How do some of these rumours start?

by joenobody 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• joenobody
    joenobody

Blondie's comments in the thread about Jim Penton's upcoming book got me thinking. She was talking about the JW rumour mill. I've been out (DFed) since 1995 and have only set foot in a KH for my brother's wedding. My brother informed me a couple of weeks ago that an old friend was asking about me. She has heard through the grapevine that I had been reinstated (pretty funny). I asked him to figure out where she heard that from - I am pretty unclear as to how that might've started. Apparently this has made it's rounds around our city, maybe started when I was probably spotted talking to a few JWs that I've run into in public. It's pretty sad that she would be genuinely concerned about me (she and her husband apparently ask my parents about me from time to time) but that they can't pick up the phone and ask for themselves.

On a better note, my brother confessed to me that he is "out" (ie. of the organization). I found out he had been doing research for 2 years in private and decided to stop going to meetings. He too, like me hates to be deceived and couldn't put up with the lies anymore. I was in a total state of shock when he told me - overjoyed, but not really even believing what I was hearing again. He hasn't told my parents or other "superfine" brother yet. I don't want to say much else in order to protect his identity (although when he read this board, he could never figure out who my user account was).

• Sassy
    Sassy

JWs have nothing more to do than gossip with their free time. It has always been a problem..

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I love it when rumors start about me. Gives me something to laugh about.

Apparently, there's going to be karaoke at my wedding.

• micheal
    micheal

They started a rumour about me that I was pregnant. Oh yes, I'm a dude.

And fit - go figure

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Sad to say, the rumors that seem to spread the fastest are when bad things happen to those on the outside. They thrive on Negativity (Not their fault of course; that's how they've been programmed)

Rarely will you ever hear the JWs discuss the "Good" that happens.

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

Yes, most of the Witnesses I knew and still know, can't seem to heed the organization's admonition about gossipping. I got ill when my x- wife would sit at the dining room table with other miserable sisters drinking coffee and eating fatening treats while sharing everyone's business. Sometimes I also got sucked into the conversations because there isn't anything more intriguing, in "The Truth", than learning how Brother Elder was found out about his smoking and extra-marital affair for a number of years while serving the congregation in "good standing". (Hey! That brother was one of the elders on the committittie that DF'd me for smoking!)

I still know alot of Witnesses because while I have been DFd for a number of years, my old friends' kids are friends with my kids.

I have a brother who was once a pioneer and MS, but one day just dropped out and came out of the closet. Later he just seemed to drop off the face of the earth and nobody, not even family had heard from him in almost 10 years. One of my kids' friends told my kid recently to tell me that my brother was currently living 45 minutes up north serving as a MS in a local congregation. That kid's dad was good friends with my bro for many years so I viewed the information as reliable.

I spent alot of time calling all the KH's in that area looking for my bro and nobody had heard of him. Hmm . . .

Well, I received a call just two days ago, all out of the blue, from none other than that long lost brother who laughed when I told him the rumor I had heard, saying, "shit, serving as a MS anywhere is the last place you would have found me. I've been living in Colorado for the last 9 years".

My x-wife spread the rumor in her congregation that I was dying from . . . well it doesn't matter, but when I heard about it I laughed and chalked it up to "wishfull thinking" on her part.

Ciao,

H

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

What's this new book by James Penton about?

• Maverick
    Maverick

I think this has two sides to it. First, being in a closed society the duds are starved for things to talk about that will make them feel important. The J-dud Masters slap them down all the time, telling them they are dirt! So they have a need to have some special "inside" information. Ever have someone get a new release publication BEFORE the convention? See how everyone reacts to this person. They ARE special!

Second, the J-dud Masters themselves need a grapevine to invalidate anyone who comes to his/her senses and starts to tell others about the cardboard world they are living in! So, as much as they talk about how BAD gossip is, they need it and do little to stop it!

My ex told people the I am secretly married to this sister who has remained a friend of mine. The Elders drive by my house and alley to see if her car is there! They confronted her about this last week but are trying to make sure we are not married before they DF her for hanging out with an Apostate! Stupid people! Maverick

• Special K
    Special K

Hi joenobody..

Rumors can be annoying sometimes..

but glad to hear that your brother has left the J.W.'s.. that must be a shockingly happy SURPRISE for you.. It's great when you have a sibbling that can get out of it especially when you may have thought that would never happen in a million years. (That experience has happened to me this year with a sibbling.. and I am still amazingly shocked whenever we talk together)..

sincerely

Special K

• Sassy
    Sassy

The rumor going around about me are that I am posting on an apostate board..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit