The book of Enoch as compared to Jude and 2 Peter

by frankiespeakin 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Here's the book of Enoch link for those interested:
    www.altheim.com/lit/enoch.html

Lets compare the book of Jude, 2Peter and1Enoch and notice some startling similarities:
    Jude -14 Yes, the seventh one [in line] from Adam, Enoch, (Enoch 60: 8 ) prophesied also regarding them, when he said (Enoch 1:9): "Look! Jehovah came with his holy myriads, 15 to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him."

Enoch 1:9 And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgment upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly; and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
    And 1Enoch 60:8b ?where my grandfather was taken up, the seventh from Adam, the first man.

According to researchers the Book of Enoch was written before Jude or 2Peter, It definitely is not of Christian origins, and was part of the Qumran or Dead sea scrolls find and is quoted by other OT apocrypha (so that would make it highly unlikely that Enoch would have been quoting from Christian writings.

The Book of Enoch was read by the early Christian community as evidence of the book of Jude and the 2 Peter.

It is very interesting that Jude and 2 Peter have some very similar subject matter about the fallen angels that bares a remarkable similarity to the Book of Enoch examples:

Jude 6: ?And the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place, he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for the judgment of the great day?

2Peter 2:4 ? Certainly if God didn?t hold back from punishing angels that sinned. But by throwing them into Tartararus delivered them to pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment.?

1Enoch 12:5Then the Lord said to me: Enoch, scribe of righteousness, go tell the Watchers of heaven, who have deserted the lofty sky, and their holy everlasting station, who have been polluted with women.6And have done as the sons of men do, by taking to themselves wives, and who have been greatly corrupted on the earth;
    7That on the earth they shall never obtain peace and remission of sin. For they shall not rejoice in their offspring; they shall behold the slaughter of their beloved; shall lament for the destruction of their sons; and shall petition forever; but shall not obtain mercy and peace.

Here is something interesting about the very real impact the book of Enoch has had on apocalyptic literature in the NT. I think it has some value of understanding where Christians may have gotten some of there ideas.

I got the below information from this link:
    www.preterist.org/articles-old/book_of_enoch.htm

According to Jude, there were ?certain men crept in privily ... who were of old, written of beforehand unto this condemnation? (Jude 4). Written of beforehand? Who wrote about their condemnation beforehand? According to Jude, Enoch did. In other words, Jude is saying that Enoch wrote about an event that was to take place, not in his own time, but in Jude?s time, the time of the New Testament. In fact, that is how 1 Enoch begins, with God opening Enoch?s eyes, enabling him to see what should befall the elect, ?not for this generation,? Enoch is told by an angel, ?but for a remote one which is to come? (1 Enoch 1.2), at which time ?there shall be a judgment upon all men? (1.7).
    According to 1 Enoch 10.12, this judgment was to occur ?seventy generations? from Enoch, during which time the angels who sinned were to be kept in bonds ?until the day of the consummation, the great judgment in which the age shall be consummated? (16.1-2). It should be noted that according to Luke (who claims to have ?traced the course of all things accurately from the first? in Luke 1.1-4), there are exactly seventy generations from the generation of Enoch to the generation of Jesus Christ (Luke 3.23-37). In other words, it would not have been presumptuous for Jude to claim that 1 Enoch addressed the concerns of the Christians to whom he wrote. The generation of Jesus Christ had not yet passed away.

From a preterist perspective, 1 Enoch adds considerable weight to the many passages in the New Testament which clearly indicate that the consummation of the age together with Christ?s second coming took place in A.D. 70 (in the destruction of Jerusalem). This being the case, it should not surprise us to learn that 1 Enoch was banned by Hilary, Jerome, and Augustine and was subsequently lost to Western Christendom for over a thousand years. In short, it was suppressed. Why? Because it could not be made to fit their idea that Christ?s coming had not yet been fulfilled. 1 Enoch?s ?seventy generations? was too problematic. It could not be made to stretch beyond the First Century. Copies of 1 Enoch soon disappeared, and were it not for the fact that a number of copies have since been discovered and translated, we would have no knowledge of 1 Enoch outside of the references made to it in the Book of Jubilees, the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs, and in the writings of the Apostolic Fathers (many of whom regarded 1 Enoch as Scripture: i.e. Barnabas, Athenagoras, Clement of Alexandria, Irenaeus, and Tertullian).
    That Jude regarded 1 Enoch as Scripture can hardly be doubted, not simply because he quotes from it, but also because he makes no distinction between 1 Enoch and other Scriptures. ?Now I desire to put you in remembrance,? Jude writes, after which he alludes to two events recorded in the Old Testament and one recorded in 1 Enoch:
    ...the Lord, having saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. And angels that kept not their own principality, but left their proper habitation, he hath kept in everlasting bonds under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them...in like manner...are set forth as examples.... (Jude 5-7)
    That Jude would tell his Christian readers to remember something recorded in 1 Enoch is significant. First of all, it indicates that Christians were familiar with 1 Enoch; second, it shows that Christians regarded the contents of 1 Enoch as historically reliable. In other words, it cannot be consistently maintained that Jude?s believing 1 Enoch to be authoritative was an isolated case among the first century Christians.

• dothemath
    dothemath

I find this very interesting.......thanks for the research. I've been reading some of the apocryphal texts on the internet, as well as writings of the early Christians following the apostles.

The watchtowers do contain histories of the early Christians at times........but often the view is slanted toward present doctrine, etc.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

frankiespeakin....There are several other allusions to 1 Enoch in Jude as well, and possibly shows influence from another (now lost) Enochian book mentioned in the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs (cf. v. 8, 13, and the connection between v. 6 and 7). Plus there is the allusion to the lost ending to the Assumption of Moses. Jude is deeply steeped in the pseudepigraphal literature. 1 Enoch shows its influence all over the New Testament, especially Revelation and Colossians. I can provide a full list of citations if anyone is interested.

Leolaia

• gumby
    gumby

Frankie,

You must realise that god didn't want that book in his bible or else he would have told those men who decided which books would make up the bible to put it in there. He told those men EXACTLY which books were REALLY inspired and written for his purpose. The other men writers, didn't write the right stuff and god didn't like it, and so he told the men who decided things, not to include the other books. When the men who decided which books would make up the bible and they discussed it..........god made them all think the same and they decided the same cuz god did their thinking for them.

I hope I have helped here cuz I'm not real good at this stuff.

Gumby

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I would appreciate that list of Enoch allusions/quotations Leolaia. If it is not too much trouble. if it is on line just give the page and I'll copy it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Leolaia:

I can provide a full list of citations if anyone is interested.

Interested

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

There was a debate in the early church whether or not Christians should use apocryphal works and the pious stories contained therein to teach the faithful. Jude was a supporter of this idea.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Here is a list this is from a Preterist(Beleif that Jesus end time prophecy was completely fulfilled 70 AD.

Here is the site as well: http://www.preterist.org/articles-old/book_of_enoch.htm

In closing, we will list a few of the more significant statements in 1 Enoch which have close parallels in the New Testament writings. We believe these need much closer examination in the interests of not only seeing the intertestamental background of the New Testament writings, but to help understand the preterist view as well.

Quoted by Jude (see above).

?the healing of the earth? (cf. Rom. 8:18-21).

?the great glory sat...more brightly than the sun...no flesh could behold him? (cf. 1 Tim. 6:16).

12-14

Enoch preaches to the spirits in prison that waited in the days of Noah (cf. 1 Pet. 3:18-20).

Angels not marrying or being given in marriage (cf. Lk. 20.35).

16.1-2

Evil spirits permitted to destroy until the consummation of the age (cf. Mat. 8:29).

?the end of all things? (cf. 1 Pet. 4:7).

Souls crying out for judgment (cf. Rev. 6:9-10).

25.3-5

Description of the tree of life restored (cf. Rev. 22:1ff).

The appearance of ?the Righteous One? is linked to the appearance of the ?light? (cf. John 1).

?those that possess the earth shall no longer be powerful and exalted? (cf. 1 Cor. 2:6).

?For the Lord of Spirits has caused His light to appear on the face of the holy, righteous, and elect? (cf. 2 Cor. 3:18ff).

?mansions of the elect? (cf. John 14:2).

?This is the Son of Man...who revealeth all the treasures of that which is hidden? (cf. Col. 2:3; John 4).

48-51

Numerous New Testament echoes:

?Light of the Gentiles?;

?those who have fallen asleep in righteousness?;

?he shall judge the secret things?;

?All...shall fall down and worship him?;

?chosen hidden before Him before the creation of the world?;

?in his name they are saved...according to his good pleasure?;

50.3a

?through his name shall they be saved?;

50.3b

?all the secrets of wisdom and counsel... the Lord of Spirits hath given to him?.

56.5-8

?in those days the angels shall return...shall stir up the kings...shall go up and tread under foot the land of His elect ones...shall be swallowed up? (cf. Rev. 20).

?And after this it shall be said to the holy in heaven that they should seek out the secrets of righteousness, the heritage of faith. For it has become bright as sun upon earth and darkness is past? (cf. Eph. 3:10; 1 Pet. 1:12; Rom. 13:12).

?the word of his mouth slays all the sinners? (cf. Rev. 19:15).

?as on a woman in travail? (cf. Mark 13:8).

?when they see the Son of Man sitting on the throne of his glory? (Mt. 25:31).

62.5-11

The Lord will execute vengeance upon ?those who rule the world? (1 Cor. 2:6).

?wrath of the Lord of Spirits resteth upon them, and His sword is drunk with their blood? (cf. Revelation).

62.13-16

?The righteous and elect shall be saved on that day...and with that Son of Man shall they eat...shall have risen from the earth...clothed with garments of glory...and...shall not grow old? (cf. Mt. 26:29; 1 Thess. 4:17; 2 Cor. 5:1-2).

Translated into heaven, Enoch sees ?a structure built of crystals and...tongues of living fire? (Rev. 21:11; Acts 2:3-4).

?the world to come? (cf. Heb. 2:5).

?they shall not be separated from him forever and ever and ever? (cf. Rom. 8:35ff).

90.26-27

The fate of the sinners: to be thrown into Gehenna ? ?this abyss was to the right of that house? (cf. Mt. 23:33).

The Lord of the sheep brings ?a new house greater and loftier than the first? (cf. Heb. 3:6; 13:14).

91.3-4

The ?double heart? (cf. Jas. 1:8).

The increase of sin and violence comes prior to the Lord?s coming in judgment (cf. Luke 21:9; 2 Thess. 2:3).

?And all the righteous shall arise from their sleep? (cf. 1 Thess. 4:15).

93.1-16

The ?Apocalypse of Weeks? depicts the rise of ?an apostate generation? and its destruction, after which a ?new heaven? appears (cf. Mt. 23:36; 2 Pet. 3:13).

94.8-9

?Woe to you ye rich, for ye have trusted in your riches....Ye have committed blasphemy and unrighteousness and have become ready for the day of slaughter and the day of darkness and the day of great judgment? (cf. Jas. 5:1ff).

95.4-7

?Woe to you ...? (cf. Matt. 23).

96:1

?suddenly shall the sinners perish before you? (cf. 1 Thess. 5:1-3)

?they shall be trodden under foot? (cf. Rom. 16:20).

?horse shall walk up to the breast in the blood of sinners? (cf. Rev. 14:20).

?though the righteous sleep a long sleep, they have nought to fear? (cf. 1 Thess. 4:13ff).

100:9

?In blazing flames burning worse than fire shall ye burn? (cf. 2 Thess. 1:7; Heb. 10:27; 12:18, 29; Rev. 18:8; 20:9)

?the great judgment shall be for all the generations of the world? (cf. Mt. 23:32ff).

?in heaven the angels remember you for good before the glory of the Great One? (cf. Mt. 18:10); ?ye shall shine as the lights of heaven? (cf. Phil. 2:15); ?cast not away your hope? (cf. Heb. 10:23ff).

?For I and My Son will be united with them forever? (cf. John 14:23).

?generation upon generation shall transgress till a generation of righteousness arises? (cf. Acts 2).

?in the last days? (cf. 1 Tim. 4:1; 2 Tim. 3:1; Heb. 1:2).

?written...that the angels may read them? (cf. Eph. 3:10; 1 Pet. 1:12).

108.11-13

?I will transform those who were born in darkness....And I will bring forth in shining light those who have loved my holy name, and I will seat each on the throne of my honor? (cf. 1 Cor. 15:51; Eph. 2:6; Col. 1:13; Mt. 19:28).

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leolalia,

If you have additional info please share it.

Also the reference in Jude about the Devil desputing with Micheal about moses body is taken from the book called the "Assumption of Moses", which they have only found fragments.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

1 ENOCH PARALLELS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT AND THE APOSTOLIC FATHERS

EPISTLE OF JUDE

Jude 6: "And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, he has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day."

1 Enoch 12:4: "Go and make known to the Watchers of heaven who have abandoned the high heaven, the holy eternal place, and have defiled themselves with women."

1 Enoch 15:3, 7: "For what reason have you abandoned the high, holy, and eternal heaven; and slept with women and defiled yourselves with the daughters of the people....I did not make wives for you for the proper dwelling place of spiritual beings of heaven is heaven."

1 Enoch 10:4-6: " Bind Azazel hand and foot and throw him into the darkness....He covered his face in order that he may not see light; and in order that he may be sent into the fire on the great day of judgment."

1 Enoch 10:11-12: "Bind Semjaza and the others who are with him, who fornicated with the women, that they will die together with them in all their defilement...Bind them for seventy generations underneath the rocks of the ground until the day of their judgment and of their consummation, until the eternal judgment is concluded.

Jude 6-7: "And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, he has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day. Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh (heteras sarkos, "different flesh"), and exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire."

Testament of Naphtali 3:4-4:1: "Do not become like Sodom, which departed from the order of nature. Likewise the Watchers departed from nature's order; the Lord pronounced a curse on them at the Flood. On their account he ordered that the earth be without dweller or produce. I say these things, my children, because I have read in the writing of holy Enoch that you will also stray from the Lord." (Reference is to a lost Book of Enoch that Jude apparently also knew)

1 Enoch 106:5-12, 14: "I have begotten a strange son: He is not like an ordinary human being, but he looks like the children of the angels of heaven to me; his form is different, and he is not like us. His eyes are like the rays of the sun, and his face glorious. It does not seem to me that he is of me, but of the angels ; and I fear that a wondrous phenomenon may take place upon the earth in his days...his color was whiter than snow and redder than a rose, the hair of his head is whiter than white wool....He did not believe that the child was of him but of the image of the angels of heaven....[The angels] united themselves with women and commit sin together with them; and they have married wives from among them, and begotten children by them, upon the earth they give birth to giants, not of the spirit but of the flesh."

1 Enoch 27:2-3, 100:4-9, 103:7-8: "This accursed valley [e.g. Gehenna] is for those accursed forever; here will gather together all those accursed ones, those who speak with their mouths unbecoming words against the Lord and utter hard words concerning his glory. Here shall they be gathered together, and here shall be their judgment, in the last days. There will be upon them the spectacle of the righteous judgment, in the presence of the righteous forever....There was produced from that bronze and fire a smell of sulfur which blended with those waters. This valley of the perversive angels shall continue to burn punitively underneath that ground....The Most High will arise on that day of judgment in order to execute a great judgment upon all the sinners...Woe unto you sinners, when you oppress the righteous ones, in the day of hard anguish, and burn them with fire! You shall be recompensed according to your deeds. On account of the deeds of your wicked ones, in blazing fires worse than fire it shall burn ....You yourselves know that they will bring your souls down to Sheol and they shall experience evil and great tribulation--in darkness, nets, and burning flame. Your souls shall enter into the great judgment; it shall be a great judgment in all the generations of the world."

Jude 8: "Yet in the same manner [e.g. as the fallen angels and those who committed immorality with them, and those who lusted after angels in Sodom and Gomorrah] these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority, and revile angelic majesties."

1 Enoch 15:3-4: "For what reason have you abandoned the high, holy, and eternal heaven; and slept with women and defiled yourselves with the daughters of the people, taking wives, acting like the children of the earth, and begetting giant sons? Surely you used to be holy, spiritual, the living ones, possessing eternal life; but now you have defiled yourselves with women, and with the blood of the flesh begotten children."

1 Enoch 9:5, 7: "You have made everything and with you is the authority for everything....Semyaz, to whom you have given power to rule over his companions, co-operating, they went in unto the daughters of the people of the earth; and they lay with them -- with those women -- and defiled themselves, and revealed to them every kind of sin."

Jude 12-13: "These men are those who are ... wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam; wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever."

1 Enoch 17:6-7: "And I saw all the great rivers and reached to the great darkness and went into the place where all flesh must walk cautiously. And I saw the mountains of the dark storms of the rainy season and from where the waters of all the seas flow."

1 Enoch 18:14-16: "This place is the ultimate end of heaven and earth: it is the prison house for the stars and the powers of heaven. And the stars which roll over upon the fire, they are the ones which have transgressed the commandments of God from the beginning of their rising because they did not arrive punctually. And he was wroth with them and bound them until the time of the completion of their sin."

1 Enoch 21:6: "These are among the stars of heaven which have transgressed the commandments of God and are bound in this place until the completion of ten million years, according to the number of their sins."

1 Enoch 10:4-6: " Bind Azazel hand and foot and throw him into the darkness....He covered his face in order that he may not see light; and in order that he may be sent into the fire on the great day of judgment."

Jude 14-15: "And about these also Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, 'Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.' "

1 Enoch 60:8: "...the garden of Eden, wherein the elect and the righteous ones dwell, wherein my grandfather [Enoch] was taken, the seventh from Adam."

1 Enoch 1:9: "Behold, he will arrive with ten million of the holy ones in order to execute judgment upon all. He will destroy the wicked ones and censure all flesh on account of everything that they have done, that which the sinners and the wicked ones committed against him."

1 Enoch 5:4: "You have not been long-suffering and you have not done the commandments of the Lord, but you have transgressed and spoken slanderously grave and harsh words with your impure mouths against his greatness."

1 Enoch 27:2: "This accursed valley is for those accursed forever; here will gather together all the accursed ones, those who speak with their mouth unbecoming words against the Lord and utter harsh words concerning his glory."

EPISTLE OF 2 PETER

2 Peter 2:4: "For God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into Tartarus and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment."

1 Enoch 10:11-12: "Bind Semjaza and the others who are with him, who fornicated with the women, that they will die together with them in all their defilement...Bind them for seventy generations underneath the rocks of the ground until the day of their judgment and of their consummation, until the eternal judgment is concluded."

2 Peter 2:9-10: "The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority."

1 Enoch 10:11-12: "Bind Semjaza and the others who are with him, who fornicated with the women, that they will die together with them in all their defilement...Bind them for seventy generations underneath the rocks of the ground until the day of their judgment and of their consummation, until the eternal judgment is concluded."

2 Peter 2:17: "These are springs without water, and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved."

1 Enoch 17:6-7: "And I saw all the great rivers and reached to the great darkness and went into the place where all flesh must walk cautiously. And I saw the mountains of the dark storms of the rainy season and from where the waters of all the seas flow."

1 Enoch 10:4-6: "Bind Azazel hand and foot and throw him into the darkness....He covered his face in order that he may not see light; and in order that he may be sent into the fire on the great day of judgment."

REVELATION OF JOHN

Revelation 9:1: "And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the key to the bottomless abyss was given to him."

Revelation 12:4: "And his tail swept away a third of the stars of heaven, and threw them to the earth."

1 Enoch 86:1, 3: "And I saw a vision with my own eyes as I was sleeping, and saw the lofty heaven; and as I looked, behold, a star fell down from heaven but managed to rise and eat and be pastured among those cows...I saw many stars descending and casting themselves down from the sky upon that first star."

Revelation 9:2: "And he opened the bottomless abyss; and the smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the abyss."

1 Enoch 18:11: "And I saw a deep abyss with heavenly fire on its pillars; I saw inside them descending pillars of fire that were immeasureable in respect to both altitude and depth."

Revelation 20:1-3: "And I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him."

1 Enoch 90:23-24: "Behold, I saw all of them bound, and they all stood before him. Then his judgment took place. First among the stars, they received their judgment and were found guilty, and they went to the place of condemnation; and they were thrown into the abyss, full of fire and flame and fill of the pillar of fire."

1 Enoch 10:11, 14: "Bind Semjaza and the others who are with him, who fornicated with the women, that they will die together with them in all their defilement...In those days they shall be led off into the abyss of fire, and to the torment and prison in which they shall be confined forever."

1 Enoch 18:11, 14-16: "And I saw a deep abyss with heavenly fire on its pillars; I saw inside them descending pillars of fire that were immeasureable in respect to both altitude and depth....This place is the ultimate end of heaven and earth: it is the prison house for the stars and the powers of heaven. And the stars which roll over upon the fire, they are the ones which have transgressed the commandments of God from the beginning of their rising because they did not arrive punctually. And he was wroth with them and bound them until the time of the completion of their sin."

Revelation 20:10: "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimestone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

1 Enoch 10:12: "Bind them for seventy generations underneath the rocks of the ground until the day of their judgment and of their consummation, until the eternal judgment is concluded. In those days they will lead them into the bottom of the fire -- and in the torment -- in the prison where they will be locked up forever."

Revelation 4:2-3, 5: "Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One was sitting on the throne. And He who was sitting was like a jasper stone and a sardius in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, like an emerald in apperance...And from the throne proceed flashes of lightning and peals of thunder."

1 Enoch 14:18-22: "And I observed and saw inside it a lofty throne -- its appearance was like crystal and its wheels like the shining sun, and from beneath the throne were issuing streams of flaming fire. It was difficult to look at it. And the Great Glory was sitting on it ... the flaming fire was round about him, and a great fire stood before him."

Revelation 22:2, 14: "And he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of the street, on either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit every month; and the leaves on the tree were for the healing of the nations....Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life."

1 Enoch 25:4-5: "As for this fragrant tree, not a single person has the authority to touch it until the great judgment, when he shall take vengeance and conclude everything forever. This is for the righteous and the pious. And the elect will be presented with its fruit of life. He will plant it in the direction of the northeast, upon the holy place, in the direction of the house of the Lord, the Eternal King."

1 Enoch 10:18-19: "And in those days the whole earth will be worked into righteousness, all of her planted with trees, and you will find blessing. And they shall plant pleasant trees upon her -- vines. And he who plants a vine upon her will produce wine for plentitude. And every seed that is sown on her, one measure will yield a thousand measures."

GENERAL EPISTLES

1 Peter 3:19-20: "He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is eight persons, were brought safely through the water."

1 Enoch 18:14-16: "This place is the ultimate end of heaven and earth: it is the prison house for the stars and the powers of heaven. And the stars which roll over upon the fire, they are the ones which have transgressed the commandments of God from the beginning of their rising because they did not arrive punctually. And he was wroth with them and bound them until the time of the completion of their sin."

Hebrews 4:13: "There is no creature hidden from his sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do."

1 Enoch 9:5: "You have made everything and with you is the authority for everything. Everything is naked and open before your eyes, and you see everything; and there is nothing that can be hidden from you."

PAULINE EPISTLES

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3: "For you yourselves know that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. While they are saying 'Peace and safety!' then destruction will come upon them suddenly like birth pangs upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape."

1 Enoch 62:3-4: "On the day of judgment, all the kings, governors, high officials, and the landlords will see and recognize him -- how he sits on his throne of glory, and righteousness is judged before him, and that no nonsensical talk shall be uttered in his presence. Then pain shall come upon them as on a woman in travail with birth pangs -- when she is giving birth the child enters the mouth of the womb and she suffers from childbearing."

1 Corinthians 6:3: "Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, matters of this life?"

1 Enoch 13:10, 14:3: "And I recounted before them all the visions that I had seen in sleep and began to speak those words of righteousness and to reprimand the Watchers of heaven....Accordingly, he has created me and given me the word of understanding so that I may reprimand the Watchers, the children of heaven."

Colossians 1:18, 26 2:3: "He is the head of the body, the church ... so that he himself might come to have preeminence in everything, ... that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations but has now been revealed to the holy ones, ... in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

1 Enoch 46:3: "This is the Son of Man, to whom belong righteousness and with whom righteousness dwells. And he will open all the treasures that have been hidden; for the Lord of Spirits has chosen him, and whose lot has the preeminence before the Lord of Spirits in righteousness forever and ever."

1 Enoch 48:6-7: "For this purpose he became the Chosen One; he was hidden in the presence of the Lord of Spirits prior to the creation of the world, and for eternity. And he has revealed the wisdom of the Lord of the Spirits to the righteous and the holy ones, for he as preserved the portion of the righteous."

1 Enoch 62:7: "For the Son of Man was hidden from the beginning, and the Most High One preserved him in the presence of his power; then he revealed him to the holy and elect ones."

THE GOSPELS

Mark 9:43: "It is better for you to enter life crippled, than having your two hands, to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire."

Matthew 13:41: "The Son of Man will send for his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 25:31-46: "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. And all the nations will be gathered before him; and he will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; and he will put the sheep on the right and the goats on the left...Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.' ... And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

1 Enoch 27:2: "This accursed valley [Gehenna] is for those accursed forever; here will gather together all those accursed ones ... and here shall be their judgment, in the last days."

1 Enoch 100:4-9; 103:7-8: "There was produced from that bronze and fire a smell of sulfur which blended with those waters. This valley of the perversive angels shall continue to burn punitively underneath that ground....The Most High will arise on that day of judgment in order to execute a great judgment upon all the sinners...Woe unto you sinners, when you oppress the righteous ones, in the day of hard anguish, and burn them with fire! You shall be recompensed according to your deeds. On account of the deeds of your wicked ones, in blazing fires worse than fire it shall burn ....You yourselves know that they will bring your souls down to Sheol and they shall experience evil and great tribulation--in darkness, nets, and burning flame. Your souls shall enter into the great judgment; it shall be a great judgment in all the generations of the world.

1 Enoch 22:10, 51:1: "The sinners are set apart when they die and are buried in the earth and judgment has not been executed on them in their lifetime, upon this great pain, until the day of judgment...In those days, Sheol will return all the deposits which she has received and he shall choose the righteous and the holy ones from among the risen dead, for the day when they shall be selected and saved has arrived."

Matthew 19:28: "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you shall also sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

1 Enoch 62:5: "Pain shall seize them when they see that Son of Man sitting on the throne of his glory."

1 Enoch 69:27: "And he sat on the throne of his glory, and the sum of judgment was given to the Son of Man."

John 5:22: "For not even the Father judges anyone, but he has given all judgment to the Son."

1 Enoch 69:27: "And he sat on the throne of his glory, and the sum of judgment was given to the Son of Man."

Matthew 26:24: "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born."

1 Enoch 38:2: "Where will the dwelling of the sinners be, and where the resting place of those who denied the name of the Lord of the Spirits! It would have been better for them not to have been born."

Luke 16:9: "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the mammon of unrighteousness; that when it fails, they may receive you into the eternal dwellings."

Luke 12:19-20: "And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.' But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared.' So is the man who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

1 Enoch 63:10: "So we will vanish away from before his face on account of our deeds; and all our sins are consumed by righteousness. Furthermore, at that time, you shall say, 'Our souls are satiated with the money of unrighteousness which could not save us from being cast into the oppressive Sheol."

THE EPISTLE OF BARNABAS

Barnabas 4:3: "The last stumbling block is at hand, concerning which the Scriptures speak, as Enoch says: 'For the Master has cut short the times and the days for this reason, that his Beloved might make haste and come into his inheritance.' "

1 Enoch 80:2: "And in the days of the sinners, the years shall be shortened, and their seed shall be tardy on their lands and fields."

Ezekiel Pseudepigraphon (4Q385:3): "Let the days hasten on fast until all men will say, 'Indeed the days are hastening in order that the children of Israel may inherit.' And the Lord said to me, 'I will not refuse you Ezekiel, behold, I cut short the days and the years."

Barnabas 16:5: "Again, it was revealed that the city and the temple of the people of Israel were destined to be handed over. For the Scripture says: 'And it will happen in the last days that the Lord will hand over the sheep of the pasture and the sheepfold and their watchtower to destruction.' And it happened just as the Lord said."

1 Enoch 89:54-57: "Thereafter, I saw that, when they abanboned the house of the Lord and his tower, they went astray completely, and their eyes became blindfolded. Then I saw the Lord of the sheep, how he executed much slaughter upon them, in their flocks, until those sheep began to invoke that slaughter, and he vindicated his place. He left them in the hands of the lions, leopards, and wolves, hyenas, as well as in the hands of the foxes and to all the wild beasts; and these wild beasts of the wilderness began to tear these sheep into pieces. I saw how he left that house of theirs and that tower of theirs and cast all of them into the hands of the lions."

Barnabas 16:6: "For it is written: 'And it will come to pass that when the week comes to an end God's temple will be built gloriously in the name of the Lord."

1 Enoch 90:12-13: "Then after that there shall occur the second eighth week, the week of righteousness....At its completion, they shall acquire great things through their righteousness. A house shall be built for the Great King in glory for evermore."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit