Oh that wonnerful land called Texas & it's curiosities ...

by Celtic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    And this was in the 80s...

Bisous, I did assume you hadn't been to Mississippi,I apologize about that. I hope people in Mississippi are more accepting of interacial relationships by this time.

My fiance was born and raised here in Michigan. He tells me the difference between most northern states and the southern ones is that the prejudice is in the open down south and up here people are quiet about it.

I was at a birthday dinner last night and a man there said he wasn't into football or any other sports anymore because of "there are too many colored people playing them." Was this man from the South? No, he was born and raised in Chicago by Slovakian immigrant parents. They moved to Michigan when he was in his teens during the 1950s. I hear more of racism and prejudice up here than I dreamed I would.

It bothers me that people think racial prejudice is a southern thing. It just isn't true. Most of us take the rap for the vocal few.

Again, I apologize for my assumption and I hope that you realize most southerners do not share the views of those who hurt you.

Heather

• bisous
    bisous

Heather-

My post was responding to Celtic's question "What is your worst state and why"....I replied based on my worst experience.

Trust me, given my experiences and raising a son who is 1/2 black, I am painfully aware that prejudice exists everywhere. I've lived on the east coast, west coast, North West....and seen it in each of those places. Never as overtly as my experience during a trip through the south. That doesn't mean I've fooled myself that it doesn't exist many places throughout the US in one form or another. Part of my responsibility of raising my son has been to educate myself on the experience and history of blacks in our country.

• codeblue
    codeblue

I lived in Texas for 10 years. My youngest son was born there.......one of my favorite memories!!! I met a lot of nice people and the Bluebonnets are so beautiful!..Blue Bell icecream is the the best icecream in the country!!! (for real it is!)

Codeblue

• Valis
    Valis

AND please let us not forget one of Texas' biggest contributions..

*LOL* There is a large conservative group here, but so too is there a much larger, younger and naughty generation who could care less what the bible thumpers have to say. As well, we probably have more strip clubs than most states do, the boobie implant capital of the southwest, the only state in the union w/a clause stating we can leave the union whenever we want, home of Stevie Ray Vaughan, the last state to fight for its independence on its own, hmmm....I'll have to think of some more..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You mean that TV program was wrong, and Texas isn't full of sweet, blonde virgins?
    D*mn! I'm cancelling my visa application!!!

As for toothbrushes and handtowels, I think there are still too many black'n'white people around (rationally speaking, not racially).

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Here's one of the country songs I like:

I've seen a lot of places
    I've been around the world
    I've seen some pretty faces
    Been with some beautiful girls
    But after all I've witnessed one thing still amazes me
    Just like a miracle you have to see to believe

'Cause God blessed Texas with His own hand
    Brought down angels from the promised land
    Gave 'em a place where they could dance
    If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance
    I've been sent to spread the message
    God blessed Texas

First He lit sunshine
    Then He made the waters deep
    Then He gave us moonlight
    For all the world to see
    Well everybody knows that the Lord works in mysterious ways
    He took a rest then on the very next day

God blessed Texas with His own hand
    Gave 'em a place where they could danceIf you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance
    I've been sent to spread the message
    God blessed Texas

God blessed Texas with His own hand
    Gave 'em a place where they could dance
    If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance
    Well I've been sent to spread the message
    God blessed Texas

God blessed Texas
    Mmm...God blessed Texas

• Valis
    Valis

eheh LT...we've got all kinds...oh and did I mention we have more known Apostates than any other state so far?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• bisous
    bisous

Valis, you crack me up....

• Valis
    Valis

Hiya buscuit!

Also to add, the home of Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Janis Joplin and Kinky Friedman. To name a few..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

"Ohhhhh, give me land,

lots of land,

under starry skies above,

Don't fence me in................."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit