Fibbing about your time

by SC_Guy 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

I'd never thought about this... but last night my father asked for my time. And I told him I didn't have any. He didn't seem to mind so he went ahead long his way.

Later on that evening, he left his computer on with his Outlook express e-mail client on the screen... and believe it or not, he was e-mailing our family's time in. Guess what? My dad listed me for 3 hours. Hmm.. he also listed put down 7 hours in his time slot along with a family study report. Few things... my dad has not gone out in service in Dec nor have we had a family study (barf) in 4 or so years. I asked him about it, why did he do it.. ect. He said that he accoplishes his misistry through his Good conduct... and the family study because he makes sure we study (on our own) for the bookstudy and WT... :p Yeah. (I just underline things in a paragraph.. takes me only like 5 minutes) He said he'd help me make the time up next month and it's okay to put down hours that you didn't have.

I beg the question... did anyone else count time for "Good Conduct" or family studies when you tell your kids to study? :D Or, did you ever add hours you never got? :P

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Oh yeah, when I didn't do anything, I'd write down "1 hour" ...

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• Special K
    Special K

Hmm...interesting..

I think you caught him.. and then your dad had to make things right in his own mind....Once he justified himself in his own mind he made it appear to you that this was all right and just...

I have heard of people lieing about time .... but never ever heard this "line of reasoning."... I'm modeling time?

I guess when they publish the hours of field service by a congregation it is probably mostly..."creative ..mind .. hours"...

...BUT... really.. What did you think of his reasoning on this?

sincerely confused by his way of justifying "time not put in"....as time.

Special K

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

"...BUT... really.. What did you think of his reasoning on this?
    What did I think? Well, I don't know. I think it's dishonest... but my parents are my parents... my mother gave me a down-the-road on how I should not be questioning my father's time... it's not my place she said. (and it's probably not) When I told my pioneer sister, she said: "Well, if that's the case... I'm going to go ahead and report 160 hours a month!" lol.

• Special K
    Special K

Your sisters response is interesting..

That is how I would feel too..

and then would your dad have a right to question her time.. NOT!!!..

Is reporting 3 hrs a little lie.. and 160 hrs a bigger lie... or maybe she could say she puts in

"modelling time 3 hours.. and dreamed time 157"..

It's very hard to question parents sometimes.. I could never question my parents when I was young either.

I'm sure your Dad feels the pressure of the Watch Tower Society on his back.. ALL THE TIME...

You never can do enough for this religion, you just can't ever measure up or be perfect enough.

It's really hard on parents "to be all that you can be.. AND MORE"..

sincerely

Special K

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I just reported my November and December time -- I put down 4 hours each month and 2 return visits --not been out at all -- but I have been putting my time in on this board -- so I thought it fair. It all helps make the false WTBTS even more false so I think I am doing a good service -- I have no problem, at all and a clean conscience about putting this false time in -- after all the WTBTS do not mind telling a few lies -- Theocratic Warfare strategy is what I call it!!

• shamus
    shamus

Hello SC,

Welcome to the board!

I was very honest about my time, but I never felt 100 percent good about it. There was so much screwing around in service, going on calls half way around the globe, just so we could count time, etc. etc. etc...

Your father lied. There is no two ways around it. But, can you blame him?

He is brainwashed, so to speak. How can he really live up to standards that are made by men, not by god? I am sure that he has lots of stress in his life, and needs just a little less, LOL!

Just keep the nice questions coming. When you make your own break for Christian Freedom, you will have plenty of ammo to jolt them awake.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

When I pioneered I usually had 15-30 minutes a day of "leakage". Rounding out the time in my favor. I guess the society if going to have to come out with a rulebook/kaballah detailing exactly how to count time.

• Special K
    Special K

leakage....!!!!!!

Never heard of it called that before

as I'm rolling on the floor laughing. hahahaha

Maybe they need to add another columun on the "J.W. time report paper"..

A whole new column called "LEAKAGE"..

That's SOOO funny.

special K

• alias
    alias

I never fudged on my time reports. I even went without reporting time many months because all I had was 15 or 30 minutes and didn't feel it was honest to round up or make up the time "next month." Such a shame the 15-minute arrangement didn't exist then.

I hated getting "the call" at the end of the month too, and feel like I had to confess my spritual deficiency to the brother who did the time reports. What a humiliation.

Honestly, I despise the whole aspect of keeping count of hours, placements, rvs, and the like. I find it contrary to the whole point of being a Christian (if that's what you want to be) and an abusive form of control that makes many people feel guilty and others self-righteous.

And drives some to be dishonest. Sigh.

How many JWs would gladly visit or spend time with "weak" ones or inactive family members if they could only count the time on a pathetic slip of paper. Or better yet, not have to count time at all and be rewarded by their heartfelt motivation instead of keeping up with the national average.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit