him?

I normally did ... and it was ... in the kingdom hall - like the singers at the back of the song-book. Should have seen the faces of the others

• El blanko
    El blanko

Maybe there is more to divine service than simply gesturing with hands and an outpouring of emotions?

The above is not a knock, simply an observation of your thoughts dear friend.

I think above all else righteousness requires obedience to God's laws. That appears to be the most significant aspect that the Bible teachers promote. That and helping others understand the word of God through Christ.

Thoughts to the contrary and flaming please ...

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

El blanko,

Wouldn't more expressive types of worship help a person toward righteousness? Yes, No, Maybe???

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Dawn - Excellent points!! I always chafed when the word "worship" was used in connection w/ our meetings. We were obviously always just in classes for education. In fact, for indoctrination. There was no worshipful content at all. Thought it was just my lack of spirituality, like they want you to think.

My favorite time at the Hall was always before the meeting started, if I was one of the first to arrive, which wasn't that often, but in 32 years, it happened enough times; when the Hall was still semi-dark and peaceful; I always wished we could have a "silent prayer meeting" or something like it. Anything that would actually feel like worship.

And I was always drawn to those church services that you see in movies, television, etc., with the choir and the people joining in and saying "Praise God, Praise Jesus, Amen," etc., where there was real feeling and joy. But of course that was "Christendom" so I couldn't have it...till now anyway!

• r51785
    r51785

I had the same experience when I attended a different church. The singing and arms in the air kind of put me off at first. In thinking about it I realized that my JW training had taught me that any expression of emotion was wrong. The JW religion stresses "knowledge" and "rationality" (even if the beliefs are ridiculous they are still reached in some sort of "logical" order). During last conversation I had with my mother when we discussed her decision to shun me, I asked what it was about the JW religion that appealed to her. She said it was the "accurate knowledge" and the "truth" of doctrine. Right then and there I realized that we were on different wavelengths. To her Christianity was about doctrines and to me Christianity was about how you treat other people. I now believe that there is nothing wrong with the display of emotion in religion.

• heathen
    heathen

From what I read in the New Testament is that singing was supposed to be about how people felt . The WTBTS tries to control what songs people sing . This has been discussed in another thread but the point you are making is valid . I've even heard them say from the platform that singing is an important part of worship but they still go about it the wrong way . It seems it was more about an individual than an organization . I agree that a christian church should take the art of singing seriously because it helps to build up spirituality .

• JeffT
    JeffT

The services at our church always begin with 20 minutes or so of singing. I can't sing to save my life but I follow along and tap my feet or whatever. I think it puts one in a good mood and prepares the mind for thinking about God. It helps that we have a moderately large orchestra and about a 100 in the choir. It makes church a very enjoyable experience.

I agree, it was quite a change from the KH. A couple of years after we left I went inside the Tacoma during a convention. I happened to be in there when they were "singing" it was pathetic. Canned music playing while people stood around and mouthed the words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit