Has anyone tried using gold and metal detectors?

by EdenOne 23 Replies latest social physical

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I'm thinking about trying out a new hobby.

In my country there are plenty of places that are geologically suitable for the presence of gold nuggets. In fact, several gold mines have been historically explored from the days of the Romans until present day.

At the same time, I love archaeology and history and there are many possible unexplored archaeological sites near me that might merit a superficial survey. Besides all that, I love being in the wild. All things considered, I'm thinking it might be fun to get a gold/metal detector and give it a try. I've seen quite a few videos and it seems like fun.

Has anyone here tried it already? Any experiences you'd like to share?

Eden

• Splash
    Splash

I tried it as a youngster, it was good fun sweeping a beach to collect enough coins for my next set of batteries.

To search on any private land you need the owners permission of course, and normally an agreement to split anything you find. Detecting on a known archaeological site needs special permission and probably supervision.

If you need an excuse to get out in the fresh air it can be a nice pastime, but you would soon get into the 'if I was a roman burying my hoard, where would I put it" mentality, looking for ancient natural markers in the landscape.

There is reckoned to be a wealth of hidden treasure in England, by those who buried everything before they left for battle, but never made it back.

If you detect on a soil high in gold dust you might need a certain type of discriminator to only pick up the bigger pieces and not the background noise. I've never done that so wouldn't know.

I found old coins (nothing like Roman though), lead toys, some Victorian stuff and some jewelry.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I have a cheap one. I, like you, love archaeology, history, and being in the wild. I love adventure and exploring.

Using a metal detector is exciting and loads of fun; you never know what your next step is going to bring. I've never had a chance to use it except around my house, but I hope to in the future if I can ever get some time.

I know nothing about higher end models - whether they can distinguish different types of metals, etc.

Never found anything valuable, but still lots of fun. Go for it. The hunt itself is fun.

• Simon
    Simon

It looks fun - some people seem to find cool old things, sometimes valuable.

I can see it being addictive - what if the big find is in that next bit you haven't searched yet? I'd best keep going ...

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Simon, Canada shares many geological features with my country, especially the quality of superficial quartzite veins on granite outcrops. (Where gold is usually trapped) Perhaps you might as well give it a try ...

Eden

• kaik
    kaik
    Depending on the country, it can be illegal. It is in the Czech Republic. There are laws which states that all archaeological artifacts older than 50 years belongs to state. I would assume most of EU will have the same laws and regulation. It will also extremely irresponsible devastating archaeological sites just for fun and dig out any buried treasure. Even pottery can valuable. In the Czech Republic this is a huge problem by amateur diggers devastating sites. The main targets are Celtics fortifications as the artifacts are in demand on the black market. In Croatia amateur diggers devastate shipwrecks and in Ukraine Scythians burial mounds.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    I have a friend who detected for twenty years then suddenly got into bottle digging instead. He says he gets FAR more satisfaction bottle digging than he ever did detecting.. Victorian tips/dumps. Antique glassware. Google it!
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force

Here is something that might help depending in which Land you live as regards what you fine. This is a summary for some non UK Lands.

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Just do it. Detecting for coins, jewelery etc. is a strange hobby- it doesn't depend on equipment so much as location & local knowledge. So you can get into the game for about $70 or so, and recoup your money in a short time if you're lucky. Start in your backyard, and go from there... beaches, parks, old ruins, vacant lots... just amazing what you can find.

You do have to be a little bit mad to enjoy it though...

• Zoos
    Zoos
    In fact, several gold mines have been historically explored from the days of the Romans until present day.

Do they have any places that have been explored from the days of 1st and 2nd Timothy?

Besides all that, I love being in the wild. All things considered, I'm thinking it might be fun to get a gold/metal detector and give it a try.

This is all the reason you need.

In my corner of the world there is a lot of placer gold. I went out and bought a panning kit and have tried it out in a few streams while I'm hiking. Found a little bit. I won't be buying my dream double wide anytime soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit