The book of Enoch as compared to Jude and 2 Peter

by frankiespeakin 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Looks like our lists are complementary. I see many good examples on my list missing from the other one.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Leolaia,can I come to your study classes.Wow,you always post great stuff !

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Frankiespeakin,good post and thanks for the links.

Blueblades

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

frankiespeakin.....did my list give you what you were looking for? Just curious because it took a lot of time to put it together.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leolaia,

Yes I considered very helpful, and thank you.

I'm interested in trying to understand so-called "acceptable" Christian Bible canon of the New Testament.

I don't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. And so I'm interested in where some of the Bible writers got there ideas from. I do believe in the inspiration of Scripture, just that I'm unsure where the locus of inspiration really lies.

I do think that Jesus Christ was sent by God, but I do not hold to the Bible being totally uncorrupted, and inerrant, for commonsense shows that "man" determined what was part Bible cannon and what was not. And they've changed in the early years for onetime one book could be acceptable then years later it's rejected and there was no common consensus as to what was part of the Bible cannon. So I think it's important to look at history, as honestly as one can.

The book of Enoch, I think offers some explanation although not complete it does shed some light.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

frankie....i think we have similar ideas. Enoch sheds some light, but the rest of the pseudepigrapha and other early Jewish and Christian literature help as well. They show how otherwise obscure things in the NT fit in to the overall range of beliefs of the period.

• frankiespeakin
  • slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Leolaia, thank you for that effort in putting that together. It was an absolutely fascinating read. I've been fascinated with the Bible Canon in general for some time and the Apocrapha specifically. How and why they picked what books, etc. Why the WTS decided to just go along with the established canon, etc.

Enoch has been especially of interest to me because of the extensive references in Jude. Thank you for your effort.

Has anyone done any in depth research into the Book of Thomas? It was recently rediscovered and of course has contriversy surrounding it as well.

• Narkissos
  • insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Just read this thread....five years old, but back to the top for all to read.....good stuff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit