Anyone here ever been homeless?

by maybesbabies 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

I became homeless as a result of my own actions. Of course, no one wakes up one day, living in a comfortable house with amenities that he worked for years to obtain, and says, "I'm tired of this; I think I will go for homelessness instead." But I had problems that resisted solution, in desperation I made some choices that proved disastrous, and I ended up losing the two houses that I owned and in time being unable even to rent an apartment or room. Although I was working, the government garnished 2/3 of my after-tax income, which left me unable to pay rent.

My period of inability to pay for housing began in mid-2001, and just ended in September, 2003. Until June, 2002 I was able to stay with friends. After that, I slept outdoors, and during the winter in a non-operational van that a co-worker gave to me, until I was able to convince the government to reduce their garnishments, moved into a higher-paying position with my employers, and saved a few dollars to cover the deposit on an apartment.

I learned a lot from the experience, and in some ways I actually recommend it for a limited period of time, but I wouldn't wish for anyone to be forced into it involuntarily. It can be pretty harsh - and I never did end up sleeping in a park, under a bridge, or on the steps of the church, as many do.

It's particularly hard when something like this happens to a person in mid-life or later. It is perhaps easier for a younger person to imagine himself or herself bouncing back and creating a better life in the future. I'm only a half-century old, and in very good health, though, so I am concentrating on building the life I want from here on out.

Cruithne

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I was at one point at 18 my Dad left my Mom after 32 years of marriage my Mom was lost in a Valium haze and our house (upper, upper middle class) was being foreclosed on) My Mom had never worked and was not able to.

It was weird but I pulled it together and kept us off the street.....

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

These stories are all amazing!! What a group of survivors we have here!!! It's also quite telling that a lot of homelessness was due to our own families, and their total submission to the WBTS bu**shit. I am so thankful that you've all shared your stories!!! I can't tell you what this means to me, having felt very ashamed of growing up homeless. It's so good to have such supportive friends now, and people we can share our life stories with. Thank you all!!!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Um, I meant that you were punny, not the "rectify" part.....

Syrup: Yeah right.. lmao

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

It was embarrassing at the time in a way. Everyone else's parents seemed to be nice & actually taking care of their families (worldly friends, I had only 1 jw friend), & sending them to college, and I know I looked really stupid out there on my own. It made me look like I had made very foolish choices in life, & it actually DID make me make some really foolish decisions. Most people that age do not have the tools to be out there fending for themselves at that age. I know I didn't! But you get by, sigh.

Then it made me bitter & hateful for a spell. I felt ripped off & couldn't understand the hand I was dealt. It did make me a stronger person, but you can't just dismiss it like that as if it was some bad fairy tale with a happy ending. I was very intelligent & could have gotten farther than community college, had I had the backing of a decent family.

It gave me a certain empathy & understanding of poverty & poor people, & how they got that way. It gave me an appreciation for everything I have had ever since & I am never so arrogant to think that I will never be there again. And it made me a better parent.

But you know what? I didn't NEED it. At all. I could have become a strong, appreciative person without witchtower's interference in my familie's life. It was kind of fun while I was there to meet all kinds of weirdos & experience the wild side of life. But it is certainly not the way to take care of a family.

Anyone can be successful though, even with a rocky start. You must have the drive, & sometimes it is fuelled by anger. But the college is out there, some government grants are out there, the student loans are out there, & anyone willing to work hard & not lose focus can do it! When these people deal you a bad hand, it's all you CAN do!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit