"You Should Be Loyal To The Organization Because It Taught You God's Name"

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• franklin J
    franklin J

Minimus,

Your post struck a chord in me and I have to respond.

My mother is 83, and although she has been out of the "truth" for approx 20 years like me; has been reminising about it since my Dads death last March. She is the last left of her family, friends and generation, and the only thing that seems to bring her any comfort these days is her grandchildren and great grandchildren. I try to bring my kids to visit at least once a week. And lately she has brought up Jehovahs Witnesses, and references to her life ( at one time very theocratic and " pillar of the congregation" type) and talks about all the friends she and my father had ( Dad was an Elder, and no one came to his funeral- after 20 years being out- are we surprised? No.) . She has been speaking so fondly of her younger, fruitful years as a JW, that I offered to take her back to the Kingdom Hall . ( UGH! I said it for Mom) She said no, however I think she thinks of those days longingly.

I supose that my point is that she is so old and frail that I could not bring myself to disagree with her about my childhood and yearly adult years ( difficult as they were) as a JW, and to condemn the religion that she and my father chose for me. Not in front of her anyway. She knows that I no longer endorse the religious teachings I was raised with for myself or my children. And arguing with her might just make her feel worse, and at that age, so totally all alone.

I think it does not produce any results to argue with someone elderly . The mind is set after so many decades, almost like a tunnel vision. And all I can say is that, at that age, with all that life experience, and having to be alone and live with the grief of losing my father---if it makes you feel better and brings you comfort to go back to those beliefs--by all means do it.

( I cannot believe I said that)

Age does have some privledge. And placebos have been known to do some good.

At that age, can a comforting illusion be so wrong?

regards, Frank

• minimus
    minimus

Why beat up on the elderly? It's not right. But AT TIMES, I can't pass up an open fight (even with my mother).

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I didn't learn Jehovah from the WTBTS. I learned it from my mother who was never a JW and always sent them running when they came to her door. I prayed to Jehovah as a child but he was not the same bloodthirsty, mean, nasty, bully Jehovah the org taught about. My Jehovah really was a God of love. True love. Or as the Impressive Clergyman said, "Wuv. Twue wuvvvv".

Heather

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Or as the Impressive Clergyman said, "Wuv. Twue wuvvvv".

But did he lead Wesley and Buttercup in singing "Mawiage is God's Awangement?"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    But did he lead Wesley and Buttercup in singing "Mawiage is God's Awangement?"

Noooooo. My Jehovah would have had very hip taste in music. Cool, I was wondering how long it would take someone to get my Princess Bride reference. I'll never forget the first time I saw the Very Impressive Clergyman. PB is one of the most unique and clever comedies I have seen. Probably second only to Harold and Maude.

Heather

PS: Give me the gate key.

• minimus
    minimus

The Watchtower Society gets credit for everything. It ONLY taught us God's name, it revealed to us there's no trinity, hellfire, etc....ONLY thru the Witnesses....Yeah, right.

• simplesally
    simplesally

My Catholic grade school teacher told me that God's name was Yahweh and my Great-grandmother, a Baptist, told me that God's name was Jehovah and showed me in the Bible.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The name of the Pretty Pink Unicorn on Pluto is Gertrude.

Now everyone come over and be loyal to me! Oh, and send me 10% of your gross income!

Anything I say goes! And you better not question me or else!

• minimus
    minimus

I'm looking Elsewhere.

• gumby
    gumby

The dubs feel that knowing gods name is unique to them......only they USE it and recognise it's importance. What's funny, is they or nobody else, has been told how to pronounce it properly. If god was that intent on having his name known and spread.......would not he have given us the proper pronunciation?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit