What are your experiences having Jehovah Witnesses work for you or you work with?

by adjusted knowledge 16 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I've managed several thousand employees in the last decade. I've had a handful that identified themselves as witnesses.  From experience, they were no different than any other employees. The only exception I've had experienced was their attendance. I've had to fire a few for poor attendance. I've also noticed an expectation that I should make special allowances for them in regards to days off. I'm usually very flexible and almost never deny requests, but I do ask for three weeks notice. I had one young man ask for three months off because he was going to be missionary next week. Really? You want three months off and only five days notice? I never tell any of them my history. I don't need to be accused of discrimination.

When I was an active witness during the 80's and 90's I would sometimes work with the brothers. They never paid me. I would mow yards, and help wax the floors of their accounts. I guess they were testing me for Bethel service. When I was in my late teens I worked overnights stocking shelves. I worked with three brothers from various congregations in Ft Myers. During our hour lunch, what came out of their mouths was more vulgar than most. All three were active and regular publishers.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    It's a bad idea.
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I have employed several JWs.  There are exceptions but generally I would say that it is a bad idea.  People expect to be released for "theocratic" activities however difficult that makes it for their workmates and the good of the business.  They expect to be paid top money whilst having next to no commitment to the job. There is little employer/employee respect.  There is an unspoken expectation of favours above and beyond those extended to worldly colleagues. 

On the domestic side dubs expect work done for nothing if you are doing something for them.  Conversely if you get a dub to do a job for you they expect eye watering rates to be paid.

In short, there is never a proper business like relationship.  It just doesn't work. As a rule, employing friends and family is a mistake for similar reasons.

• stillin
    stillin

What Sliding Fast said. Plus be prepared to be dragged into a witness employee's problems. I had one who, totally unknown to me, had been going out drinking and smoking weed with another of my employees. When he came clean about it to the elders, he said that there was a party like atmosphere at work and it put him in a mood to keep the ball rolling after hours. So I got called on the carpet by the elders for not "snatching my brother out of the fire." 

Who knew he was such an unstable person as to roll over onto the first person he could find to blame?! 

The really good employees that I've had over the years were non-Witnesses.

• LV101
    LV101

Horrendous!  So bad the PO recommended I avoid those situations.  He didn't explain or say anything other than that.  Unfortunately, I've hired a couple of them since leaving and never good.  One was a bad experience with air conditioner job (the worse fleece job plus he and is buddy showed up late, ran through the security gate - yes - we were embarrassed about Jehovah's people plus they had alcohol on their breath!) and more recently a witness workmen/handyman and his helper.  Never again!  Are these 'godly' people for real!  

I did have good experience with witness housekeeper yrs. ago - she was Spanish and perhaps made an effort to be conscientious and honest about work.  Most of them want to charge double what non-witnesses charge and are not qualified.  I know there are exceptions to the rule, of course.  Recently have had bad experience with a devoted Morman worker - omigoodness!  Their religion is their status/social life.  

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    I know many witnesses who run businesses, and all of them say without hesitation: "never hire witnesses!"
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I only ever worked for one JW, and I would have to say that he was an excellent employer. Mind you, he was an exceptional person (Having never known him before he became a JW, I cannot comment on how much his religion contributed  / did not contribute towards that).

Otherwise, all persons I know who worked for JWs have been unanimous that it was a negative experience. This includes a non-JW friend of my wife's, who worked many years for a pest control company where senior management is still dominated by prominent Witnesses. (Down in this part of the world, many elders are not window-washers. Pest control is another occupation in which the JWs are overly represented).

Bill  

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

I work with an active JW. It seems I can't get away from them, have had one at every job...one day after just starting my current job I was regaling my co-workers with a crazy JW-belief story from my past and another co-worker walked in and said, "Actually I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses." I was like, "Cool," and went on to finish the story and the conversation drifted to something else. Then she found me in the locker room later and we started talking JW lingo, you know how it goes, all the secret words and nods (troof, Muff-n-Egg, "out in service", etc).

Finally, she asked me if I'd ever been baptized. I said, "No worries, I was never baptized or anything. I was raised in it and left for several different reasons. Your mileage may vary. I hope you don't get weirded out. I tell funny stories about it because it was a really awful time for me and it's how I deal with it." And she said no, that she was glad I was there because I would understand why she wouldn't or couldn't do stuff, and said in a way we were still sisters and gave me a hug.

I feel so sorry for this lady. She's a hard worker and all, but she walks around with the weight of the Society on her shoulders. The poor woman is so anxious, depressed, and literally flinches when she thinks she's getting chewed out. MEEK. Oh, lord. And she feels she has to provide rationalizations for ANY bit of fun. I don't miss that, hell I never did that...which is why I left.

For example: Today, we got to see President Obama speak at our work place. To my surprise o_0, she had also snagged a ticket and was there, and we stood talking for a while. Of course, the orderliness of JWs at conventions came up, LOL. So we threw some JW-slang around for a while, then she started to apologize for being there and I said, "Hey, no worries. This is a historical event," and casually changed the subject. Oy. I feel so free and easy at times like this.

• Outgoing454
    Outgoing454

Seems that out of the ones we employ the major thing is always attendance. When talked to because they are missing to many days and looking for a resolution to help correct the problem I sometimes suggest going to the doctor to see if they can help with your illness.

Seem to get the reply they can't do anything for me or can't find anything wrong or can't afford to go to the doctors. It amazes me how sick some can be all the time and causes some to loose their employment.

Another  issue that I have had brought to my attention is around the holidays several associates complain that a witness passes out information why Christmas is bad or why this is bad and feel really uncomfortable about someone telling them what they should believe in.

I do always tell them they should in a respective manner tell them if they choose not to be bothered with the the information they are being given and if it continues to please let me know.

also when asked my opinion on what I think about the witness's and their message I just state do a  little  research on the internet and come to your own conclusion. 

But what ever their opinion respect their choice of religion and them.

• prologos
    prologos
    Remember, witnesses are supposed to put the "kingdom/wt interests" first, so do not expect a first class job., because you rate second at best.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit