Fireworks to be avoided at all birthday parties and Bethel dedications!

by shotgun 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shotgun
    shotgun

Taken from the Feb 4 2004 Almost Awake Mag

So it's ok for nominal christians but not ones who want to keep free from practises with Pagan origins.

• Special K
    Special K

Shotgun...

Your little picture.. I don't seem to be able to make it big enough to read...

How do I make it big enought to read?

sincerely

Special K (who loves to watch fireworks)

• Special K
    Special K

A bit better.

• Special K
    Special K

OOPS.. my efforts failed... sorry.

special K

• shamus
    shamus

Again, too wishy washy!

So are they supposed to or not supposed to use them? It doesn't say, as per usual.

• undercover
    undercover

The whole article wasn't shown. Is there a way to scan the whole thing? Does it actually say fireworks should be avoided by faithful ones??

• shotgun
    shotgun

It does not say wether they should avoided or not.

But using the principle to avoid all things with Pagan origins they do make a point of highlighting its Pagan origins and say nominal christians adopted the practise of using fireworks. It seems no different from a birthday party or thanksgiving when you use the same WT criteria to determine what is acceptable.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Wasn't there a recent article about how one should consider how a population currently views something? I believe they were saying that it is OK to use piñatas because they are no longer associated with demons and such.

I wonder if there is some disunity in the writing department. It's OK to use a piñata, but not fireworks... both with a demon history.

• Michael714
    Michael714

Using that analogy then, you could extend that to other holidays that are not viewed or celebrated in the same manner. Easter for example, whereas it had a pagan origin, it is no longer a celebration of pagan belief, but instead is a celebration of Christ's resurrection.

I doubt the WTS would ever start down that slippery slope judging from what I have read in these forums.

• undercover
    undercover

The pinata defense works best with birthdays. The pinata article said,

"When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the conscience of others. (1Cor 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what it meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area . Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues."

This same logic can be applied to birthdays, throwing rice at weddings, fireworks, etc. It just doesn't make sense to say "we don't celebrate birthdays because of their pagan origins", when pinatas, fireworks and other practices with pagan origins are okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit