How Much for Vol.7 of "Studies in the Scri...

by Prisca 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

An amazing thing happened to me today.

I was in a neighbouring suburb, and wandered into a nondescript second-hand bookshop. I asked where the religious books were, and the elderly shop-keeper pointed to the single shelf, stacked full with books.

Amongst them was a faded red book entitled, "Studies in the Scriptures Series 7 - The Finished Mystery".

I could not believe my luck. Here was a rare book, sitting innocently amongst books far younger than their companion.

I gingerly opened it up and browsed its contents. Yep, it was the real thing. But how much was it going to be?

I checked the price - $AUD3.80 - approx $US1.90

Is this a bargain? For those who have bought this book, either through second-hand bookshops, Ebay or the like, how much did you have to pay for this book?

Any comments?

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

Prisca,

You've found a Doozy!

Here, use this as a gauge for the worth of your book:

* http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1434515869

This copy of #7 up for bid on eBay has serious problems, so bookmark
    this and wait and see what the final High Bid price brings.

I've seen copies of #7 "The Finished Mystery" go for around $200 on eBay auction, of course they were in 'Fine' or better condition.

Heyyy, I'll buy your book from you.
    Heck, I'll even DOUBLE the price you paid for it.
    Whaddaya say, is it a deal?

(edited to make the link 'hot')

• freddi
    freddi

prisca,
    you go girl!!!! that is such a hard book to get. i have only heard about that book and i was told that it is not published anymore. a friend of mine claimed to have the book but she did not allow anyone to even touch it. she would show it to us from afar sitting in her bookcase.
    peace

• Uncanny
    Uncanny

Hello Prisca,

After making such a startlingly rare find, why would you want somebody else to own this unique piece of theocratic WT history - so much a part of your/my history - for a couple a hundred bucks?

Why sell it? Why not keep it yourself to enjoy and share with friends.
    Just my thoughts, or maybe I'm just too much of a sentimental bloke. Hey, I know you're not really in Vatican City, just like Mommy doesn't live in Jamaica. You are an Aussie girl - a very pretty one, too, if that's really your photo - so maybe you're not old enough to remember a 1970's Doug Ashdown song called 'Leave Love Enough Alone', later retitled as 'Winter In America' in hopeful anticipation of making more sales via anticipated US airplay. (See the corelation yet?)

The lines was: 'It's funny how you don't know what you've got
    until it's gone.'

Uncanny
    Think-About-The-Future Class.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I don't know how rare that book is, since it seems everyone I know has one. I sold ours on eBay a few months back for about $80. It wasn't in great shape either. What I don't understand is why on earth you would want to have it in your library? We got rid of everything, except a few books that actually have some reference value for now.

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    What I don't understand is why on earth you would want to have it in your library? We got rid of everything,[...]

Prisca, that's right!
    Listen to Mulan.
    I'll get rid of that mean ol' book for you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My stepfather gave us some REALLY rare, old CT Russell books, that I am not selling, because I know they have sentimental value, since he gave them to us. We have the original leather bound Studies in the Scriptures and Photo Drama of Creation. All very valuable monetarily. It's the Volume 7 that mystifies me, as to why people think it's such a neat book. As I said I know about a dozen people who have one, or more on their shelves.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Volume 7 is valuable because it shows the lunatic mindset of the Rutherford group that took over the WTS after Russell's death. Of course, this lunacy spawned the lunatics that run today's WTS.

AlanF

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

AlanF,

Speaking about lonatics; when was the last time you check out your goofball kit?

• AlanF
    AlanF

: when was the last time you check out your goofball kit?

I do every time I read one of your posts, Fridolin.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit