Aztec - This one's for you!

by czarofmischief 39 Replies latest social current

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

This is a serious question I was going to raise anyway, and since Aztec feels that she is being ignored I must bring this thread to her attention and will faithfully respond to each and every thing she says; sometimes painfully, sometimes approvingly.

All right, I'll take AZTEC for 1000 dollars, Alex. Here's the question:

The Bible says that when a man and a woman get married, they become "one flesh". This doctrine is interpreted literally right down to this day: in that wives cannot testify against their husbands, and vice versa. What is your opinion of this? For instance, do you feel that "one flesh" is literal, in that husband and wife bond and grow closer together until they become one creature? Or is a metaphor of some degree?

My personal viewpoint is that it is more real than we know - I have noticed that long married couples tend to look alike, use the same mannerisms, and can even read each others minds to some extent. I literally believe that the two become one in a depth and manner beyond our current understanding.

CZAR

• Aztec
    Aztec

God does not exist so all of your questions are moot!

There ya go Czar!

~Az

• Aztec
    Aztec

BTW, you should change the title of your topic. You won't get many responses the way it is entitled.

Just so you know.

~Az

Good grief I'm such a dumbass!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Excellent. I am now responding. If I stop responding, it's because I logged off to go peruse the real world for a while. But I'll be back, and this thread will never completely die if you won't let it. It will be my living testament to my esteem for you, Aztec - a piece of Internet art dedicated to you!

God does not exist.

That is difficult to prove. What reasons do you have for denying any Creator at all? Come on, Azzy, you said that nobody appreciates your input, so bring it on, girlfriend.

Let me put up a couple of assertions in favor of God's existence:

1) The recurring need for spirituality and religion among humans, but nowhere else among the animals. If mankind is truly different, made in the image of something higher, then wouldn't you expect there to be fundamental differences in humans vs. animals? And we find them in religion and art.

2) According to the rules of this universe, everything has a cause, and everything has an effect. So whatever spawned this universe MUST be outside of it - it could not have erupted by itself.

Or is this too deep for you? Would you prefer to be shallow and pithy. By all means, feel free to flirt - I can flirt with the best of them.

• SM62
    SM62
    I have noticed that long married couples tend to look alike, use the same mannerisms, and can even read each others minds to some extent.

I now this is intended for Aztec, but I had to stick my nose in.

I know my husband pretty well, but I can also read my kids like a book. I know what upsets them, what makes them laugh or happy, what worries them or makes them nervous - and they are all adults with families of their own - yet I still know them so well. I also know my mother, sisters, nephews, nieces, close friends very well. Does this mean we are all one flesh? I think that the reason married couples can read each others minds is simply because this is what happens when you are constantly in close proximity to the same person. It can happen in many situations - in school, hospital, prison etc. When you spend a lot of time with someone, perhaps 24 hours a day every day, you can read their feelings even before they express them verbally.

wives cannot testify against their husbands, and vice versa

I thought this had been abolished??

do you feel that "one flesh" is literal, in that husband and wife bond and grow closer together until they become one creature?

No way - I most definitely do not act or look like my husband. However, I'm sure some couples would say the opposite - it'll be interesting to get their views.

Terri

• Aztec
    Aztec

Dude, stop! LOL!

I don't have to prove that god does not exist anymore than you have to prove that it does. Who gives a flaming pancake?

Would you prefer to be shallow and pithy

By all means, feel free to flirt

~Aztec

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Czar:
    Interesting topic. Aztec's right about the thread title, though

I agree that a bond occurs between partners (regardless of paper).
    The longer it lasts, the deeper it gets.

Aztec:Now, here's an instance of you wading in with something superficial.
    You just blew the dude off, without a second thought...

Edited to add, I don't think this has anything to do with a debate on "God", and also that I wonder about that comment of physical similarities, too.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Czar - I believe you are dead on in your assessment. The longer a couple lives together, they do tend to pick up each other's mannerisms and verbage. I don't know about the physical appearance, I haven't seen this myself. As people age - they all start to look alike - old.

How this proves/disproves God or the existence thereof I can't figure out! I'm pretty sure that these observations are not "new" to mankind.

• shera
  • Xena
    Xena

I think it depends on the couple and how deep the bond is...just being together doesn't make them one...it's when they really love one another and commit to one another...then they become one after time.

I think it's a rare and beautiful thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit