Why do most dubyas feel it is necessary to get a new dress...

by Agent Smith 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sassy
    Sassy

and can you blame them? how many things can they do? at least they can look forward to a new outfit..

I know when I was single I always hoped that I would find an outfit to catch a brothers eye...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

oK ,I am only a mere male, but I can honestly say that I have never heard of the custom on this side of the Atlantic... You would think that somebody would have said if that was how they acted., and I never noticed a flurry of new dresses...Perhaps for a summer assembly, if the girl was young and single, but no more than that..Still , we always said Americans were materialistic

Personally, I always resented having to spend the money on formal clothes for the weekend.. I was never out of a suit

• Sassy
    Sassy

I hope people do not get the idea from this thread that Amercan JWs are all out getting new clothes for assemblies.. that did for the most part apply to the young single people. And not everyone could /can afford new clothes either.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Just so you know that not all Americans are materialistic: I shopped the second hand sales and thrift shops for most of my children's clothing. They always loved what I bought for them and they still still buy this way. I sewed for my daughter as well.

I owned very few dresses. I was petite and it was hard to find clothing that fit right. My ex husband was lucky if he owned two suit coats and couple of pairs of pants. He usually had two shirts and some hand me down ties. He never bought new suits for the memorial or convention.

My daughter had triple A width feet. That is extremely narrow. I often had to special order her shoes and they were very expensive. My son also had narrow feet. In order to be able to afford one pair of dress shoes and one pair of school shoes for them, I had to be thrifty elsewhere.

Not all of us Americans live like royalty and really most of us are content to live a simple life. Our lives are not accurately portrayed on TV. Most of us live in small three bedroom houses with one or two baths. I don't even have that anymore. I live in a 650 square feet one bedroom, one bath apartment on the third floor. I don't have a laundry room and I have to carry groceries and laundry up and down three flights of stairs. I don't own a car. I share with someone else.

If I could have all the money I wanted, I would be happy to pay my bills and have a nest egg. I'd like to travel some and have what I need basically. I'd live near my children. Simple things like that.

We Americans, we are often pretty down to earth folks believe it or not.

Heather

• shaii
    shaii

thank you Elsewhere. You are exactly right. Its like mating season.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Not all of us Americans live like royalty and really most of us are content to live a simple life. Our lives are not accurately portrayed on TV. ....

If I could have all the money I wanted, I would be happy to pay my bills and have a nest egg. I'd like to travel some and have what I need basically. I'd live near my children. Simple things like that.

I am so with you Flyinhigh now! My sentiments exactly..

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

I second that!!! I had a sister scream at me for an hour at a convention once because I had "embarrassed" her with my shoddy clothing. Didn't matter to her that we had just been homeless for almost six years and were now living in a motel, what on earth was I thinking not buying a new dress for the convention????? Not like our family needed to eat or anything

• wednesday
    wednesday

I once came to the memorial in a sexy dress with feathers in my hair. Looked a bit like janis joplin. I used jot always annoy the sistes too by wearing ankle socks with heels(it was hot fashion then).

• razorMind
    razorMind
    thank you Elsewhere. You are exactly right. Its like mating season.

Some of the young ladies at the District Conventions would be so desperate to outdo each other and snag a brother that they'd wear PROM DRESSES. Not the long ones but the shorter ones, sometimes strapless.

Mind you, this was the 80's and one can just about imagine what they looked like. Sure, a short prom dress may not scream "FORMAL EVENT!!!" quite like a long one, but don't forget that these were the days of gold lame' paired with black lace paired with teal lame', all on one dress. Electric blue, fuschia, lime green lame' as well. Umm, just a tad inappropriate for a RELIGIOUS EVENT, much?

Sometimes you'd catch a couple trying to recycle bridesmaid's dresses this way, as well.

It really was mating season, and competition was FIERCE.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It really was mating season, and competition was FIERCE.

Wow, why did I not ever notice this? 80s dresses were so crazy weren't they? We had a sis at our hall who was full figured. She dressed like Madonna with the mesh fingerless gloves and "slouch" socks and little high heel lace up boots.She came to every meeting in some crazy outfit. I used to be judgmental about it. Shame on me. She was the nicest girl. She dated lots of brothers not settling to simply be married. She waited for the right one. Now I look back on this and I think it was great that she rebelled and dressed as she wanted to.

I was divorced from my first husband at 20. I was then single for about three years. I never entertained the idea that brothers would be interested in me. I was told that most of them were looking for elder's daughters who were also virgins and they had to be tall with tiny waists and big knockers. I just wore my modest sister garb and minded my own business, raising my daughter. I never tried to dress to impress. Sadly I did marry a brother who was misogynistic.We spent 18 years making each other miserable. Thank goodness we are divorced now.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit