Spirit sending pictures to earth from mars

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
  • shamus
    shamus

Those dammed Romulans!

• acsot
    acsot

SNG: thanks for that website. Did you watch Nova last night? What those scientists accomplished, and the tension they must have felt waiting for the signal from Mars - unbelievable! I hope they find something, anything, little bacteria or something, on Mars. How cool would that be?

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Here's a news flash U2K - God/dess CREATED science, God/dess CREATED evolution and God/dess CREATED human intelligence. Not to use what we have been given by our CREATOR is the greatest sin.

"Its better to be closed minded then to be open minded,

The second greatest sin is use 'then' when you mean to use 'than.'

Ignorance is bliss though - so enjoy.

Silverleaf

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey acsot,

No, I didn't catch the episode of Nova. Sounds like it was interesting. I had the same thought, regarding the cruel wait the engineers had to endure. And the really heart-breaking part for me would be that nothing was there to view the descent or to record it in any way! I mean, we presume that the parachute opened at the correct altitude, and that the radar acquired the surface and fired thrusters correctly, and that the airbags were deployed with minute precision. It's pretty safe to assume these things from the fact that it landed totally unscathed.

But doesn't it just seem a shame that no one could have seen it? How did it look streaking across the sky at thousands of miles per hour? What was it like when it first hit the ground? How far did it bounce before coming to a stop? To have imagined it all play out for months or years, and never to actually see it - it's almost painful. Such is the agony of a JPL engineer, I suppose.

SNG

• acsot
    acsot

SNG: Nova is having an update tonight with pictures taken from the Rover. From what I've seen of the Mars landscape, isn't it highly probable that there was water on the surface? What else could have formed those indentations which look like riverbeds? What a high for those scientists!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

it's a shame the beagle2 hasn't contacted yet although when the mothership goes into orbit it may well be found. It amazes me that they spend hundreds of millions getting stuff up there and then 'hope' that it won't hit a big rock when it lands!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I can't wait to see what results it sends back, regardless of what they are.
    This is a great further addition to the catalogue of human knowledge.

I enjoyed being able to clearly identify Mars with the naked eye, last year, too.

Silver leaf:

Its better to be closed minded then to be open minded

He had it right the first time. Better that way around than the other

Shamus:
    I understand why guys like this would tire you of the whole subject matter (e.g. on other thread).
    I still don't agree with spamming threads with nonesense, but I do understand the emotion.
    Gawd, some people are thick!

U2K:The bible is silent on the subject that you raise.
    Maybe you should search it, for a quotation that actually refutes life on other planets.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    There is no life on other planets.

U2K: Be careful... saying things such as that as a blatant fact makes your belief structure very fragile. What would happen if life were discovered? Would your faith crumble?

What you say is reminiscent of people in the past who believed that the Bible clearly showed the earth was stationary or flat. You don't believe those things still, do you? The truth is the Bible doesn't say anything about other planets let alone life on other planets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit