Tell Us About Your Local.

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

You know..where you go to relax, meet your mates, have a few bevvies. Everyone needs a local. Ex-JW's especially need a local to meet new people and get a new social perspective!

Englishman.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I guess this board is mine. I also think that what you are describing is more British than American. Unless you are talking about Starbucks.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I also think that what you are describing is more British than American

Really? Hey Mulan, I've seen "Cheers" a few times!

And what about that place everyone hangs out at in "Friends"?

Nah...you Americans go places, I know that..

Englishman.

• D8TA
    D8TA

One thing I love about Brasil is;

Every city, in every neighborhood has the corner bar(s). In bigger cities you have more fancy and themed places with decent toilets, but mostly in the smaller cities you have those small corner bars with a few tables and chairs and stinky W.C. that hasn´t been cleaned in a year.

Here in Aracaju ( I no longer reside in Rio, but a new city some 800 plus miles up the north-east coast, that has nice little beach houses and hot weather and no natural disasters...oh wait...I´m boasting now...*cough*) it´s a quaint litttle city with nice little neighborhood bars with clean bathrooms. There is a strip of mainroad near the ocean that houses all the typical beach-hut style dance clubs and themed bars as well. Next to my beach house, 4 houses down is a dance/bar/sports T.V. lodge.

But usually somebody in the neighborhood has some sort of festiva going on, so Barb-Q´s on the beach daily, and watching the stars at night or swimming in the ocean with a few good brews is common practice as well.

Envy me.

* runs away *

• Gadget
    Gadget

When I lived at my parents my local was a quiet bar at the end of the street with a pool table, juke box, etc. But I found out today that the person who shot the police officer in Leeds was arrested there, guess its not too quiet anymore! I drink in the Sngel Inn in Durham now, its a nice traditional heavy metal bar, but it can get a bit rowdy!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I just moved so need to find a new place..

Right now it is to go to SimpleSallys who lives around the corner!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

There's been a few since I left the troof. My very first bar was called "Rum Runners". It was decorated very nicely for a little hole in the wall. I loved how they transformed one of the support beams into a palm tree. The place had a great smell and everyone was friendly there. There was never one fight in all the times I went there. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. Also, they had karaoke every Tuesday which I loved, but that didn't stop me from going there all other days of the week. I loved attending "Island Night" where I'd see local bands play, and I was always winning gift certificates, passes, and free drinks off the radio. I was quite sad when the place shut down.

A recent place was called "Johnny's". It was a dive, but it was half a block from my house and they had karaoke! There were a lot of rowdies that went there, but I managed to make friends with all the regulars. Everyone there knew me. I have a lot of great memories from that place. Many birthdays, New Years, etc. As of late, they went under new management and got rid of Karaoke so naturally I stopped going there. It's probably not far from shutting down now.

Right now, I'm without a second home. I visit many karaoke bars around the city and run into people I know all the time, but it's just not the same as having a "spot" that I frequent. I'll find one sooner or later.

• shera
    shera

I don't really have a local...I just go where my feet carry me.

I do irish dancing once a week tho,I do consider that a social thing as well.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

In Manhattan us transit workers usually hang out in a restuarant/bar called One Fish,Two Fish. Nice crowd, good food, bartender is very liberal in his pouring the drinks, good music. Lots of good looking women hang out in there. Lots of fun, and ice cold mugs in the freezer for the Coors lite from the tap.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

The Riverside. There is a Greek/Italian restaurant upstairs, big dark cave of a bar downstairs with Mexican food. Mostly blue collar shipworkers, with some sailors and academic types thrown in for variety. It's a small town, so everybody knows everybody, and the bartenders don't even let me order, they just hand me a diet soda when I come in. It would be perfect if it did not get so crowded on weekends, and if they'd turn off the damn country music this one bartender makes us listen to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit