Had a good scriptural laugh

by seattleniceguy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

We all need a little help sometimes when it comes to getting by, and I've opened up my house a few times to people in need of a place to stay, for periods ranging from a day or two to a couple weeks. Last year, I put up one such individual, named Vincent. Vincent showed up at the KH one evening in March, looking a little rough, cleary not a Witness, but able to quote the New World Translation with an incredible accuracy. It turns out Vincent has what I might term a phonographic memory, in that he is able to remember and mimic things he hears with surprising precision. He had studied with Witnesses before and had been through some rough times, and now he was looking for a little help.

That evening, as was my custom, I was one of the last people to leave the Hall. I could see that no one had offered him any assistance, so I talked to him for a few minutes and made the judgement call to have him over. I'll admit the I was a bit worried going to sleep that night, but I really don't own anything very precious, and I thought I could take care of myself physically. Well, the next morning, I'm standing in my bathroom, brushing my teeth, when I gradually become aware that the sink is glisteningly clean. It turns out that Vincent had gotten up ahead of me and begun cleaning, trying to earn his keep.

Vincent was a star housemate. Very clean, very tidy. He was constantly looking for things to do around the house to show his gratefulness for the place to stay. He even painted my window frames, something that had been on my mind for months. He stayed for a couple weeks and the last I saw of him was when I put him on a bus for his hometown.

Imagine my surprise when Vincent showed up at my house last week! The particulars of why he is here in Seattle again are unimportant, but suffice it to say that he was in need of a place to stay again. This time, having no roommates, I had a whole room just going to waste, so it worked out well. Vincent has taken up his habit of cleaning again, unleashing his formidable dirt-busting skills on every nook and cranny of my house. The guy washed and detailed my car in below-freezing weather yesterday. There were literally frozen pools of water under the newly immaculate car. And I was delighted to find a stack of neatly folded laundry on my bed the other day.

So I'm sitting in my living room today, reading, and I hear Vincent in the kitchen, scrubbing away at something or another. I look up and call, "Geez, Vince, you don't stop, do you? I really appreciate all the help cleaning. You're doing a great job." To that, Vincent's face pops around the corner and says very seriously,

"Necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not clean."

I think that was one of the heartiest laughs I've had via scripture in some time.

SNG

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*psst, Vincent!* threee words: January, Texas, 78-degrees!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "Necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not clean."

ROFLMAO!!! (And you can tell him I said that!)

It looks like you found an amazing house-guest / room-mate.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ...

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Congratulations on taking the risk and getting a win-win. This is such a wonderful story! Thanks!

• gumby
    gumby

I was wondering if I could borrow Vincent for about a month or so? I have trees down, trees that need down, .....and basically lots of other stuff that need done. If he's truely one of those guys who will "work for food" , you've found a unique one.

Tell Vincent we said hi.

Sixer...*psst, Vincent!* threee words: January, Texas, 78-degrees

I counted 4 words ya lyin bastard!

Gumby

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

SNG: Cool story!

Six: Shaddup. We got out of the movie theater tonight at 5:30p and it was 0 degrees.

• acsot
    acsot
    unleashing his formidable dirt-busting skills on every nook and cranny of my house.

I could take him in anytime from May through September, it's grand up here at that time, and if he likes the autumn-colored leaves, he can stay through October.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You're a good man Seattle.

• patio34
    patio34

Golly, Vincent could probably travel around the country (no world!) and stay with all of us and do his cleaning thing!

It's only in the 60s here during the day in So. California--but nice.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit