What are your experiences having Jehovah Witnesses work for you or you work with?

by adjusted knowledge 16 Replies latest jw friends

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore
    I worked for a witness owned company for 8 years and it was the worst experience of my life.  We had about 20 employees all witnesses.  There was constant stress and turmoil every day for everyone.  The owner was a real dick.  Nothing was ever good enough and someone was always being called into his office.  But when you had a problem with another employee, he couldn't be bothered.  He had no respect for anyone's intelligence or work ability.  He was always ever hiring elders, servants, ex CO's etc. and would put them in positions of authority over those who had worked hard for much longer.  All because he was itching to be made elder. And they all had to make a point of counseling everyone on personal matters that weren't work related.  I remember the worst was when he hired an ex CO (my nemesis) to be a manager.  I put my foot down and demanded to be appointed the position.  Found out later I was just being humored.  This guy knew no boundaries.  He had no business experience or tact either.  One day I come back to the office after being out on calls and he had completely redone my area of responsibility (because of course he had a better way)  After being disrespected so many times by this guy, I l finally let loose on him and ripped him a new one.  His words? "How dare you speak to me that way, I'm an elder!"  Of course I was the one called on the carpet for it.  My whole time there it was just everyday of the same crap.  When I got disfellowshipped they fired me.  I had to sign a release in exchange for a decent severance.  I was shown the door and had to wait outside for my last check.  When I came to pick up my first severance check, I was not allowed in.  I am so bloody thankful everyday I left that place behind.
  • zeb
    zeb
    I have found they want to talk talk talk, expect to get paid at the current rates and will turn out less than average work "New order is coming the (whatever) doesnt have to last long"beng the excuse. But i keep in mind I have never known but one to have any professional training in what they do.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Honestly I know where it's worked well for all involved and I've known of others where it's turned into a night mare.
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

We had a bro in the next congregation who would only hire JW's. Contrary to what most expected they didn't sing Kingdom melodies all day. He had around 50 employees, some part time, and most of the local pioneers worked for him. Most of the work was of the menial variety, packing postage stamps for philatelists. I'd been a lorry driver with a brick company and he asked me to work for him driving his brand new truck for a fresh venture he'd undertaken. I was quickly fired for (a) having a non-respectful attitude and (b) getting his brand new truck wedged under a low bridge just outside of Macclesfield.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    I have a relative who has a window cleaning business and a ministerial servant.  He had working for him another brother who was an elder at his hall .  So, this put him in the weird position of having this guy be his subordinate in the workplace, but his "boss" at the hall.  That was never a comfortable relationship.
  • Tapioca
    Tapioca

There are so many ways that such an incestuous relationship could go wrong that I'd be inclined to just say NO. AK, you said, "They never paid me." That's a downer! The other side of not getting paid is getting paid under the table. I know of people who have worked for years and years--no insurance, no withholding, etc. And because The End is so near, these abused workers never thought they would need the major medical or hospitalization. They sure as heck didn't think they would need the Social Security (U.S.).

The son-in-law (he's an attorney in private practice) always threatened to hire Dubs b/c they didn't have to have holiday celebrations and decorations year 'round. No birthdays, etc.

My own experience of 35 years in the Borg have been mixed; just like Bungi Bill, it's tough to say how much of the positive/negative came from the cult and how much came from the individual's personality. 

• blondie
    blondie

I had a good work record as a jw.  But I did have jw co-workers and my supervisor and some co-workers would ask why I was so different; on time, worked hard, didn't complain. didn't take long lunches or do personal stuff on work time. 

I would talk to those jws and they would just flip me off.  I would just tell my boss that he/she should judge them as individuals and not expect they would live up to a reputation they had not personally earned.

I work with a "jw" now for about 10 years....she never knew me in my jw days.  She went through a bad time marrying a jackass brother (I warned her).  She got an annulment and quit going....celebrates birthdays and holidays.  She is much happier.

I worked with jws that manipulated and caused trouble.  One was brought up on sexual harassment charges and fired (a woman).  I counsel non-jws how to handle jws at the door, those that are calling on family and friends to convert. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit