Something good about the Witnesses

by TD 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Their 2004 calendar is very nice -- a huge improvement over the shmaltzy 2003 version.

I actually asked my JW wife to get me one.

Tom

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Amazing I tought I'd never see the day that would happen ...

Oh ... I guess I didn't, cuz I am DF

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• Special K
    Special K

But how will you know what day Christmas is on? New Years? Easter? Thanksgiving?.....

special k

• blondie
    blondie

Describe the calendar to us. I lost interest when then went to staged photos. I actually enjoyed the paintings of scenes from the Bible. The originals are hung on the walls all over Bethel.

Blondie (who remembers when the calendars were larger)

• minimus
    minimus

I always HATED Witness calenders. They are useless. I remember how people used to get SO excited over getting their new calendar.They'd wait in lines at the literature counter with huge smiles on their faces. And they'd be thrilled to get the yearbooks too!

• JH
    JH

I didn't see it, so I can't comment on it.

I never did like their calendars before. I always put another one up on my wall instead.

• blondie
    blondie

I only liked the pictures. I gave them to a woman I worked with who matted and framed them. I have the Canadian Rockies on my calendar at work and lighthouses at home, Montauk-LI, NY this month. No preprogrammed assignment of Bible reading (we must have unity) or magazine day plastered on my Saturdays.

But the YBs are self-serving WTS crap. They always rewrite history.

Blondie (who can be caustic too) Had your yet, min?

• Undecided
    Undecided

I had completely forgot about their calendars. Now that it's been mentioned I can remember those things when I was young.

Ken P.

• minimus
    minimus

Hi Blondie, I haven't had my coffee yet and I like it that way, so far. No JW apologist better give me any crap today!

• TD
    TD

Blondie,

Describe the calendar to us. I lost interest when then went to staged photos. I actually enjoyed the paintings of scenes from the Bible. The originals are hung on the walls all over Bethel.

---There are exceptional landscape photographs above each pair of months. Jan-Feb is a forest in Normandy, March-April is Mount Fuji, May-June is the Tone River in Japan and so on. Very pleasant if you like that sort of thing. Below, on the calendar proper are smaller landscape and animal photographs.

The large photographs bear scriptural captions, but these are pretty much doctrinally neutral. By this I mean the applicability of the verses is to the act of creation itself and not some future JW paradise that will be paved with the bones and carcasses of the likes of you and me. I've found that implication in Witness literature to be extremely offensive at times. The September-October picture for example is a view of a seashore somewhere in Africa. The caption simply reads, "God began calling the dry land Earth, but the bringing together of the waters he called Seas. Further, God saw that it was good." ---Something that could have been produced by almost any Christian group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit