Outraged After Watching The May 2017 Broadcast

by pale.emperor 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Ok, so i've just put myself through another months broadcast so i can see what bull they're feeding my still in relatives. All was going fine... well, i say fine, i mean the usual cheesy videos, rehearsed reactions from Jeffrey Jackson (you remember him, the one who told half truths and lies at the Royal Commission) and propaganda from JW land.

The last feature brings up 9/11 and the Paris 2015 attack at the Bataclan. Just as im thinking "how are they gonna spin this in their direction" i hear these words:

"It was around 10pm that i heard the new. A newsflash announced that there was an attack... and then i immediately thought of our brothers and sisters".

Just some background info, at the Bataclan terrorist attack 90 people were slaughtered by terrorists. This guy doesn't think of them, doesn't think of them as individual human beings, somebodies mother/father/child... no, this **** thinks of "the brothers and sisters".

It gets worse... "...we set up a committee the next day to assist the brothers and sisters who were affected by this event". Now don't get me wrong. That's a very nice and decent think to do, but why just "the brothers and sisters?" Why not everybody? Wouldn't it have been a great witness to see the WT org helping everybody rather than just their own? The man on the video re-enactment even consults his bible first. WHY?!! Doesn't common sense prevail when 90 people have been killed? A 2000 year old book doesn't need to be consulted. You help all where you can.

And what was the help they gave? What help could a multi-billion dollar organization made up of free labor possibly offer? Shepherding.

Yes, that's right. No blankets, no food being distributed, no therapy paid for. Just two unqualified elders turning up at your home pulling scriptures out their ass with a JW spin on it.

It's highlighed that at 9/11 14 JW's had died. That's a horrible, horrible tragedy. It really is. But why differentiate? Imagine someone saying "14 white people had died" or "14 left handed people had died"... what would you think?

It really annoys me when Watchtower does this. It sets up a "us and them" mentality. That the only people that really matter are the JW lives.

Right. Rant over.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

The phrase "religious bigotry" comes to mind

:0)

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

pale.emperor

I share your outrage. I was given a lift to the meeting by an elder and his wife and I commented on how awful the terrorist attack was in Paris and the elders wife said 'yes, but no brothers or sisters were involved.' I replied that what about those poor people gunned down but they weren't bothered. As long as no brothers were hurt the rest were just wicked worldly people as far as they were concerned.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm just thankful that the Borg are such awful people that they only care about their own. Imagine if they actually cared about people, if they used their resources to help people other than their own (if you love only those that are your brothers and sisters, of what advantage is it to you, to paraphrase), then they might convert more people. Thankfully they're such narcissists that they really only care about their own. That's it. So instead of doing good deeds and attracting people with love and empathy, they put off other people by being so absorbed in themselves.

• Etude
    Etude

Yes, I'm outraged but not surprised. As a whole, Witlesses can be down-right callused and judgemental. I was guilty of that as well on a couple of ocassions. I guess it's that feeling of superiority for being on "the right side" and surety of survival that makes them smug.

Etude.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I am sure the "brothers" offered fine counsel to them who might have seen a dead body or suchlike. It can be quite traumatizing to see photo's of the dead and dying. I hope the brothers can recall the Watchtower's counsel about how we should "not feel pity as they are being slaughtered to our right and to our left".

I am confident our brothers will be able to get past their trauma.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Of course as soon as they learned that the band...... Eagles of Death Metal were giving the concert that came under attack they all breathed a sigh of relief cause they knew that no proper JW would be attending THAT kind of concert!

And no room for concern about just plain people.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Years ago, some JW friends were mushroom hunting when the meeting was, as usual, scheduled. They made some poor choices with the fungi and got deathly ill. Don't know when they actually ate them, but they did miss the meeting.

You can guess what they were told: "If you had been at the meeting . . .

• Landy
    Landy
    Ok, so i've just put myself through another months broadcast so i can see what bull they're feeding my still in relatives.

Why? Set yourself a challenge to not do that next month. The sooner it becomes irrelevant to you the better.

• steve2
    steve2

It's highlighed that at 9/11 14 JW's had died. That's a horrible, horrible tragedy. It really is. But why differentiate? Imagine someone saying "14 white people had died" or "14 left handed people had died"... what would you think?

Well expressed pale.emperor! It's so selfishly member-centric: if they're not JWs, they not worth mentioning - this narrow member-centrism is evident wherever you find JWs. Brings to mind Luke 6:32 (NIV): "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them."

JWs either don't know or care how this narrow focus on their own 'brothers and sisters appears to others. Untold numbers of non-JWs may suffer and/or perish in terrorism or natural disasters - but they are nameless and without any meaningful mention, whereas every single JW gets counted and treated as special. Sickening but so very JW-ish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit