How serious did you take stuff like this?

by kj 22 Replies latest jw friends

• kj
    kj

This is a quote from Kingdom Ministry, 6/89

WHOLESOME

ASSOCIATION

One cannot walk with God while running in association with those of the wicked and sick society that approves of everything that God abhors. The Bible warns: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Some in the congregation may be inclined to invite worldly acquaintances and unbelieving relatives who have no interest in the truth to social gatherings, thinking that this will encourage them to accept the truth. However, is this wise and in harmony with the Scriptures?

Stuff like this really gets me. My aunt actually threw 2 graduation parties for my cousin- one for the JW friends, and one for the wordly family. Guess she didn't want to risk contaminating the flock.

kj

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No no no... Jehovers Witnesses are not restricted from associating with non-JWs!!!

• Celia
    Celia

"...some in the congregation...." Wow! I wonder what a "householder" would say to that at the door... of course, this kind of hate speech is never talked about with an "interested one".

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How seriously I take it depends upon when you look at me:

When I was a pioneering ministerial servant, my eyes clouded with visions of the god who lives in Brooklyn, I took it very seriously - these were life-saving instructions from the spirit-led bride of Christ.

Now, I consider it hogwash.

• Special K
    Special K

KJ..

Just curious..

After your Aunts entertaining two sides of the fence for your cousins graduation..

my question is...... Is your cousin still a J.W. now..

or is he living a two sided life as well....

just curious.

Special K

• Huxley
    Huxley

I took it fairly seriously,

uh..no, we didn't belong to a cult...

Huxley

• kj
    kj

Special K

Unfortunately, my cousin is still a JW. She has, at times, lead a double life. She got in trouble for having a wordly boyfriend in high school and...gasp...GOING TO THE PROM My aunt keeps a very tight reign on her kids, I feel sorry for them.

But for the next graduation party, my aunt realized how much work 2 parties were and let us heathens mingle with the JWs

• Sassy
    Sassy

My mom had two grad parties when I graduated too... My dad who was not a JW, was not that crazy about being around for the JW one.. that was the following Saturday.. But the night of graduation family (all were non JWs and all my dad's coworkers and friends) were invited over..

Guess which party had the alcohol??

I wish I could have gone to my prom.. that wasn't allowed of course..

• Deleted
    Deleted

When I was still Borg I had my cousin's son and friend from the UK staying with us during their round-the-world trip. There was a local gathering in a nearby park, so I invited them to come along. It was summer, they were fairly scantily clad and one was wearing a rustic looking cross around his neck. I watched the PO looking at him (and me), disgustedly. I'm sure (even then) that the cross meant nothing but man did I feel uncomfortable, it was like bringing Satan into our midst. A few of the "friends" were very sociable, which took the edge off.

• freedom96
    freedom96

A pastor told me recently that Christians absolutely should invite non-Christians to events, so they can see how it is being a Christian.

Completely opposite of the WTS teaching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit