Elders appointed by Holy Spirit?

by LadyBug 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Appointed by Holy Spirit?
    You'll be suggesting that HS is present in judicial committees next lol.
    One of the elders in my former congregation before he was appointed felt he must clear up something with my friend, a young sister. He asked her if she was going to ever mention the fact that several years earlier he had sexually abused her. He said he was very sorry but he obviously was not regretful enough to confess his sins to the elders about to hand him the privelege of overseeing the congregation.
    My friend promised to keep mum which was not hard as she was not exactly dying to shout it from the rooftops as most victims of abuse feel shame themselves.
    This guy is still an elder to this day and the whole pathetic episode was all the proof I needed that HS is not involved in appointment of elders.

Free

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

I think most elders enjoy the status of being in a "position of authority in the congregation", because it is the only part of their lives where they are able to strut round looking important with briefcases and clipboards.

The body of elders in the congregation I left was made up of the following:

PO - cleaner
    Elder 1- window /floor cleaner
    Elder 2 - carpet fitter
    Elder 3 - back street mechanic
    Elder 4 - retired
    Elder 5 - window cleaner/decorator

So it is pretty much evident that their working lives did not stretch them intellectually, nor did they have any serious responsibility. So they use their position as an elder to the full, and they won't relinquish it lightly!!

Enlighted UK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit