I'm going to be a father!

by dedalus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

Thanks for your remarks, everyone! Foxy and I had a few good chuckles reading them over.

REM -- Nicole and I were talking this morning about how this is going to change our road trip for next summer ... we're toying now with the idea of a simpler vacation that will take us directly to your part of the country, so we can visit you finally. Meanwhile, I'm going to have one of my computer-savvy friends make me a webpage on which I can post photos and such (I've enjoyed looking at yours). As soon as it's up I'll send you the address, along with a more detailed account of all these recent developments (sorry I've been such a stranger -- I never visit Amazon w/out peeking at your wish list).

Slayerlayer --

Your fiance!? You aren't married? Have you spoken to the elders about this yet?

Oh, we plan to humbly submit to the elder arrangement ASAP, lay bare our guilt, and ask them to pray for us. We will gratefully accept the soothing reproof that runneth like fine oil over our hair or something like that. He he. Seriously, we're not too concerned. Foxy's parents, who are Witnesses (though somewhat inactive) are thrilled, and don't mind that we're not married yet. And two of my JW brothers are also excited and understanding. The other brother, however, has heard the news, disapproves, and won't talk to me, which is actually nothing new. It's a bummer, though, because my brother's wife is also pregnant, with approximately the same due date. This would be really cool if stupid JW cult mentalities weren't screwing it up.

Joelbear -- you crack me up!

Duncan -- great to hear from you! I think it's so cool that you left the Witnesses because you were about to have kids, probably because my parents joined the Witnesses for the same reason -- they were about to have children, and were worried about how to raise them. They were ripe for conversion: ten years younger than I am now, socially alone, spiritually lost, and morally well-intentioned. Perhaps if they had had the internet back then, they would have learned about the seedy underbelly of the pristine JW veneer.

Esmerelda -- probably you'll be getting frantic e-mails as I struggle to understand what's happening with Foxy ... what are cyber-sisters for, if not to explain these things to their befuddled cyber-brothers? You'll definitely be getting some photos in the mail.

To the rest of you -- thanks! I'll probably post later to tell how it went telling my dad. I'm sort of hoping, like REM suggested, that it might actually help us, that the thrill of become a grandfather will be more important than "theocratic instruction" he's supposed to follow.

Dedalus

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Daddy Dedalus,

Hey, PaPa to be, I thought for sure that they taught their students all about contraceptives in College. Truly, I really thought that was all part of the Great And Wonderful Higher Education (GAW-HE). Is that a class that you slept through?

Seriously and sincerely, I say congratulations for your expectations. There's nothing more exciting and wonderful than the miracle of another little one coming into existence. May you and your wife be the best of parents, and give your offspring EVERYTHING that they need in life. Of course, from what I have come to know about your beliefs (or should I say lack of beliefs), you're faced with quite a challenge in my opinion. You should understand that I mean well by that. Who really knows for sure at this point and time what your thoughts will be by the time you've been a father for 20 years, and then a grandfather ... some people do make surprising adjustments in areas where they never dreamt was possible.

There has been a time or two that I've contemplated the idea of just WHEN a person should technically be viewed as "married", that is, to have taken a wife. I really don't think that a formal ceremony in itself (other than provide an occasion to rejoice, of course) accomplishes little more other than make it legal and binding according to man's laws, which is important for various reasons. If you love the woman and she loves her man (a lifelong commitment type of love), and therefore the relationship is not based purely on sexual attraction, and you both can afford the responsibilities (which you say you can) that sleeping together might very well conjure up ... I, personally, would pronounce you man and wife and would not think of you as having committed fornication.

Well as you and others can see, I'm not quite as polished as probably you would be in putting my thoughts across. But I suppose that not very much additional shine is required for a person to simply say,

CONGRATULATIONS AND A SUCCESSFUL PARENTHOOD!

Yadirf

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Dedalus and Foxy,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am thrilled for you. Hope everything goes well and you get what you wish for!! Too cool!!
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit