What Depresses You About Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• toreador
    toreador

Very touching story Dave! We are in a similar situation. If the WTS actually had the truth it would make a little bit more sense. Since the JW's actually believe they have the truth do we let them off the hook? If not, we try to do what we can to show people the truth about the truth. Sadly, this is often next to impossible with the amount of mind control they use.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Dave,

What a sad story. It breaks my heart into 100 pieces, and it didn't even happen to me. I'm so sorry that this horrible cult stole your best friend in all the world away from you.

Ba$tards.

growedup

• razorMind
    razorMind
    .....utterly broken hearted and shattered (esp my parents) because they believe I'm going to die. I ache for them because it's all so senseless.

My parents believe this, too.....

It's really depressing to see how this worries them, how my dad sometimes paces the floor at night worrying about me and my DF'd sister and our fate at Armageddon. It's totally wrecking their nerves, especially the fate of my little deceased nephew.

It's depressing to see how my mom is headed (no, barreling) towards a total nervous breakdown; depressing to see how broken-down and worn-out she is under the iron-clad control of my father--who criticizes, belittles and puts her down at every turn--and the WT. I think the above paragraph, and other factors with the WT, is part of what makes my father treat my mother this way. They did not always used to be like this. My mother is a mere shell of her former self--in personality, in appearance, in hygiene.

It's depressing to see how the doomsday mentality is working on her; my youngest sister said she almost had a nervous breakdown on Sept 11. Curled up in a fetal position, moaning. She also had a fender-bender that very nearly sent her off as well. I have NEVER known my mother to behave this way.

It's depressing to see all the wasted talent. So much wasted talent and wasted God-given mental gifts I have seen in the congregations and in my own extended family.

I think the most depressing thing to me, is the state of my youngest sister and her husband. Oodles of utterly wasted talent. Got married WAY too young. My brother-in-law is gay but cannot be "out" with such and remain a JW. He is completely under the control of his vicious, manipulative mother. My youngest sister is in a perpetual state of confusion and bafflement--and completely under the control of my fiercely manipulative parents, who are determined not to "lose" their last child to the "world"--and have used inhuman means to make sure of this.

As a young couple, they absolutely cannot make normal life decisions for themselves. It's just so sad to see how neither of them have any hope in their lives. It's evident in their very carriage--and it's so damn depressing. And they are both so young. I fear for my youngest sis's safety; she has had severe bouts of depression that she is only half-treating (partly from my insistence that she get help, partly from fear of my parents and the WT's stance of mental treatment) and has talked of suicide several times. Her husband is helpless--neither mature enough nor brave enough to take a stand on anything.

They are both financially very badly off, very lonely, with no friends to spend leisure time with. It's depressing to see them take tentative steps towards wanting to socialize with me (after all I was never baptized and never disassociated)--but inching back because of fear of the parents and the WT.

If there is anything about the JW's that totally depresses me--that'd keep me up at night-- it would be her situation. I'm now trying to make an effort not to do this anymore--like someone said, they cannot see that there are any problems. I can only help but so much.

• bisous
    bisous

The insidious, long-lasting impact of the twisted teachings of the cult. How, even after numerous years of escape, the religion can maintain its hold on people because of the way the mind control shapes you.

Also, the horrific manipulation of families, turning mother against daughter, father against son, sibling against sibling, friend against friend.

Most imperfect parents would never dream of harming a child in this manner. The way this religion brainwashes members into believing their "holy father, Jehovah" would will this upon his children is sickeningly depressing.

God, I can't believe I (we) bought it....hook, line, and sinker.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

It depresses me to know that Millions Now Living still have their head up their a$$es. It depresses me even more that for a very long time, I was one of them.

CountryGuy

• minimus
    minimus

Probably the saddest thing happening is the seperation of families. Worse, is when a family member or "friend" now views you as "dead".

• blondie
    blondie

Time changes things, people become more receptive, they start thinking, why did you leave or stop going and take a closer look at the KH/organization. Many here were not 2 years ago and posedt on JW DBs. There is hope. If old friends make their friendship conditional, then go out and find new ones. Friendships that won't end when you walk out the KH door.

Blondie

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Awww Dave... That's so sad - your pain is obvious in your post.

I have such a soft spot for guys named Dave - that's my little brother's name

hugs...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I don't feel angry or depressed about it anymore. I've taken back my life, and that's what's important.

Walter

• Frantic
    Frantic

Id say no contingency plan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit