What I Hate About Halloween....

by konceptual99 11 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

....is that it has totally wiped away the distinct celebration of November 5th and Bonfire Night. Fireworks and bonfires are still ubiquitous this time of year but it's just merged in with Halloween which, whilst always being celebrated, was not as promoted and so overwhelming as it is now.

Bring back the Guy!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    P.S. Sorry for those outside of the UK but this is a bit of parochial soap boxing.
  • Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    We don't have that in the U.S. We have fireworks on Independence Day. But we also have Mexican Day of the Dead on Nov 1st.
  • jhine
    jhine

There have been fireworks going off around the village for days now . We don't seem to have that idea of a special night when families get together and burn " Guy " roast , chestnuts etc anymore . Another part of our national heritage that we have let slip .

Are any Brits having or going to a bonfire party on Nov 5th ?

Jan

• Mephis
    Mephis

It amused me greatly that the local bonfire here is held in the field with the memorial for when the Pope visited and gave a speech on that spot.

Will likely head to one of the displays, though I live on a hill above the city so I just need to look down and the whole skyline is a display. Bit Billy No Mates doing it this year, but I really need a badly cooked jacket potato at some point or my Winter diet will not be complete.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I agree, the food on bonfire night is the best!

I think it's just not very pc to cellibrate burning catholics, although I only recently found out his real target was not parliament but the King, James, a prize rotter.

You Americans would be a bit odd celebrating the execution of someone campaigning for religous freedom. Was it not this mean King James that precipitated the poor pilgrim fathers from leaving our shores?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Halloween has been pushed as a "safe"and commercial alternative. I'm in my 40's and it was barely celebrated in these 'ere parts when I was a child really.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i used to love the run up to bonfire night --as a kid. such fun with bangers----stuffing them up car exhausts---posting them into letter boxes. tying them to rockets and firing them at other gangs. dropping them fizzing into muddy puddles.

happy days --lol

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Love the comments! When I was brought up as a Witness my parents did not allow us to attend any displays due to the religious history of the event but we were allowed to watch from our bedroom windows like some poor Victorian paupers peering through the frosted panes at the rich children enjoying their presents, as if characters in a Dickensian novel.

What I found out in later years is many Witnesses did not really worry too much and would attend public displays. We went and watched our local big display over the weekend along with all the torches etc. etc. I know elders attend and there are loads of IGs going round of Witnesses going along.

Having your own firework party this time of year is a deffo no no but the whole entry into winter with jacket tatties, mulled wine and chestnuts is really nice.

The overtness of Halloween just seems to spoil the cosy side of our particular take on this time of year...

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

I live in Germany and I miss bommy night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit