Has anyone tried using gold and metal detectors?

by EdenOne 23 Replies latest social physical

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Thanks for the replies.

I'm mostly interested in finding gold nuggets, and treasure hoards are relatively rare where I live. Besides, there's the question of unduly disturbing an archaeological site, which is worth considering. Nevertheless, I wonder where's the 'sweet spot' price range for a fairly professional piece of gear - I'm willing to spend around 1.000€. Not interested in a ROI, just in the fun it can bring.

BTW, Cofty, those are some neat findings!

Eden

• Splash
    Splash

That sounds like a lot of money for a detector!

There are some good tips for the things you are looking to do

http://www.treasurebarrel.com/96/metal-detecting-for-gold-nuggets/

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

When it comes to " gold detectors" I am sure I would rather use them than be used by them.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty

Often it is not the potentially valuable things that are the most interesting.

This is a 400 year old toy pocket watch. These two pieces would have been joined back-to-back.

There is an inscription around the engraving of the soldier that reads "AD VERNON". There was a Vernon who mustered the troops for Charles I during the English Civil War in the mid 17th Century

I found this and a similar specimen just a couple of minutes walk from my house. Amazing to think about children playing here all that time ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit