Standing for the National Anthem?

by eyeslice2 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

We are currently living in a country where at the cinema the national anthem is played before the start of the movie and it is law that you stand. Does anyone know what current JW thinking is on this?

I know there has been various changes over the years. Can a witness now swear an oath of allegiance if they need to become a US citizen for example?

I think this matter of national respect versus nationalism versus worship of the state is just another area they have made a mess of.

• Simon
    Simon

If it's law, then any notion of "respect" is gone - you are forced to comply (presumably with some 'threat' or else what is the point of the law?)

I personally think it's respectful to stand when it's expected, regardless of the law. If people want to protest something, they should protest the actual thing itself.

• Vanderhoven7
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the most recent "School Brochure" (USA here) that I am aware of, and it's prob 20 years old, it states that if you are asked to stand and join in singing the National Anthem, a JW can stand -- out of respect -- but would not sing.

Personally, I now always stand -- out of respect -- just as every person of every nation does t the Olympics for the National Anthem of other countries. Clearly they are NOT showing any loyalty to other nations. Nor or they "praying" in behalf of other nations. They are merely showing respect. . . . Doc

• prologos
    prologos

The idea was that give honour to the one demanding honour. you always stayed a notch below the crowd, you can stand, but not raise your arm to Heil, or cover your heart, or sing. Too bad, there are some glorious anthems.

• smiddy
    smiddy

At the ARC into Child Sexual Abuse in Institutions in Australia G.Jackson the Australian Governing Body member took an oath swearing on the Bible to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.(hand on the Bible)

A couple of the Elders that gave testimony at the same ARC opted to take an Affirmation to tell the truth rather than taking an oath swearing on the Bible.

What does that tell us ? Do the GB members/Elders even know what their current policy is ?

When I was in over 25 years ago ,standing for the National Anthem was a strict no-no ,the same with taking an oath and swearing on the Bible a definite no-no .here in Australia.

So much for their claim of being a religion of unity amongst all members.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes, the old National Anthem conundrum yet again...

Witness freak out at the mere sound of those first few musical notes, and run to use the bathrooms or whatever if they are at an event where it is played.

Do they not know of the countries in south America where NATIONAL FLAGS ARE FLOWN on the KINGDOM HALLS each year????

Or that the society was a member of the United Nations??

Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I thought real true Wachtowerians in the first century didn't go to PAGAN theathres and arenas at all. They avoided being pressured into false worship of their nation.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Who cares what the WT thinks. They have no authority over the government. The rest is simple freedom of speech.Every American citizen has the right to express themselves. The WT wants everyone in their crop to express themselves only the way they do.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Years ago on U.K. the view promoted was that you did not stand for nation anthem was played UNLESS Queen was present, then as courtesy to her position

Probably different today but in 60s that was it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit