Are the days of the week Pagan?

by shotgun 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shotgun
    shotgun

Someone posted that the WT should discard the calendar and the days of the week as pagan because of their origins.

Actually they did and tried to replace it with their own. Didn't last but it shows the mindset of those who were telling everyone God was directing them at the time and still today.

• shotgun
    shotgun

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm having trouble making it bigger!

Any hints from the peanut gallery.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Well, I've heard that the names of the days and months were pagan all my life, but never have seen this "Theocratic" calendar. LMAO! wonder why that one didn't work...

on another note, Pater (hubby) finally finished the book you lent him. Interesting stuff. I'm reading it next then we will pass it along, unless you want us to mail it back to you.

Thanks,

Odrade

• shamus
    shamus

Pardon my english, but what F**king weirdo's!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

omg..this is too funny! Did you notice how the months only have 29 or 30 days? The year has been shortened to 355 days!

• drwtsn32
  • shamus
    shamus

Shotgun,

Where the hell did you find this? I can't believe it!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Well the months all have "pagan" origins.The months of July and August which were named after the Roman emperors Julius and Augustus. The rest were named after "pagan' Gods except the last 4 months which mean the 7, 8, 9 and 10 months (Sept.Oct. Nov, Dec). The story goes that there was originally only 10 months of the year and when they were setting up the Julian calender they added two moths July and August. August had only 28 days but emperor Augustus not to be over shadowed by Julius stole 3 days from February giving August 31 days and leaving February with 28 days. ..

The same can be said about the days of the week. They were all named after "pagan" gods and Sunday was named after the sun god. The Christian church adopting that as their holy day named after the "pagan" sun god.

Will

• shotgun
    shotgun

Doc... I sent you the scan.

Shamus..it was in Apocalypse delayed by J.Penton

Odrade...no problem, you can pass the book on to other interested readers.

Roll out those crazy, hazy, lazy brains in Bethel, those days of soda and cigars and beer.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Actually I heard of a proposal to go to a 13 month calandar with every day having 28 days which would leave one day extra. I think the extra day was to be added on at the end of the year as a holiday. If I come across this article I read about it I will post it.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit