Have you ever "partaken" at the memorial

by NikL 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I been partaking now. I feel that if a person is a Christian then he ought to partake. I don't what people think at all. When I partook for the first time, no one said a thing. Not my wife or anyone. My wife just asked me if I know for sure but that was it.

If you feel that Christians should, then do it, if not at the KH then at a church.

All the best.

• violias
    violias

I'm glad I have been out long enough I don't fret about this time of year. It's not like I had to worry about an invite- Jw's hardly ever come to my door and I have not received one invite to the memorial . I think when I left it was clear I was done. Still every memorial I felt like I should be there, but that passed after a few years. There is always the option of having your own memorial at home- you know if it really bothers you. I have only set foot in the KH for funerals etc and not many of them

It will get easier.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

I tried to eat the bread once when I was about 6 or 7, many many years ago. I was told off and made to feel stupid for following my biological imperative, obviously

• Sunnybear
    Sunnybear

I am not JW but I am learning about the beliefs for academic reasons. What is the memorial?

• NikL
    NikL

What is the memorial?

The memorial is where JWs celebrate the fact that Jesus died.

Whereas most of Christianity celebrates his ressurection.

The observance consists of a talk followed by a passing of the bread and wine. Only those that are "going to heaven" are supposed to partake. The rest just observe.

The problem I have ...among a ton of others, is that I can't find any scripture that says ONLY 144,000 are supposed to partake.

If it's NOT in the bible and people pass on the emblems, are they symbolicly rejecting Jesus sacrifice?

• carla
    carla

"What is the memorial?"- some of us call it the 'Reject Jesus memorial'

If you are a Christian and believe in communion, this is how it works in jw-ism- they all pass around the wine and bread and feel proud to reject it. If you decide you are one of the 'anointed' (only 144,000 anointed get to go to heaven) and decide to partake in their version of communion, you will probably be considered mentally diseased or unstable by the rest of the congregation and elders.

They only do this once a year and many fringe jw's or those with family members go to the memorial in order to keep a relationship with family.

• Michigan22
    Michigan22
    I have studied for over a year and recently stopped (not baptized, nor will I be.....) and I can't figure this one out. I know the push to get me to the Memorial Service is on the horizon with my (former) study conductor, but I can't see where the Scriptures tell me I can't partake in the JW equivalent of Communion. I would like to have the backup for this when I finally (once and for all ) completely disassociate myself. On the contrary, didn't Jesus say to eat this bread and take this cup in memory of me ? I didn't get the memo where I needed to be one of 144,000 men.
  • jwundubbed
    jwundubbed
    For a long time I have wanted to get a group of like 20 people together, dress up like JWs, and go partake one year. Just really throw their numbers off some year. We could say we were from some out of town congregations and were traveling during the memorial.
  • Wakanda
    Wakanda

jwundubbed,

Great idea, but they wouldn't count it. They would see it for what it is, and not turn it in to headquarters.. :(

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

No, but at the last one I went to ( I only attended about 3) I almost got up and left during that time because I was feeling offended. It felt so wrong to pass the symbols by with my husband again reminding me not to touch them. I was surprised at how upset I felt. I had really begun researching by that time so I was understanding the service unlike the previous times. Even those times bothered me, but not as strongly as the last one.

I didn't get up then, but I did tell me husband "we need to leave right now", when the service was over. No standing around talking for us. That was the last time I set foot in a KH.

It turns out my daughter, about 6 at the time, 13 now, also felt very strange and it seemed wrong to her too. I didn't know this until a few weeks ago when she shared that with me. She was glad not to go back there. ( I may have let out an audible sigh of relief at that moment)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit