Music You Grew Up With

by Nosferatu 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Blinkin Val Doonakan, shadows, abba, jungle book, mozart, more mozart, even more mozart, pink floyd got in somehow, the new seekers, more mozart, the birdie song, more mozart that was about it

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

I was very lucky, musically at least, my mother was into swing, Duke Ellington and the RatPack, while the old man was into Ray Charles, Milt jackson, Dinah Washington and had been bitten by the Blues at early age.

A story my mother always likes to relate is after a meeting when I was a young kid, we got in the house and I asked my dad to play some jazz on the record player. He put on a track called the Back Street (?) Mortuary Blues, a 40's blues track about a guy who has to identify his dead girlfriend. At aged 8 I didn't understand it, but my mother thought my father might have sympathised with the record a bit too much.

Incidently, isn't the root of the word jazz - jass, Swahili, which means sex, or a vulgar form of it? Must be a JW no-no.

My father, due to some mental aberration, or instructed at an elders meeting, or some such nonsense, he stayed up one night and listened to all the records my sister and I owned. He then wrote on the cover of each record in biro (unforgiveable) his comments, eg sex, demonic, about suicide etc. He probably had nightmares for a month, I was into AC/DC, Free, The Doors, Led Zep, Santana and James Brown. He never asked us to throw them out though, which I thought was odd considering the content. Led Zep demonic, Santana - demonic, AC/DC Satan loving, child eating fornicators - Excellent stuff

Wallflower

• Eric
    Eric

"I Wanna Be a Cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry. 12" EP (Saddle mix).

Yep, there it is, the sore thumb...

• Huxley
    Huxley

Just found...

Trash can sinatras

Joy Division

from the vaults of my collection..

ah sweet dark sad music of my gloomy teen years..lol.

Huxley

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Various.....................being Italian growing up in Australia I was lucky enough to have a culturally diverse environment to grow up in.

So I went from listening to Bobby Darren/Dean Martin/Mario Lanza/Doris Day/The Deltones/Italian pop and country music compiles as a kid to.......................

• Suzi Quatro
    • Led Zepplin
    • Patti Smith
    • Abba
    • Beatles
    • INXS
    • The Pretenders
    • Deep Purple
    • T Rex and Marc Bolan
    • Alan Sorrenti
    • Aretha Franklin
    • Jackson 5
    • Sam Cooke
    • Jackie Wilson
    • Ella Fitzgerald
    • The Osmonds
    • Jose Feliciano

etc, etc, etc.......................my collection has become healthier since leaving the borg.

Cheers, Bliss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit