Curiousity about current JW Views on going into churches

by Brymichmom 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is the full article that was quoted by Euphemism in his post ( I hope he won't mind)

w70 3/15 pp. 191-192 Questions from Readers ***

?

May dedicated Christians attend church funerals of other religious organizations??C. S., U.S.A.

Some Christians may feel obligated to attend a church funeral because of a debt of gratitude, because a close relative is involved or due to pressures from an unbelieving mate. But before doing so each one should consider the various factors involved and the possible alternatives. While doing so is not forbidden by the Christian congregation, such a course is certainly fraught with dangers and problems.

First of all, it is well to remember that a church funeral is not held primarily to afford friends an opportunity to console the bereaved family. Usually that is done in the funeral parlor beforehand or by visiting the family in their home. The church funeral is really a religious service. It therefore is likely to involve a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas as the immortality of the soul and that all good people go to heaven. It may also involve unscriptural practices such as making the sign of the cross and most likely the joining in united prayer with a priest or minister of another religion. Of course, a Christian could not take part in such, in view of the command at Revelation 18:4.

In this regard Japanese funerals represent a real test for dedicated Christian wives with unbelieving husbands. If they attend the funeral, their name is called out and they are expected to go up and offer incense and a prayer to the dead. So, many of such Japanese Christians have decided that it is better not to attend these funerals.

Some dedicated Christians have attended church funerals because they wanted to stay close to the immediate family and support them. So they went to the funeral parlor, to the church funeral and then even to the grave. They might have been able to do all that without personally committing any false religious act. There are, of course, spiritual hazards in going to any place of false worship.

True, a Christian wife whose husband is an unbeliever and who wants her to attend a church funeral might look to the example of Naaman. He was the Syrian general who was cured of leprosy by bathing himself seven times in the Jordan River at the command of the prophet Elisha. Because of this miraculous cure Naaman was determined never to worship any other god than Jehovah. But that would be a hard thing for him to do because he was still in the service of his king. He helped the king get around and so would have to go with him into the house of the pagan god Rimmon. He might even have to help the king bow down. So he asked that Jehovah God forgive him and not hold this against him. Naaman, who had become a true worshiper of Jehovah, was not himself worshiping this false god; he was only there under orders.?2 Ki. 5:1-19.

And so with the Christian wife who has an unbelieving husband. If her husband insisted that on a certain occasion she go with him to a church funeral of a relative or family friend she might feel that she could act in a way similar to that in which Naaman did?be present on that occasion but not share in any acts of false religion. But whether she went would be up to her to decide. She would have to resolve the conflict between respect for her husband?s wishes and obedience to Jehovah and the dictates of her conscience, trained by God?s Word.?1 Pet. 3:16.

Yes, her conscience would be involved. Why? Because others might see her, one of Jehovah?s witnesses, entering the church, and they might be stumbled. She would therefore have to consider that possibility. As the apostle Paul wrote: "Make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."?Phil. 1:10.

Better it would be if such a wife tried to explain her position to her husband. She would do well to pick a time when he was relaxed and in a good frame of mind, taking a lesson from Queen Esther, and then tactfully try to explain why she felt she could not attend such a church funeral. Among other things, she could point out that if she attended and did not take part in the ritual it might be very embarrassing to others, and especially to her husband. So an unbelieving husband might agree, out of love for his wife, respect for her religious scruples and a desire to avoid embarrassment.?Esther 5:1-8.

But might one offend the bereaved family by not attending? Only if one ignored the death entirely. One would not need to do that. A person could do things to show that he was sympathetic and interested in helping. He could go to the funeral parlor beforehand, express condolences to the family and offer practical help. A person could bring over food if need be, or cook a meal there for the family, or watch the children, relieving the adults of that responsibility temporarily. Then the family would not think that the person was unloving just because he did not attend the church funeral.

Thus there is no need for a Christian to feel obligated to go to a church funeral of another religious organization, where there may be the temptation to give in to pressure and follow the crowd when everyone else is performing some false religious act. Thus also the danger of performing an act of apostasy and displeasing Jehovah God can be avoided. But each one must decide for oneself on the basis of circumstances and one?s own conscience.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................

It may be seen thererefore that the watctower stopped short of an outright ban, but did their best to discourage attendance

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Bingo! That's exactly what I was looking for, Bluesbrother. Thank you so much. They sort of say that you can, but they make it sound so darn DANGEROUS because you might commit a forbidden type of act. (Give me a break!)

I knew that there was a reason for my family's behavior, I knew that it had said somewhere that they should not enter a church for these types of things. My family became JW's around 1970, but I have never heard while I was growing up that it was a matter of "conscience". My mother always told me that I would be DF'd if I went into a church when I was a teen first coming into the WT.

My family will go into the funeral home, but they absolutely under no circumstances will enter a church for the funeral.

• Enishi
    Enishi

I don't know about other congregations, but in mine people generally don't worry about whether or not someone goes to a wedding or funeral in another church. Once, in idle conversation I mentioned to an elder that I had gone to my uncle's wedding. He looked like he didn't agree with my actions, but didn't say anything.

• shadow
    shadow

*** w74 12/15 pp. 766-767 Questions from Readers ***

Questions

from Readers

?

What is the view of Jehovah?s witnesses toward attending the wedding of a worldly acquaintance or relative?

In the case of minors who contemplate attending, the final decision rests with the parents. Otherwise it is a matter for personal decision, with each Christian being willing to bear his own responsibility. However, there are Scriptural principles and a wide variety of circumstances that should be considered.

The wedding ceremony may be conducted in a religious building and by a clergyman. This would make it quite different from a purely civil ceremony. A true Christian could not conscientiously join or participate in any prayers or religious exercises that he knew to be contrary to Bible teaching. Nor is he interested to see how close he can come to apostate acts without overstepping the line. He is under obligation to heed the Scriptural command: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? . . . Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? . . . ?Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,? says Jehovah, ?and quit touching the unclean thing.?"?2 Cor. 6:14-17.

Understandably, one invited to attend a wedding of worldly relatives and acquaintances may at times be faced with quite a problem. For example, the invitation may have been extended to a Christian wife and her unbelieving husband. He may think that both of them should be present for the wedding. Yet she may be troubled about it. She may reason that, if she were to attend a church wedding, the emotional pressure of the circumstances could cause her to do something wrong. On the other hand, she might conclude that, out of regard for her husband?s wishes, she could go with him merely as a respectful observer, but being determined not to share in any religious acts.

Regardless of how a wife might view the matter, it would be to her advantage to explain her position to her husband. If, on the basis of her explanation, he comes to the conclusion that his wife?s presence may possibly give rise to a situation unpleasant to him, he may prefer to go alone. Or, he may still want her to go with him, but as a quiet observer, in which case she will have to decide whether to go.

Something that deserves consideration is the effect that attending a wedding in a religious building might have on fellow believers. Could it injure the conscience of some? Might their resistance to engaging in actual idolatrous acts be weakened by this action of yours? A Bible principle that comes into the picture is: "Make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."?Phil. 1:10; see also 1 Corinthians 8:9-13.

At times an invitation to a wedding may include being actively involved as a member of the bridal party. What if this required participation in certain religious acts? Manifestly one desiring to be pleasing to God could not share in acts of false religion; the person must act in harmony with his Word. But a Christian could explain just how he feels and point out that in no way does he want to mar the joy of the wedding day by being responsible for what might prove to be an embarrassing situation.

In matters of this nature, Christians must carefully weigh all the factors involved. Under certain circumstances they may conclude that no difficulties would arise if they were to attend as quiet observers. On the other hand, the circumstances may be such that a Christian may reason that likely injury to his conscience or that of others by attending such worldly wedding outweighs the possible benefits of attending. Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that his decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Thanks Shadow! I can see how the WT puts it in just such a way that the average JW should not go into a church for a wedding. It makes it sound like your conscience SHOULD tell you not to go into that nasty church! It also sounds like the only one who might be able to get away with it would be the "sister married to an unbelieving husband". This article literally tells the JW how they SHOULD feel about going inside a church.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

There was a more current article in the last couple years as well but it's not on the CD. However the position remains the same. It's a conscience matter but slanted in such a way that your conscience should tell you not to go.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Out of deference to my JW mother, I had a Justice of the Peace preside over my wedding ceremony six years ago so that she could be there. Let me tell you, I wouldn't do that now, at all.

CG

• Mystery
    Mystery

My dad was an elder - he would not go into a church and made us believe (at a young age) that if we did we would pretty much be "struck down" by Jah.

Then, suddenly, his brother was getting married and he told us that we could go to the wedding. Myself and my brother and sister were thrilled! We walked up to this HUGE, BEAUTIFUL building and went inside. People were everywhere! My uncle was standing at the front of this room surrounded by candles and flowers and his friends were standing with him. I was absolutely fascinated! (He was only 2 years older than me) It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. There weren?t any chairs in the room, just these long benches. Dad let us set down but he stood in the back against the wall. The organ music was astounding. A few minutes later the bride stepped into the room. She was absolutely beautiful!

This was the type of wedding that I wanted!

As she walked toward my uncle, everyone stood, she reached him, and everyone sat. Throughout the ceremony everyone kept sitting and standing, sitting and standing. I was really confused at this point. I whispered to my mom and ask ?why is everyone standing and sitting, standing and sitting?? My mom answered ?don?t do it, it is the devil that is making them do it.? I was so upset. If we were in a place where the Devil could make people do this, (and smile while they were doing it!) why were we here!!? It was the first ?church? I had ever been in. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Everyone was so happy. But how could they be? they would DIE at Armageddon! How could my parents bring me here!? My dad, in the past, would not go to funerals because they were in a church; but now for a wedding he would? He would let the demons and the Devil get me just because his brother was getting married. (How total ignorant I was!!)

Another time that we went into a church is when we went to Mexico. My dad loved going to Mexico (we always went during Christmas break). We went to this really small village. There were small shacks everywhere. In the middle of this village was this huge white church. We went inside and there were candles everywhere and a coffin. I went over to the coffin and there was a man in a white robe. I was told that he represented Jesus; but that all these people were wrong, that he wasn?t Jesus. I guess this increased my doubt of JW?s having the true religion. These people, as poor as they were, would bring candles and pray with more conviction than I had ever seen in my entire life. If these people, who were less fortunate than my family, could still have such belief, how could they be wrong?

But one of the most puzzling things that happened, happened the following day. We had this guy ?show us around? the remainder of the village. He was telling us the history etc? he mentioned that there were Satanic worshippers in the village. My dad wanted to know more about them. The more the guy talked of them, the more my dad was interested. He told us that he could take us to where they worshipped; my dad told him to take us. He said that it would be a long walk and it was not easy to get there. My dad paid him extra. So we went; we walked, we climbed this ?mountain? so that we would be able to see where the Satanic worshipers held their ceremonies. My dad had asthma, really bad at times. The more we climbed, the worse his asthma became. My mom, sister and brother stopped about ½ way up. The guide, my dad and me kept going. We reached the top of the ?mountain? and there was a circle of stones and several small stone ?alters?. When ask about the bones and ashes the guide told us that they basically sacrificed small animals, not anything more. My dad was fascinated by the site. I was completely taken back. Not only had my elder father stepped into a church that had ?Jesus? body!? but he was also in a Satanic ?church?!

After that my doubts became more and more obvious.

• JohnR
    JohnR

My Grandmother had died and we were wondering if my brother and his family, who had recently turned JW, would be attending. To our surprise they did come to the wake and the funeral. My brother told me that he had checked with an elder who said as long as they don't participate it should be alright. As he told me this I was thinking you had to ask permission to go to a relatives funeral! And he did not think that was odd. What was even better was when we started praying at the funeral home I had my niece on my lap and the rest of his family just sat there doing nothing.

Our father died about 5 years ago and they did attend that funeral also. He even let my two nephews be pallbearers and accompany the coffin in to the Catholic church. His family sat there through the entire mass and did nothing else but sit and stand. At the wake the night before the funeral home and viewing room were packed with people. I did not realize how many were JW's until the priest started prayers and about half the people left the room to continue their conversations. They were very loud and my mother was not very happy with them.

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

Just some anecdotes..

My wife was raised a JW, but never baptized. She regularly attends meetings though. Our wedding was held at my parents house. Her parents did not come to our wedding, though one of her JW brothers (literal) and his wife did. One of the 'brothers' from their congregation came a day early to drop off a gift, but said they could not attend the wedding due to their beliefs.

While we were dating, she would attend Christmas mass (catholic) with my family. She would sit and stand, but nothing else. Oh, she never said any of the prayers at our wedding (I just remembered!). It was fairly 'generic' ceremony performed by the Episcopal minster father of a friend of mine.

Lastly, an acquaintance (the mother of a kid that plays violin where my kids do) asked her to visit her Baptist church one Sunday. She went, and the acquaintance in return attended a KH meeting. When a 'sister' friend of my wife found out that my wife had gone to a Baptist church, she told the elders at the congregation. Because my wife isn't baptized, the elders said they couldn't say anything to her. My daughter (11 yo) thought the whole thing to be ridiculous. Now my wife even denies it took place!

I really dispise these folks, the backstabbing and intellectual dishonesty they foster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit